67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dave, i'm guessing finger pull as this is an april car with it. Just got body back from blaster yesterday and whoooo, time to order some sheetmetal! I've well surpassed his budget for the month so i may have to slow down, i'm waiting to hear from him with the go ahead. Should have the motor back in the next week or so, but it looks like we'll be spending some time on the body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2494.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	195295  

Last edited by notime; 01-27-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Senior Chief

Default 67 Firebird Restoration

For my restoration project I have always tried to buy the best available products, so when it came to wheelwell mouldings, I bought genuine GM on the recommendation of PY and others. So, can someone tell me as well as the eight round holes for the fixing screws on the rear mouldings, what is the purpose of the square hole at the top of the arc? See thumbnail attached.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC11867.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	195343  

Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dont know the answer dave, but here are some updated photos. i"m just waiting on money and sheetmetal at this point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2896.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	196865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2897.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	196866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2899.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	196867   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	196868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2893.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	196869  

Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Notime!
Looks like your Firebird has got serious case of tin worm! The media blasting certainly shows it up. My car looked fine until I had it media blasted and it showed up that I needed floor pans front to back either side of the transmission tunnel, new trunk floor, new wheel housings, new inner wheel housings! Rear quarters I could already tell were shot. So, like yourself, my Firebird needed major surgery, best of luck with your project.
Dave From England

Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

I am trying to restore my '67 Firebird as near to how if left the factory as possible. PHS documents says that my car had custom wheel covers. When I bought the car, the wheels on it were just totally wrong for a any Pontiac! I did manage to obtain a set of Rally II's and along with the correct red line tyres plan to install these as being in England it is difficult to obtain parts unless shipping from the states, and wheels are heavy and expensive to ship.

However, I still plan on looking for a set of steel wheels as an alternative. Are the steel wheel just plain Jane's, and is the wheel cover pictured the correct one for the year and car as I managed to pick up these at Hershey some years ago?

Maybe someone reading this can also look at two previous posts, and maybe answer my queries on these other subjects, as so far I have had no sucsess?

Thanking you in anticipation
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC11879.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	197379  

Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had an '81 Grand Prix with wire wheel covers just like that. Here is a link to help see the correct ones as well as the later ones like you have on the same page. It shows them as '77-'81
http://www.hubcaps.org/firebird.html

Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Updates. Its been a while, but ive gotten very busy and trying to please everyone. Heres some new pics of bird. Have you got yours done yet dave? All metal work is done and motor is finished. Started on bodywork today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	216583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3334.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	216586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3343.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	216587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3338.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	216588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3335.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	216589  

Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Senior Chief

Hi notime
I thought youd forgotton about me.No the cars not done Ive spent all winter wire brushing cleaning & painting hardware & small parts.I really wanted to waxoil the body but it was just to cold in the shop,below freezing.Icould have heated the shop while I did it but would I have caused condensation & finished up sealing water in toight it best not to risk it.Waited for the better weather then got really buisy with work & didnt have the time. eventually got it waxoiled and now Im ready to start hanging parts on the body but before I do I need to know would it be incorrect or not to spray the underbody with Shutz maybe you or someone else can tell me if the 67s came from the factory like this or was it a dealer option or was it not done at all.Ive got 3 coats of Bill Hersch chassis black on there but im not sure its enough protection as I aim to drive the car as well as show it.guess you didnt make your deadline of finishing the car this summer either. Will post some photos of progress once I find out about the shutz.
Dave from England

Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Havent worked on it in a couple months, got slammed with some little jobs that became bigger jobs and just trying to finish them up to get back on it. As far as the shutz, the factory only put it in the wheelhouses and on trunk floor between frame rail and trunk drop off. Will update when i get back on it, however we did get the body roughed in and promised customer it will be done by spring.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Chief

Hi notime
thought your deadline was a bit ambitious but I must admit you started at a hell of a fast pace and I began to think you would make it.Not sur what you mean by frame rails and trunk drop off as there is no frame to speake of & being we do speak a different language over here when it comes to cars can you explain a little more simply for a bumb Englishman.Im also having problems fitting the drivers side kick panel because if the wires for the courtesy light are meant to tuck behind the kick panel then it appears they will be too short to reach the courtesy light bracket so can you or anybody who reads this help me solve the problem as you all know you can make much progress until this panel is in position
Dave

Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

had some time to spare this afternoon so I thought Id spend it on my 67 convertible. Ive just about done all the tearing down stripping cleaning wire brushing,painting,welding,hamering etc.Now its time to start hanging a few things on the tub.Ive put the tail lights & wiring harness in & the dash harness ,drivers side kick panel,emergency brake & pedals all the switches & today I decieded to fit the instrument cluster it seened a good idea to fit the new speedo cable at the same time rather than crawling uder the dash at a later date.I had also bought a new speedo cable grommet part #RFU270 the catalog saysjust like the original GM push your speedo cable right through the hole & install it in the firewall WRONG maybe if you didnt have any ends on the cable but how do you push connector that measures 3/4 in diameter through a hole in the grommet that measures 5/16 answer is you cant but just to be sure I wasnt missing something I rang PY & asked the question & they didnt have an answer to the problem other than to do what I was going to do anyways.Enlarge the hole but that some how defeats the object. Might have well as used an ordinary rubber grommet at a 1/4 the price.Moral of the story is dont believe all the descriptions in catalogs
At the same time as I was installing the instument cluster & speedo cable I thought It would be a good time to install the switch for the power top only I hadnt installed the new harness from the motor to the switch can some one tell me if this is the correct route for the harness.From the motor between the sheet metal that forms a triangle
behind the rear seat then does it exit through a hole in the sheet metal (there are two allready there) along the chanell that the rear light harness runs in and then up behind
that dammed kick panel that nessseatates removing all the switches & pedals Ive allready installed making a ten minute job into half a day.WOULD APPRECEATE SOME FEEDBACK
Dave

Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Senior Chief

Default 67 firebird restoration

HELP PLEASE
Ive now completed rebuilding the dash apart from the glove box whwre I have two queries One the glove box liner where it mates ou with the glove box lid has no speed clips where the holes are should it have? if not what is the correct way of
assembling it Two I bought a new glove box lock from our hosts but there wasnt the very small screw that fastens it to the glove box lid & I dont have one from the old one so can someone tell me does anyone sell this Item or what is the thread size & type what length is it & also what type of head does it have untill I have some help on this matter Im at a standstill as regards completing the dash
Dave

Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the glove box liner should have the metal clips formed into the liner. The liner goes outside the metal edge and then the screws go through the metal and into the liner to hold together. Not sure about the screw or the thread size.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Yes, the bottom should have 3 clips that clip to the dash around the 3 holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GloveBoxClip1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	221136   Click image for larger version

Name:	GloveBoxClip2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	221137  

Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Senior Chief

Problems solved many thanks guys (tjdjr)(pete67fb400)Ive used the U nuts as illustrated & a call to Randy the locksmith at P Y has sorted me out with the small screw for the glove box lock.Im about to fasten the front subframe to the body using a new body mount kit but the problem I have is which bushes go where whilst the bushes make up into four assemblys two are higher than the other two.Can someone tell me which fastens to the underside of the body & which fastens to the base of the firewall.
Dave

Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if you have a service manual, I believe it shows the order. One thing to remember is to line up the subframe with the guideholes. There are two holes by the mounts nearest the firewall. align these two 1/2 or 5/8 holes up before tightening down, it will help lining up panels later..

Old 10-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the tip on the locating holes tjdjr I didnt know about those but as regards to what goes where Im still none the wiser Ive looked at the service manual the 67 suppliment,the fisher body manual & the camaro assembly manual none of them show the procedure or describe it clearly & the camaro assembly manual contradicts the others as regards assembly & placement so Please all you nut & bolt restoreres can you help me
Dave

Old 10-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Senior Chief

Well Ive finally found out which set of body mount bushes go where during a phone call conversation to PY. but I forgot to ask does the part with the metal insert go up from underneath the subframe or down from the top can someone help me please
Dave

Old 11-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Chief

Having just completed bolting up the front subframe to the body of my '67 convertible, I am now in need of advise. I have never restored a car of any type before so your help would be appreciated. My dilemma is, is my next step to install the motor and transmission, or do I start hanging sheet metal from the front end?

Which should I do first?
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC12358.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	223469   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12359.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	223470   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12361.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	223471  

Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Note sure about this so I'll ask:The second generation cars have a undercoating sprayed around the heater box and penetrations through the firewall for protection. If the first gens had that and your going the original route now is the time to address it. If you going the clean mean show car look maybe you'll be passing on it all together?

Otherwise the installation of the drive components would be the next step in my book to reduce chances of damage.

Looks awesome and will keep watching!