Old 06-06-2021, 04:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Removing last mile of original seam sealer

Any product good for removing the last bit of seal sealer after the majority has been chipped or scraped away? I assume it has to be very thoroughly removed to prime.

And ... anyone ever try to remove seam sealer with a high pressure washer? Since I'm going to have it outside for some sand blasting I might try to power wash some areas. It's stripped down to a bare shell, seems like areas like the cowl etc. it might go a lot quicker if the washer would strip it out.

Last edited by dataway; 06-06-2021 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a heat gun and a sharp scraper for the heavy stuff then finished the rest with a knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder. Its a messy job!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n20ta2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 05:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Luckily most of mine is hard as rock and chips right off, but still some tight areas trying hold on to it.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20ta2 View Post
I used a heat gun and a sharp scraper for the heavy stuff then finished the rest with a knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder. Its a messy job!
/\ /\ What he said.. wire brush on a drill can work too.
On second gen Firebirds that were built in Ohio, they got dipped in lacquer primer. When you remove the seam sealer, you can see the red oxide on the metal, under it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For future reference .... power washer is only marginally effective for removing seal sealer ... and in most cases it was stuff so dried out you could run a putty knife along it would all fly right off.

I'll resort to mechanical means and heat then for the stubborn bits. And there are places on the interior of my Arlington GTO that I can see red primer beneath the sealer.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the preferred seam sealer these days. I had a 3M product saved somewhere, can't find it now.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve been using a SEM seam sealer....2 part and needs the special gun. They also have a self leveling seam sealer for certain applications. But the reg seam sealer is what you want. It has a spiral mixing tube. It can be applied over bare metal too.

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 12:51 AM
Senior Chief

This is the best tool I’ve used, and the carbide index blades seemingly last forever. Added bonus is that the shape fits my hand so well I can use it for long periods of time without fatigue.

Originally found it on the expensive tool truck, then researched to see who made it for them (at 1/3 the cost).

Bahco 625 Premium Ergonomic Carbide Scraper, 1", with Plastic Holder,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000288LOW...6456JXKS?psc=1

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 04:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
I’ve been using a SEM seam sealer....2 part and needs the special gun. They also have a self leveling seam sealer for certain applications. But the reg seam sealer is what you want. It has a spiral mixing tube. It can be applied over bare metal too.
Yeah, I saw that stuff, it's epoxy, and pricey. I recently did some solid surface countertop work that required a special gun and 2 part adhesive, impressive stuff. I'm guessing that seam sealer is very difficult to get off once it dries, it dries hard I assume?

Might have to get one of those tools.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yeah, I saw that stuff, it's epoxy, and pricey. I recently did some solid surface countertop work that required a special gun and 2 part adhesive, impressive stuff. I'm guessing that seam sealer is very difficult to get off once it dries, it dries hard I assume?

Might have to get one of those tools.
Iam sure it flexes with the body...once I put it on...paint it..it’s out the door. SEM also makes a seam sealer in black or white that comes in a caulking tube...that doesn’t smell / odor ....which is less expensive...and works well.

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
What's the preferred seam sealer these days. I had a 3M product saved somewhere, can't find it now.
My paint guy recommended this product. Seems to work fine.

Good luck with your project. I have all the pieces painted, should have the main body of my 68 in paint this weekend, then on to endless color sanding

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210608_184936973.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	567986  

The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtocv For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

Forgot to mention, Fusor 019 is the seam sealer I’ve been using. Fine for bare metal and sets quick. For instances where it matters I take a pic of the seam sealer I’m about to remove (just to recall the profile/look of it), then take one of those cheap plastic putty knives from HD and cut the profile I want I to the end. Shoot the sealer on and run the knife over it to give the same appearance. Overkill for my own drivers but I always take things too far lol.

I can’t remember if their special gun was really pricey but you’re welcome to use it if shipping back/forth would save you some $$$.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll give that a look since I think I already have the correct ration two part gun. Thanks much for the offer.