Old 06-07-2023, 04:24 PM

Default 56 316 freeze plugs rear of engine.

I have the engine for my wagon, and will need to replace freeze/expansion plugs.
most are all self explanatory however, the 2 large plugs on the rear of the engine.

Currently the engine and transmission are bolted together on a pallet in the back of my pick up. I really do not have the ability to move the engine inside at this time.

OK the question, can i remove all bell housing bolts, and rotate the transmission 180 deg, and access freeze plugs through the lower cover? Or am I just doomed to pull trans , Taurus and flywheel?
They are not currently leaking, but the 2 on the rear of the heads both had holes so I figured all should be replaced as a precaution.

I have never had anything this old apart, or anything with the Taurus. Thanks

Old 06-08-2023, 09:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good idea to replace those rear engine freeze plugs.

Interesting idea you have, however can't be done. There are two locator pins on back of engine block that insert into the bell housing. The bell housing can't be rotated without moving it back away from block about 1/2 in. to clear those pins. That would require disconnecting the transmission from the crankshaft (at flywheel or flex plate, depending on which transmission you have). then the transmission is completely removed from the engine with the bell housing attached. It would be easier to first remove the transmission, then remove the bell housing.

Both 1956 Hydra-Matic transmission manuals are available on www.pontiacsafari.com, on the "Pontiac Garage" page. They have instructions for removing a transmission.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:54 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks, Larry, that's all I really needed to know was it can't be done. I am unfamiliar with this slant pan trans. Must I drain the trans and Taurus, and must I remove the 32 bolts, to gain access to the flywheel mounting bolts?
Before I start to remove anything, will I need any seals or gaskets on Taurus to the flywheel? since I now have a 56 trans I should only have 6 flywheel Taurus bolts correct? Thanks a ton for your insight.

This is 55 wagon/61 Vent by the way.

Last edited by 61 vent; 06-08-2023 at 02:08 PM. Reason: add information.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Assuming a slant pan (more properly a Dual Range Hydra-Matic) start looking here https://www.pontiacsafari.com/Hydram...ansmission.pdf

Yes, the torus cover has to be removed (30 bolts, 2 of the holes are alignment pins) to remove the transmission and then remove the flywheel to get at the back of the block. Not a job for the faint of heart. A new 32 hole gasket for the torus cover is recommended. I've never been further than R&R the tranny, so I don't know what has to happen with the flywheel.

Old 06-08-2023, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't think you'll need to remove the flywheel to get access to those two plugs. You do need to remove the bell housing. But if you do need to remove the flywheel, that will be the easy part.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:16 PM

Reading the removal and install instructions, They make it sound imperative that the gasket is in good shape/ they say new. Just how critical is this? I doubt Napa or any other local chain will carry this., or the pan gasket.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You don't want to reinstall the transmission and find it leaking first time you use it. That would mean removing the transmission and replacing the gasket. So, I would rate it as critical.

Check with California Pontiac Restoration (CPR) at www.pontiacparts.net. I suspect they will have it. Get their catalog while your are at it.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:32 PM

CPR had several items, they have a kit for Taurus and crank also.