THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default So was Oct the last HPP?

I read through the mag from cover to cover and didn't a darn thing about the end of HPP or that being the last issue anywhere. What gives?

Old 07-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Parallel discussion here: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...01#post5232301 According to earlier reports from those in the know, October was the last issue.

I figured there would be at least a message from the editor in there as well, but as pointed out the magazines are prepared several months in advance so apparently they weren't able to include a final message.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is the last issue, it's ironic that they have a subscription insert in the issue...

Old 07-13-2014, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kinda sucks that I'm paid through July of 2017.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Kinda sucks that I'm paid through July of 2017.
I heard they are refunding to those who paid past Oct. Might take awhile though.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 07-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
If it is the last issue, it's ironic that they have a subscription insert in the issue...
Times 2 on that point. I'll believe it when no longer get my magazine.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:18 PM
PY VIP

The October issue is the last one- the end of the line. The reason that there is no mention of it is that it was cancelled on the last couple of days of production. If you will note, the editorial was run without a byline. I don't know who wrote it but it wasn't Chris Phillip. That piece was written after he was let go and he never got the chance to write it. Normally, the editorial was one of the last things he did for a given issue.

The subscription cards are put in every magazine without regard to its status- it is part of the publishing process and it would be too hard to delete them, so they stayed in. Don't be fooled into thinking that there are future issues coming because there aren't. Several articles that were originally intended for publication in HPP will be published in Smoke Signals. If you haven't joined POCI yet, it is time to do so. Log onto www.poci.org

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 07-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably should just put an old laptop in the can and be done with magazines. I really have enjoyed them, but when it's time it's time. This era is over, and the sooner we all admit it the less aggravation we will all have. I am as guilty as anyone of clinging to stuff, but I am done with magazines piling up all over the place, the dwindling usefulness, lack of content etc. I just dropped POCI for the same reason. Jumping from one sinking ship to the next is just prolonging the inevitable.

If you are tuned in here, this is as good as it gets for a Pontiac fan! Just don't turn your camera on if you make the switch please.

It is lame that no mention of it was ever made to paying customers in the final issues. There is no excuse for treating them/us that way. Already gone to press - blah, blah, blah. That is just crap. Nobody makes these type decisions on such short notice that it can not be addressed in a professional manner. There are so many examples of it in this day and age that it is all but expected. Just duck out at the last minute and nobody will be able to say anything. Please. I also like how they continued sending out spam solicitations since we first figured out the Mag was history.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress

Last edited by Deadhead; 07-13-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:41 PM
PY VIP

Deadhead- POCI is far from a sinking ship. Smoke Signals just grabbed Chris Phillip, Rocky Rotella, Scott McGuire and Ted Alexander to continue on with the good work that HPP did over the years. We are doing a huge promotional campaign and are grabbing HPP advertisers with a great deal of success. POCI and Smoke Signals are picking up the void in the market and if you don't renew your membership, you will be doing yourself a great disservice because the POCI Board is investing a lot of money on this project and the naysayers will be proven wrong.

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Old 07-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
If you will note, the editorial was run without a byline. I don't know who wrote it but it wasn't Chris Phillip. That piece was written after he was let go and he never got the chance to write it. Normally, the editorial was one of the last things he did for a given issue.
Now that you mention it, I did notice there was no signature on the editorial and it didn't seem like Chris Phillip's usual writing style.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Deadhead- POCI is far from a sinking ship. Smoke Signals just grabbed Chris Phillip, Rocky Rotella, Scott McGuire and Ted Alexander to continue on with the good work that HPP did over the years. We are doing a huge promotional campaign and are grabbing HPP advertisers with a great deal of success. POCI and Smoke Signals are picking up the void in the market and if you don't renew your membership, you will be doing yourself a great disservice because the POCI Board is investing a lot of money on this project and the naysayers will be proven wrong.
Don
Thanks for this information.
So Chris Phillips and the rest of HPP staff are now going to be employed and write for a new expanded magazine version of the Smoke Signals?
How will someone find or get this new magazine?
Thanks Rich

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishieldchief View Post
Don
Thanks for this information.
So Chris Phillips and the rest of HPP staff are now going to be employed and write for a new expanded magazine version of the Smoke Signals?
How will someone find or get this new magazine?
Thanks Rich
Smoke Signals come with your POCI membership.
http://www.poci.org/POCI_Membership.cfm

Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinestes View Post
Smoke Signals come with your POCI membership.
http://www.poci.org/POCI_Membership.cfm
Thanks for the info, I'll be a new member.

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM

I'll hate to see HPP go,even though most issues were kind of light on tech articles. When PE went under they substituted car enthusiast, no refund option. Anyway, I'll be subscribing to smoke signals in the future.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hopefully you will complete the month to month story on the GTO, and show an article for the '74. I was enjoying that, as well as the "What IF" section on the Pontiacs that could have been. Things such as the E body Grand Prix and so forth.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455

Isn't smoke signals all 'stock' or do they have modified cars too?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by takid455 View Post
Isn't smoke signals all 'stock' or do they have modified cars too?
They do all kinds of Pontiacs. Stock, restored, modified, customs, race cars, hot rods, you name it.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I talked to the guy pushing subscriptions at Hot Rod Power Tour, and he said they would just add on to your existing subscriptions if you had other magazines from the publisher. I also received Popular Hot Rodding. So I guess it will be added to my Hot Rod or Car Craft subscriptions. To bad the HPP and PHR were the better mags, HR and CC I get because there only $10 a year. They get tossed in the trash after a quick reading. Guess I'll have to become a POCI member.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 AM
PY VIP

To take nothing away from Hot Rod and Car Craft, the Pontiac hobby is being better served by POCI. I actually like both HR and CC- they are both very good magazines from the standpoint of meeting their target audiences and are presented very well. You may not like the content but you cannot argue with the layout and overall quality. We will be seeing some Pontiac content in upcoming issues of Hot Rod and I hope that trend continues.

There are a lot of misconceptions about POCI and Smoke Signals. Let me first say that since I took over the magazine in 2006, I have tried to be much more inclusive, covering not just the Silver Streak era cars but everything. We feature musclecars, restorations, DIY tech, racing, events and our own conventions. I have set high standards for photography, we have a Advanced Placement English teacher doing the proofreading and oh yeah, we have a huge classified section. We have a three-month trial subscription that is only $10.00 and when you are in, you can download digital copies of Smoke Signals back to 2006. Give it a try and I think you will think it is worth the money. Log into poci.org or call 877-368-3454.

www.ponchoperfection.com

Author:

Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Default smoke signals

I opted for the online version this year. I think its $15 cheaper a year. Been a member since 1985. Its only as good as the input given. If you have a story or tech article you think is worthy submit it or contact Don. My dad and I have had 2 of our cars featured in smoke by submitting them. There are a lot of great builds right on this forum that could be used.