Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 AM

Default interesting spacer on rear coil '69 GTO

I was working on a fuel tank sending unit replacement on my '69 GTO Judge convert this weekend, noticed this odd spacer on the rear coil spring on the passenger side. I assume this is not from the factory, any ideas, maybe an aftermarket item used to help out a tired spring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4979.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	459458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4980.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	459459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4981.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	459460  

Old 07-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Note-there is NOT a spacer on the driver's side....

Old 07-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Senior Chief

That is part of an aftermarket rear lift kit sold by companies like Mr. Gasket and others during the late 60’s and early 70’s. I installed those on my 64 back in the day. The kit consisted of two round tube spacers, spring plates, a longer bolts. The idea was to lift the rear of the car without putting spacers in the spring which would stiffen and reduce spring travel. The kits today use the same basic principal though the spacers are now solid aluminum.

As to why your car only has one, it could be a sagging spring issue as you suggested or done for weight distribution, or ?????

Old 07-24-2017, 11:33 AM

thanks, I appreciate the feedback! that's what I was thinking but wanted to check, I suppose the spare tire too ads some extra weight on the passenger side. I plan to install new coils but wondered about that spacer only on one side