THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
Deadhead- POCI is far from a sinking ship. Smoke Signals just grabbed Chris Phillip, Rocky Rotella, Scott McGuire and Ted Alexander to continue on with the good work that HPP did over the years. We are doing a huge promotional campaign and are grabbing HPP advertisers with a great deal of success. POCI and Smoke Signals are picking up the void in the market and if you don't renew your membership, you will be doing yourself a great disservice because the POCI Board is investing a lot of money on this project and the naysayers will be proven wrong.
Wonderful info. I'm really out of the loop on this one. I think I was on the site once a long time back. Since I couldn't do anything without a paying for a logon I didn't give it much time. Kind of the same with the smoke signal magazine. I have heard of it. I have never seen one. Didn't even realize it was connected to the POCI site.

I just signed up for the 3 month. And just started looking around.

Thanks for the info.

I'm still a bit shocked that Petersons has not sent so much as a post card informing people that the magazine is done. If not for this board I wouldn't know about it.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Senior Chief

Default POCI at Norwalk??

Don,

Will POCI be at Norwalk this year so that we can sign up for the club and Smoke Signals? It used to be a Norwalk tradition to go renew HPP and get the new T-shirt. A booth at Norwalk for this purpose might be something to consider if not already in the plans.

-Kevin

Best of 12.88 @ 105 so far
Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 PM
PY VIP

Kevin- You nailed it. We will be at Norwalk and will be taking subscriptions. T-Shirts? In the works...

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 07-14-2014, 03:47 PM

We are looking forward to seeing everyone at Norwalk!

We will have extra copies of SMOKE SIGNALS, information on our 2015 Convention in Louisville, KY and we'll be taking new member applications and current member renewals.

Meanwhile, if anyone has questions on the POCI and club benefits feel free to call the Club Office at 877-368-3454 or send an email to pociworldhq@aol.com

Old 07-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Suspended

Question

Quote:
The October issue is the last one- the end of the line. The reason that there is no mention of it is that it was cancelled on the last couple of days of production. If you will note, the editorial was run without a byline. I don't know who wrote it but it wasn't Chris Phillip. That piece was written after he was let go and he never got the chance to write it. Normally, the editorial was one of the last things he did for a given issue.

The subscription cards are put in every magazine without regard to its status- it is part of the publishing process and it would be too hard to delete them, so they stayed in. Don't be fooled into thinking that there are future issues coming because there aren't. Several articles that were originally intended for publication in HPP will be published in Smoke Signals. If you haven't joined POCI yet, it is time to do so. Log onto www.poci.org
POCI Questions

1. Is there a way to subscribe to Smoke/join other than using a PayPal account? If there is I didn't see it listed here: http://www.poci.org/POCI_Membership.cfm

Quote:
POCI MEMBERSHIP FEES
United States:

$35.00 per year: includes the mailing of our SMOKE SIGNALS monthly magazine

Canada:
$37.00 per year (US funds): includes the mailing of our SMOKE SIGNALS monthly magazine

International (outside of US & Canada):
$46.00 per year (US funds): includes the mailing of our SMOKE SIGNALS monthly magazine

Electronic Membership:
$20.00 per year (US funds): view the SMOKE SIGNALS magazine on-line from our website (you will receive a member user name & password). Note: the SMOKE SIGNALS magazine is not mailed to Electronic Members.
You may add "Associate Members" (immediate family members) for $2.00 each per year.
PayPal users - NEW MEMBERS:
For new members, call the Club Office at (877) 368-3454 for instructions, or email pociworldhq@aol.com.
PayPal users - RENEWING MEMBERS:
Call the Club Office or send an email to the Club Office pociworldhq@aol.com to inform us that you wish to use PayPal. Include your membership number, the # of years you wish to renew for, your membership type choice (mailed SMOKE SIGNALS, or the "electronic" membership, and we will email you a PayPal invoice for you to pay).
Note: for credit card charges, the MAILING ADDRESS zip code
must match the BILLING ADDRESS zip code of your credit card.
Call or email the Club Office if you have any questions on this process.
(877) 368-3454

2. Also: The $35per yr, is that still from Jan to Dec, or if I subscribe/join now in July for $35.00, will I have to join once again for another $35.00 in January?

3. I prefer a hardcopy of SMOKE AND Digital, is there a dual option (like w Hemmings) – digital and hardcopy available? If so, what’s the order designation & cost?

Thanks in advance for the response.

P.S. I just spent $8.95 ea. + shipping for the last 2 issues of HPP today… RIP.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the questions.

1. Is there a way to subscribe to Smoke/join other than using a PayPal account? There is Credit Card capabilities on www.poci.org (Visa, Mastercard or Discover), you can mail in a check or money order to POCI, PO Box 68, Maple Plain, MN 55359. Or call the club office and join over the phone with a credit card 877-368-3454

2. Also: The $35per yr, is that still from Jan to Dec, or if I subscribe/join now in July for $35.00, will I have to join once again for another $35.00 in January? It is 1-year from the join date, so if you join today (7/14/14), you'll have an active membership through 7/14/15

3. I prefer a hardcopy of SMOKE AND Digital, is there a dual option (like w Hemmings) – digital and hardcopy available? If so, what’s the order designation & cost? The $20/year "electronic" membership gets you access to the digital copies (back to 2006), from our website; for the $35/yr, you get BOTH the mailed copy and you will have access to the 2006 and forward digital copies

Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacOaklandClub View Post
Thanks for the questions.

1. Is there a way to subscribe to Smoke/join other than using a PayPal account? There is Credit Card capabilities on www.poci.org (Visa, Mastercard or Discover), you can mail in a check or money order to POCI, PO Box 68, Maple Plain, MN 55359. Or call the club office and join over the phone with a credit card 877-368-3454

2. Also: The $35per yr, is that still from Jan to Dec, or if I subscribe/join now in July for $35.00, will I have to join once again for another $35.00 in January? It is 1-year from the join date, so if you join today (7/14/14), you'll have an active membership through 7/14/15

3. I prefer a hardcopy of SMOKE AND Digital, is there a dual option (like w Hemmings) – digital and hardcopy available? If so, what’s the order designation & cost? The $20/year "electronic" membership gets you access to the digital copies (back to 2006), from our website; for the $35/yr, you get BOTH the mailed copy and you will have access to the 2006 and forward digital copies
1st Thxs for the quick reply to my Q’s. I called the number above and was surprised to have someone pick up and take my membership info.

My experience: Well that was the easiest and most painless (re)joining POCI I've ever experienced.

Thxs for the quick & courteous customer service "Mr. P!"

Old 07-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I'm still a bit shocked that Petersons has not sent so much as a post card informing people that the magazine is done. If not for this board I wouldn't know about it.
If you're referring to Petersen Publishing, they've been out of the picture for a long time...Bob Petersen sold all the magazines to a private equity group back in 1996. That group sold the magazines to Emap in 1999, they sold them to Primedia in 2001, and they sold them to Source Interlink in 2007.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 PM

I joined POCI in 78 to learn more about my Pontiacs, source parts and enjoy other members cars. While attending a POCI convention I had the chance to suscribe to a new magazine Thunder Am that was going to feature only Pontiacs so I subscribed and received the first issue. It seems it has run its course and today I received the the last issue. I would like to thank all of the past contributers for many hours enjoyment. Also would like to thank Don for picking up the torch and making Smoke Signals the fine magazine it is today. Barry

Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The October issue is the last one- the end of the line. The reason that there is no mention of it is that it was cancelled on the last couple of days of production. If you will note, the editorial was run without a byline. I don't know who wrote it but it wasn't Chris Phillip. That piece was written after he was let go and he never got the chance to write it. Normally, the editorial was one of the last things he did for a given issue.

The subscription cards are put in every magazine without regard to its status- it is part of the publishing process and it would be too hard to delete them, so they stayed in. Don't be fooled into thinking that there are future issues coming because there aren't. Several articles that were originally intended for publication in HPP will be published in Smoke Signals. If you haven't joined POCI yet, it is time to do so. Log onto www.poci.org
What!?!

I just got my October issue in today's mail!?!

I am also pretty sure I recently renewed!

Bummer!

I've been subscribed for the better part of twenty years now!

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to collect back issues now.

(looking into POCI thanks for the tip!)

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Kevin- You nailed it. We will be at Norwalk and will be taking subscriptions. T-Shirts? In the works...
Thanks Don
I will subscribe at Norwalk in a couple weeks

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got a chance to talk with Don at the POCI convention this year... and they are really putting together some great stuff!

Bringing in Chris, Rocky and the others is fantastic news. I also like the backing they have from the national club to try and expand the membership base to younger folks as well. In my opinion, this should continue to be a real priority for the musclecar hobby in general.

I would highly recommend everyone here become a POCI member, and if you haven't ever been to a national convention, check it out. What a great selection of amazing Pontiacs!

Cheers,
Tim

73 Trans Am, SD-455, 4-Speed, Brewster Green
73 Formula, 455, 4-Speed, Ascot Silver
73 Formula, 455, Navaho Orange Survivor
Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have been a member of POCI since I was 15; 20+ years and the recent facelift of Smoke Signals has been great.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no doubt that POCI is a great group, but for someone living in Western Canada, I am not of any events ect that they put on that are even within a day's drive;
Does anyone have any way of showing potential POCI members what an issue of Smoke Signals is like?
(I clicked the link earlier, and saw nothing showing me what an issue might be like)

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 PM

You bet, click here to see an on-line version of the July 2014 Smoke Signals

Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sort of a co-benefit of being a National/International POCI member - is that it is also a pre-requisite for joining any Local POCI Chapter.

Local Chapters are usually $10-20 per year and most of those also have a monthly newsletter with car stuff , articles , feature cars , classifieds , etc
Monthly meetings
Covered Dish meetings, etc ...
Car Show Caravans
All the Cruise-In's and Hot Spot info - and Caravans to Cruise In's and Hot Spots
Car show calenders statewide
Convention Caravans
etc
etc etc
and great comradeship

you can join as many Local Chapters as you wish even if you live on the other side of the country.

A lot of the Local Chapters are some really strong clubs and have things going on all the time during fair weather.
check out the one closest to you
guests are usually always welcome at meetings - especially if you own a Pontiac and might be a potential prospective member candidate.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Back to the last of HPP OP:

I called HPP's FL's toll-free customer service number 2 days ago and ordered a single issue ea. of the September & October 2014 final High Performance Pontiac issues.

A young lady by the name of Brandy; who handled my order; was professional, courteous and extremely helpful.

Upon her verificatipn that they indeed had my requested issues in stock; I requested having them sent FedEx Ground giving her a $20 ship-to-me budget. Why? I didn't want the USPS to destroy my copy's of the last two HPP issues. I expected to receive them within a work week.

They were delivered to my door today! 2-day delivery instead of 4-6 week snail mail. I've burnt up more time and $$$ over the past weeks seeking them @ local B&N Bookstores. Suffice to say I'm a happy camper! And I suggest being nice to the customer service rep. you deal with, it's not their fault the magazine's been axed by corporate - is it?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow No longer required....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Sort of a co-benefit of being a National/International POCI member - is that it is also a pre-requisite for joining any Local POCI Chapter.
Membership in POCI in order to join a local or international chapter is no longer required as of the revised bylaws dated May, 2012. It was determined that permitting new members to join any POCI chapter FIRST, and then encouraging those new chapter members to join POCI made more sense than requiring new prospective chapter members to write two checks when they only wanted to join a chapter. This change was made to grow chapter memberships and to allow their members freedom of choice when deciding to also join POCI. It is now POCI's prime responsibility to recruit new members, not the chapters. Chapters are encouraged to promote POCI membership.

Thanks for your positive comments on the FULL POCI experience .

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 07-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacOaklandClub View Post
You bet, click here to see an on-line version of the July 2014 Smoke Signals
Thank you very much!

Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can anyone help me to figure out how to confirm that I will be getting a refund?

I just renewed in March for a two year term;
I did use a link that I found through my order confirmation to email someone over there - in the hopes that I see a refund.
I will be processing my POCI membership momentarily;
To the powers that be, thank you for allowing me to see the July issue.

Quote:
THANK YOU for your POCI Membership!

An email will be sent to you shortly confirming your membership registration.
In leau of the NFG two year HPP subscription, I now have a two year "Active Canadian" membership!

Last edited by unruhjonny; 07-17-2014 at 03:02 PM.