Old 06-12-2021, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 66-67 exhaust tips pics please

Ok, have a 66, getting a little tired of the disco look i got going on here.........went to a few car shows the last couple weeks, think you would see a 66-67 gto to get an idea........ahhhh no.

Anyone happen to have some nice shots of their exhaust tips so i can get a better idea of what i need to get.........not sure if i should get straight or maybe turn downs, its easier to see in a pic.

Thanks guys

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alignment done (9).jpg
Views:	401
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	568092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alignment done (13).jpg
Views:	401
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	568093  

Old 06-12-2021, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Correct Factory Exstensions ( Trumpets) for 1966

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1966 EXHAUST EXTENSION  5.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	568097   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 EXHAUST EXTENSION  2.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	568098   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 EXHAUST EXTENSION  3.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	568099   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 EXHAUST EXTENSION  7.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	568100   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 EXHAUST EXTENSION  X.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	568101  

Old 06-12-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

of course, these were installed on the ends of the factory resonators.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1966 EXHAUST EXTENSION  4.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	568102   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 EXHAUST RESONATOR FACTORY SHOT.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	568103   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 EXHAUST RESONATOR ON CAR 1.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	568104   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 EXHAUST RESONATOR NOS 2.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	568105  

Old 06-12-2021, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jeff, those look pretty good, but seeing i have nothing factory left not sure of that deal............im wondering how much pass the bumper i should be going without god knows whats comming out of my exhaust on the bumper............or if i should be a little short of the bumper...............keep the pics coming guys. lol

Rich

Old 06-12-2021, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went with a subtle look on my 67. I just didn't like the trumpet tips. I semi-polished them with steel wool. While I don't have a full picture of the back, these may give you another idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exhaust 1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	568110   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust 2.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	568111  

Old 06-12-2021, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the trumpets on my ‘67 for a while but I switched them out for simple turndowns. I wanted to like them, but to me they looked kind of tacked on…I thought they distracted from the car’s beautiful lines. But I’m a simple guy…switched from bullet to flat center caps on my Hurst wheels around the same time.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:50 AM
Senior Chief

I have trumpets on my 67 and turn downs on my 66. I like the trumpets because they don't stir up the dust as bad. It's amazing how different the two systems sound. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live on a dirt road so that limits my available choices. The bologna tips I installed are a nod to my day-two modifications I did in 1967 when I had a set of them installed when the car was less than a week old. Back then they were 2-1/2" and the pipes now are 3".

Tough to find a photo of the tips, but this cropped down version from a larger photo shows them pretty fair. Angle of photo makes them look offset but they are evenly spaced side to side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rearend blue goat.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	568309  

Old 06-16-2021, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the pic Mick, those look pretty good........just gotta make up my mind. lol

Rich

Old 06-16-2021, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think there are a few good options, stylistically speaking. Personally, I've never been a fan of the factory trumpet extensions. They just look kinda weird to my eye. I'm still making this decision for my own car, but I'm leaning toward simple turn-downs that are mostly tucked away, with a titanium Cerakote finish.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never liked any of the Pontiac factory chrome tips except for the '65 splitters and the 1970 dual tips.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 06-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just remembered the other reason why I got away from the trumpets. I thought they looked best tucked up high, but this created a situation where they made contact with the bumper. The rattling and occasional clunk got on my nerves and never could adjust them to find a happy medium. I'm running a 2.5" Pypes exhaust, so maybe not an issue with factory set-up.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3131.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	568371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3687.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	568372  

Old 06-17-2021, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gator, that is one fine looking car..........hard to tell in the pic, but i take it the turndowns are a inch or two before the bumper.

Rich

Old 06-17-2021, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Gator, that is one fine looking car..........hard to tell in the pic, but i take it the turndowns are a inch or two before the bumper.

Rich
Thanks. Yeah, a few inches before the bumper actually. When the exhaust was originally installed, the rear exhaust pipes had to be bent and angled down slightly so that the trumpets cleared the bumper. When I switched out the trumpets for the turndowns, I saw the unintended consequence…the turndowns hung down too far and were at an odd angle. So rather than removing the exhaust pipes and having them bent so that they were more tucked in and parallel with the ground, I just cut them back a couple inches. The turndowns ended up too far under the car, but they look better than they would have otherwise. It’s funny, this didn’t bother me at all until i installed +1” rear springs. Definitely more noticeable now, so it’s on my list of things to address.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm a bit late to this thread...
But I'll chime in!
I vote for trumpets. To me, the biggest problem I see with trumpets nowadays is alot of folks install them so they stick straight out. I don't think they look good at all that way. They need to be pointing down a bit.

I used a Pypes system, and the tailpipes are made to shoot straight out the back. To fix this, I cut up the rear pipes to get them to tuck up between the quarter panel and frame. This required cutting the straights and angling them up, as well as taking out an inch of length in front of the axle (in order to tuck the mufflers up too) But I digress. I used Pypes look-a-like trumpets and mounted them to two of their adapters that I cut in half and re-welded them at an angle to point the tips down. I gave them a half inch or so spacing under the bumper. I like them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1397.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	568457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1504.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	568458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6472.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	568459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6466.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	568460  

The Following User Says Thank You to squidtone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2021, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtone View Post
But I'll chime in!
I vote for trumpets. To me, the biggest problem I see with trumpets nowadays is alot of folks install them so they stick straight out. I don't think they look good at all that way. They need to be pointing down a bit.

I used a Pypes system, and the tailpipes are made to shoot straight out the back. To fix this, I cut up the rear pipes to get them to tuck up between the quarter panel and frame. This required cutting the straights and angling them up, as well as taking out an inch of length in front of the axle (in order to tuck the mufflers up too) But I digress. I used Pypes look-a-like trumpets and mounted them to two of their adapters that I cut in half and re-welded them at an angle to point the tips down. I gave them a half inch or so spacing under the bumper. I like them.
Nice. Not many people take the time to get 'em right. If they're not done right, they give off an aftermarket slip-on feel. I've been eyeing the EVT40 from Pypes for, like, forever. 2 1/2" and they're stainless.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Nice. Not many people take the time to get 'em right. If they're not done right, they give off an aftermarket slip-on feel.
I agree, the best looking trumpets I have seen were in a magazine, it was the 80s Collectible Automobile Magazine that was titled 1964-70 GTO: A History of The Great One. It showed a cameo ivory 66 with a black vinyl top that had the trumpets, man did that look sharp. I wish I could find a pic of that car and post it here, but no luck. Maybe someone has the article and can.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtone View Post
But I'll chime in!

Yours look perfect to me! Can I fly you out here to redo mine?

Old 06-22-2021, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Haha! Gator (Jeff), I'd be afraid to touch your car...it's kinda famous to me...being in the Hagerty ads...
But anyway, if you can spend 500 hours polishing old Hurst wheels, you can slice and dice your tailpipes!
But seriously your car is beautiful.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very good looking car Squidtone.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk