The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-08-2002, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone know of companies that do body acid dipping. Not really dipping, but that process that submerges the body in solution to get all the paint/filler/rust off?

Old 04-08-2002, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone know of companies that do body acid dipping. Not really dipping, but that process that submerges the body in solution to get all the paint/filler/rust off?

Old 04-08-2002, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While not acid dipping, I have used Redi Strip before. Their process will submerge the body, & an electrical current is run through the monster tank. Sort of like a reverse plating process. The franchise I used may have been using caustic soda in their big vat, as well, as an alumimum trim tag will not survive the process. I personally would not leave a cowl tag or VIN tag on the shell...may not get either back.

After removing the body from the tank, the shell is put on a body dolly & powerwashed. Have even seen shells that were powerwashed, then put back in the tank for further work. After final removal from the tank, the body shell is put back on the body dolly & powerwashed again. Often, esp if shell is not immediately going to resto shop, they will next spray (through a garden sprayer) a glycol based solution all over the bare metal shell. After moving said shell back to your shop, you will need to put the body into a rotiseree & thoroughly power wash, scrub with scotchbrite pads, & metal condition.

This process is not for everybody. Results will be awesome if the shell is thoroughly powerwashed & scrubbed. Any reminants of the caustic soda bath def bother me, & I doubt all facilities use the caustic.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: ol' Pinion head ]</p>

Old 04-08-2002, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw something about it on TNN's Crank and Chrome where they did that to a ElCamino or Cabero.

Well, I am not sure I want to deal with taking VIN's off and on. THe body is 98% rust free. As soon as I get it home and start to take off the rest of what is there and can inspect the hidden area's, then I can figure out if the body needs that type of process. Other wise I will just media blast the body.

Old 04-08-2002, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I should really investigate this more. I would need to find a place close to MA for me to do this.

http://crankandchrome.com/site/thisw...=333&PreID=220

Old 04-08-2002, 09:20 AM
Suspended

I have heard rumors of a place in Det. Mi. that does this. It was years ago and I don't know if they still are around. I don't live in the Det. area anymore as it has got a little to ruff to bring kids up around there. I don't have access to a Det. phone book to look this up, but I'm thinking maybe Tom V. may be able to help. He's usually pretty knowledgeable and lives in Michigan. Det. might still be to far for you. Just trying to help. I also heard PPG opened a plant in Flint That can Dip your hole car body to paint it. They have a web site at WWW.ppg.com Maybe they can assist you with the body stripping also or can steer you in the right direction.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Garry Sr ]

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Garry Sr ]

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Garry Sr ]</p>

Old 04-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Best to pick up your Hemmings & ck services offered section. Usually RediStrip will have an ad with locations & phone #'s of their franchisee's. The franchise I used is shut down (bad location), if I needed to take a bunch of stuff exclusively to a RediStrip franchise, looking at a long road trip...Memphis area, I believe.

Old 04-08-2002, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know of a place in MD just outside of Wash-DC called Capitol Refinishers. They have a tank large enough to dip an entire body in. After it's stripped, they dip it again in a solution that puts a phospherous type coating on it (to prevent rust). This coating washes off with water.

Old 04-22-2002, 12:15 PM

There is a place near Detroit (in Belleville, MI) that does acid stripping and e-coat primer. This may be the same place Garry Sr referred to. They can do a whole body, as well as individual parts. E-coat is a primer applied electrostatically in a tank and is basically the same process that the OEMs have used on car bodies the last few years. It will coat everything inside and out. I haven't been over there yet, but will try to post something when I do. Here is the website: http://www.ecoatking.com/

It wasn't working when I tried it, but I am assuming that they are just having server problems.

'63 421SD LeMans...
in pieces in my garage
and basement