67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Chief

John/SDBob,
The grease pencil numbers on my fan shroud don't match up with any obvious other numbers associated with the TA.

not related to vin in any way
not linked to eun
not linked to weekly production number listed on trim tag either...

and unfortunately i did NOT find any buildsheet during restoration.

:-(

PS my RA II didnt have a buildsheet either. Both were california built cars. not sure if thats why (ie different line procedures?) but i was both surprised and disappointed when both (previously unrestored) cars came up empty on that front.

Last edited by ramair2; 01-17-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is exactly why the numbers are a mystery. They don't match up with any other info about the car. It is an assembly line worker only way of tracking the vehicle as it came down the line.

BTW: I'm not saying that this is what your number is. Just stating it as a possibility.

Not the first or last oddity about these cars that we all love so much.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 01-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Senior Chief

SD,

Understood.

My comment re: not having the buildsheet was meant to underscore the fact that I am unable to "test your hypothessis" since, unfortunately, I don't have that document.

No doubt future mysteries like this one (will keep coming) ! ;-)

Old 01-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt S
You can disagree, but I confirmed this with JohnZ, who was there (and was a plant manager and wrote the assembly article, http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml).
And just *why* would you protect the backseat when shipping it from the assembly plant? The fronts are what got protected so they wouldn't get dirty driving onto the transporters.

You called them dealer prep covers, that I agree with. The dealer added them while doing the prep.
I stand corrected. Thank you for the information.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Default AT-1

Anybody ever seen this??? Original paint on this one 69 WH RA IV.
AT-1 ink stamp on driver side. Someone must know what it means??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage car pics #2 039.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	119627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage car pics #2 040.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	119628  

Old 01-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 69 TRANS AM

THERE IS A 69 TRANS AM SITTING IN THE ALLEY OF AN APARTMENT COMPLEX IN CENTRAL CALIFORNIA. IT IS A REAL TRANS AM ALTHOUGH IT IS ROUGH. HOOD IS STEEL (MISSING SCOOPS AND TUBES BUT HAS PANS?) SPOILER LOOKS AFTERMARKET THOUGH HAS 1 INCH SWAY BAR THOUGH. FUNNIEST PART NO JOKE! TWO CHILDS SEATS IN THE CAR ONE IN THE FRONT AND THE OTHER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BACKSEAT. AND THEY SAY THESE CARS ARN'T FAMILY CARS? ONE OF THESE DAYS I WILL TRACK THE GUY DOWN AND SEE IF I CAN GET HIM TO SELL IT. ALSO I HAVE HEARD FROM A FEW GUYS THERE IS A RAM AIR II CAR UP IN THE FOOTHILLS AS WELL GUY DRIVES IT ONCE IN AWHILE HOPE THIS GIVES YOU GUYS SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT HEAR IS A PIC OF THE TRANS AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-5620.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	119958  

Old 01-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not nice to tease!

Welcome to the board!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

lol thanks for the welcome i just found this site and i really love it! and sorry wasn't supposed to be a tease just to give everyone hope that there are still cars out there don't give up they are in the wierdest places. bottom line don't look where everyone else has (ie the trans am sitting in the storage yard in socal before castaic! yes it is real people and the waiting list is twenty two pages long!!!) start looking where you never expect to find em! cause that is where the ones that are left are at! if it was easy to find em lol then they would all be gone already ;-)

Old 01-24-2008, 09:47 PM

Bruno
Your Trans Am looks great! Mine is back from the body shop and am working on it everyday so we can beat on them at Stanton in Sept. Can't wait!
Curt

Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno17
Mine is ready to go too!! Drove it yesterday for the first time!

Better see my doctor............my erection is lasting more than 4 hours!
LOL, I think I just retired from "pure stock drag racing",I mean that's all you need a lighter car with another ra4. I think I'll take up yoga or fishing.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I'm reviving this old thread to ask RamairII if that "other" RAIV you bought from me is still in your possesion? Since I've been gone from this site for a long time, I've lost track of its' progress.
Also, congrats from here too on the great article on the '69 TA. Truly, a once in a life time find. If you ever need any of the pre-resto pics, that you may have miss-placed, I've kept all the ones you sent me back then.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 Raiv convts

wondering if any more 69 convts, have shown up??????????????

Old 11-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 RED RAIV hardtop...

I know the red one you sold, is still up in NY, a very nice car.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
I'm reviving this old thread to ask RamairII if that "other" RAIV you bought from me is still in your possesion? Since I've been gone from this site for a long time, I've lost track of its' progress.
Also, congrats from here too on the great article on the '69 TA. Truly, a once in a life time find. If you ever need any of the pre-resto pics, that you may have miss-placed, I've kept all the ones you sent me back then.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A very nice car indeed. IMNSAHO, one if not thee finest '69 in the country. Even though I only owned it about 3 years, I still have some of the coolest memories of it from back then.
RamairII, are you out there??

Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Ric! PM left...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry so slow to respond, RAII. Thanks for the update. Do you think the current owner would mind sending me a pic or two of it?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Senior Chief

Sure no worries... Just post or PM an email address I can send you a few finished shots.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
My Ra IV matador red 4 speed bird is also from Bud Meadows Pontiac as confirming what roundport had previously posted . It is also all original drivetrain and original paint . Bud Meadows knew how to order pontiacs as I have seen other rare pontiacs come out of that dealership
Matt,

I was talking to a guy earlier this evening who owned your red '69 RAIV from 1974 to 1985 when he sold it to GM. I believe he knows the complete history of the car from day 1. I don't know how much history you have on it but if your are interested in talking to him let me know and I will send you his contact info.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How many Matador Red Survivor RAIV Firebirds are out there? If you're reffering to Matts', that is the same one I owned. And no one person owned it from '74 to '85 because I had it from '75 to late '79. This is the car that was featured in the May 1980 Popular Hot Rodding mag, along with Jim Jones '63 Catalina.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
How many Matador Red Survivor RAIV Firebirds are out there? If you're reffering to Matts', that is the same one I owned. And no one person owned it from '74 to '85 because I had it from '75 to late '79. This is the car that was featured in the May 1980 Popular Hot Rodding mag, along with Jim Jones '63 Catalina.
Actually, it is Matt's car that he owned. His name is Keith A. and lives in/near Spokane. As I understand, Matt already contacted him and they discussed the car's history. I may have misunderstood him as far as exactly what time frames he owned it but I am pretty sure I remember him saying he sold to GM in '85.