67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 AM

Default Quarter panel replacement convertible

Looks like I'll be replacing this with a quarter skin. Are there any tricks in doing a convertible le that I should know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	310043  

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

Hello, please try this link:

http://www.jefflilly.com/magazines/m...fit/index.html

Hope this helps!
BR/Brian.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did both rear quarters and tail panel last year. In no way am I a professional body man, Just have OCD... Here are my reccomendations.
Before you cut:
- Take measurements from top of quarters to a point on front pillar then do cross measurements and see if body is square.
- Weld in cross bars before cutting.
- i put in subframe connectors before cutting as well

After you cut:
- test fit the panel and adjust the panel until it pops right into place without having to twist or flex or be pulled tight with screws. otherwise plan for lots of bodywork fixing high and low spots
- Measure and keep body square as you go along and weld in place

Patience is a virtue..

Good Luck!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Fbird convertible was rust free but from the repair invoice i found with its paperwork it had had a small prang in 1970 and the dealer installed a half quarter (a GM quarter that was only the back half, starting with a vertical line at high noon of the rear wheel). I'll never understand why they did it since the tail panel and trunk lid are original and never damaged and the trunk pan is dead straight and still has all its factory applied speckle paint. Go figure, maybe backed into something down low and tore up the lower rear panel.

They had so botched it up back then that we replaced the full quarter. They kind of half cut up the original part and then bashed in with hammers the original wheel opening and welded in the new panel over the original). We used a full 1/4 and while the surface development was beautiful and the fit at the door jam, rocker, wheel tub and tail panel were beautiful the trunk lid gutter was not shaped righ and the overall height at the top well and quarter window area was 1/4" too high. A lot of fabrication work was required to get it just right.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)