73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 PM

Default LEMANS OR GTO ?

It's not a GTO just a Lemans . I get this from so many people it's irritating , is it the people and show judge's that don't know these car's and there history or just me ?. Since I have finished the car I go to the show's and get he same response from people and judges ( it's a Lemans ) No and yes it's a GTO OPTION on a Lemans just as the 64 and 65 GTO's were option's on the Lemans. If it was not for the GTO option on the Lemans and it's great success it is more than likely the 66-71 GTO would not have been. So why do people and judges refer the car as a Lemans and not value it as a GTO. It's what he manufacture refer's to it as, in it's brochure's and manual's. As well as the three letter's on the fender and trunk spell out . I know it's not the most liked model in the GTO line up but it is what it is a GTO. I guess if it's not a EVERYONE GOT ONE CAR than it does not count ( camero mustang , chevell ) sorry but even the 66-71 GTO'S . Yes my favorite is a 67 but NOT EVERYONE wants the same type of car. It's puzzling when people come and talk about the car they all say the same ( you don't see many of these any more it's nice to see something different ) than they say the same old thing that pisses me off it's a LEMAN'S . Well no it's not completely right you see and I explain and even bring out the info ( in my case i'ts 1 of 187 ). Now if that was a much more popular car this would be amazing , how did you find such a rare car ? BUY NO it's just a LEMANS . NO IT'S A GTO

Old 07-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got similar crap with my Grand Am years ago at car shows.
"The Grand Am was a LeMans option."
"They came with a 350, right?"
Some shows didn't even have a class for non-GTO A-bodies. Not that I cared about a plastic trophy.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why do you care? Unless you want to prove them wrong or right who gives a chit?Lemans ,Tempest,GTO,T-37 GT-37 64 or 72....I have a Pontiac, end of story.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:57 AM
Suspended

I have a 73 GTO, I bought mine new & I didn't buy a LeMans. I get the same thing, sometimes. Not so much anymore because most of the people around here have a little bit of Pontiac knowledge form me & a few of my friends who have made them understand. If you tell them it's a GTO & they still tell you it's a LeMans, Ask what their driving because most will say , well i don't have a car right now. Then you can tell them when they have some knowledge of cars come back & talk other wise just go away. Or hopefully they have a MOPAR & they say they have a Roadrunner or GTX then you can say OH ! you mean you have a Satalight, & see how fast they start to argue with you about that. But keep up the good word You have a GTO just like I do & lots of others do. Including the 64-65 GTO's & the 72-74 GTO's. Say it loud & say it Proud. We own a Pontiac !!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I get very irritated with a majority of so called Pontiac "experts" that frequent the large shows anymore. Most are in the mindset if it was made after 1973 it's inferior, and it's "just" an option package. They don't like it when the fact is that the '64-'65 and '72 is in the same boat.. I have quit attending a majority of these show because of all of the toolsheds in the hobby. I like the cars and that's all that matters!

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 07-15-2015, 11:13 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
I got similar crap with my Grand Am years ago at car shows.
"The Grand Am was a LeMans option."
"They came with a 350, right?"
Some shows didn't even have a class for non-GTO A-bodies. Not that I cared about a plastic trophy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
I get very irritated with a majority of so called Pontiac "experts" that frequent the large shows anymore. Most are in the mindset if it was made after 1973 it's inferior, and it's "just" an option package. They don't like it when the fact is that the '64-'65 and '72 is in the same boat.. I have quit attending a majority of these show because of all of the toolsheds in the hobby. I like the cars and that's all that matters!
Same boat w our '73 Grand Am sorry to say. Really couldn't care to educate or "justify" to so called Pontiac "experts" about the authentic Pontiac historic euro competitors design of the Grand Am...

I just smile at all of the attention it gets when it's parked in the driveway, driving or trailering down the road w many taking pix, blowing their horns and giving have to laugh when situations like the lady who ran up to us and said "OMG - I had one just like it!" and as we talk further she says "I had a 350 in my Cutlas."

Funny, in our '67 GTO or '78 or '79 TA's we also get looks and thumb up...just not the same "what is that?" we get w our 1973 Pontiac Grand Am

Old 07-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I get very irritated with a majority of so called Pontiac "experts" that frequent the large shows anymore.
The one time I did a show in my '73 Grand Am the disrespect from club members and the general public caused me to never do another.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. Having a car that makes me smile every time I drive or even look at it is what matters to me. I could care less what others label it. I'm done with attending car shows...or shall I say "clone shows".

Old 07-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Suspended

As I said before in my area I get some people here that know the car I don't get those kind of comments much any more. Most of the time I get ,, I looks great & some seem to think its good to see a car thats not another camaro or mustang. I guess I'm in a good part of the country as lots a guys & gals around here are pretty good with the comments about my 73 GTO. Even more when I start it up & they can hear it run & see it get up & go. The comments then are about how good it runs & sounds.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:49 PM

I don't take some opinions too serious. They either know what they are looking at or they don't. I still enjoy going to shows. We need to represent our cars. After all that's a good reason to go and tell people what our cars are and how they came to be. I take most nay sayers with a grain of salt anyway. Just my feeling.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ask to see their GTO. If they are an expert they should have one.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Suspended

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
Ask to see their GTO. If they are an expert they should have one.
If you really wanna see them throw this factoid @ them and

"The Grand Am was originally intended to be the GTO for 1973, but it became its own distinct model while the GTO became an option package to the LeMans."

Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My '65 GTO is titled as a Lemans.

It helped with the insurance rates at the time.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Title blocked.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	403013  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-18-2015, 12:11 AM
Suspended

The reason it's titled as a LeMans is because they had/have to title them as what the car is not what the option is. My 73 says the same thing but it is a real GTO to.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:54 AM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Same boat w our '73 Grand Am sorry to say. Really couldn't care to educate or "justify" to so called Pontiac "experts" about the authentic Pontiac historic euro competitors design of the Grand Am...

I just smile at all of the attention it gets when it's parked in the driveway, driving or trailering down the road w many taking pix, blowing their horns and giving have to laugh when situations like the lady who ran up to us and said "OMG - I had one just like it!" and as we talk further she says "I had a 350 in my Cutlas."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	403089  

Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up Fan of the '73 GA "chiseled" sculpted body lines here

Quote:
...I just smile at all of the attention it gets when it's parked in the driveway, driving or trailering down the road... Funny, in our '67 GTO or '78 or '79 TA's we also get looks and thumb up...just not the same "what is that?" we get w our 1973 Pontiac Grand Am
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	403090