The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-22-2002, 01:05 PM
On Vacation

On the advise of OPH and bigpop I decided not to do the powder coating on my Rally II's due to the fact that I would lose points on judging, and that its extremely hard to do a multicolor job flawlessly

I then took the wheels to my local body shop to have them painted. They were going to paint them with a good automotive paint and then clear coat them. OPH said that clear coating them would not be factory correct and again I could lose points on judging in concours. I call the shop and told them not to clear coat them. The shop manager said if I didn't clear coat them he couldn't paint them. Seems that here in California there's an environmental law saying automotive paints must be clear coated to keep down the CVC's. I can use a "spray can" paint but that stuff is crap.

My question is if I do clear coat the wheels in a non-glossly, more matted finishing could someone tell that there is a clear coat on the wheels?

Old 04-22-2002, 01:05 PM
On Vacation

On the advise of OPH and bigpop I decided not to do the powder coating on my Rally II's due to the fact that I would lose points on judging, and that its extremely hard to do a multicolor job flawlessly

I then took the wheels to my local body shop to have them painted. They were going to paint them with a good automotive paint and then clear coat them. OPH said that clear coating them would not be factory correct and again I could lose points on judging in concours. I call the shop and told them not to clear coat them. The shop manager said if I didn't clear coat them he couldn't paint them. Seems that here in California there's an environmental law saying automotive paints must be clear coated to keep down the CVC's. I can use a "spray can" paint but that stuff is crap.

My question is if I do clear coat the wheels in a non-glossly, more matted finishing could someone tell that there is a clear coat on the wheels?

Old 04-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glenn,I know Steve Lucas,he lives about 6 blocks from me and is very knowledgable.I know a guy that lost points in Nats because he used paint wax(polish)on his wheels!!I would try finding someone who has used non-gloss clear vs.not using it on spatter paint in the trunk if possible.If you can not tell,I would give it a try.Otherise,it can not be that many points to lose,although I realize that point deduction is very distasteful with your car.All the best bigpop

Old 04-22-2002, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

I belive the only thing that was wrong with those wheels when I had the car judged in Red Wing was the grey color the silver is correct the paint I used was from eastwood in a spray can and they were painted 5 years ago so why not just mask off the silver and repaint the grey my 69 Judge wheels were painted in 1989 with a spray can and they still look good so I don't think spray can paint is all crap

Old 04-23-2002, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've used the Eastwood Rally Wheel paint on my wheels, too. No problems applying the paint and I just wet sanded and waxed the wheels a day or two after I was done painting them. The colors are extremely close to the original colors.

If you get a chip in them, just spray a little of the color you need in the cap and use a real fine artist's oil-paint brush to do the touch-up, then wet sand and re-wax the spot. No need to go to the shop and have them touched-up!

Worked for me!