The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-22-2002, 01:03 AM

I've got my Grand National stripped to bare metal on top where paint was crackled. On the sides where the paint was still good, what grit sandpaper should I use to scuff before applying primer/paint?

Also what grit(s) should I use for block sanding.

I know, it's not a Pontiac, but this is my test mule b4 I paint the Trans Am.

71 "In Violet" 340 Duster
Old 04-22-2002, 01:03 AM

I've got my Grand National stripped to bare metal on top where paint was crackled. On the sides where the paint was still good, what grit sandpaper should I use to scuff before applying primer/paint?

Also what grit(s) should I use for block sanding.

I know, it's not a Pontiac, but this is my test mule b4 I paint the Trans Am.

71 "In Violet" 340 Duster
Old 04-22-2002, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to find out what kind of paint you have on your car. You say it's cracked so I assume it's lacquer. Take some lacquer thinner and put it on a rag and rub the paint, if the paint starts comming off then you probably have lacquer. You want as much of the old paint off as you can get before you apply the primer. I would use a urathane primer, you can use 120 grit to cut off the old paint and urathane primer will fill the sand scratches. If you really want the car strait I would block off all the paint, it's more work but your car will come out better than if you try cutting the paint off with a DA sander.