Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-30-2022, 03:22 PM

Default Oil pan gasket preferences

Was wanting to get some input on what you guys prefer for oil pan gasket.

Did I see a one piece out there somewhere? - Edit - I found the one-piece but due to time constraints and $ I want to make a traditional multi-piece gasket set that I already have work.

Short of a one piece, what style do you prefer for the part that goes over the rear main cap..ie rear main cap to pan seal.

I have a Moroso Pan with a hole in center and 2 slots either side of the center hole for that location. The oil pan gasket set I bought has 2 rubber styles of which only one will fit but it still seems wrong as the rubber gasket has three rubber protrusions that are designed for a hole, not a slot. But you can still pull the 2 outer protrusions into the slots.

I have a thick cork gasket for the rear main cap to oil pan location from an old oil pan set I'm thinking of using instead of the rubber.

Tell me your preferences and how do you seal it ..ie, what glues or not do you use in the various joints and locations.

If I could get away with it I'd use no glue or as little as possible to make teardowns less messy and less work

Last edited by RBAILEY; 03-30-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Absolutely use the cork main cap gaskets. Put a little Ultra black on both sides and you're good. The rubber ones split and leak.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always used the cork pan gaskets, and they never leaked.
1st time using the 1-piece Butler pan gasket. Kinda nice, but no performance info yet.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

on the one piece, is that the BOP one? that is what i saw on butlers website
do you need silicone on that one?

next time i need to do an oil pan gasket i dont want to use that rubber type, i myself had no luck, i should have used cork, but i'll also try to do it with an engine on the stand and not laying on my back under the car

Old 03-31-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA View Post
on the one piece, is that the BOP one? that is what i saw on butlers website
do you need silicone on that one?

next time i need to do an oil pan gasket i dont want to use that rubber type, i myself had no luck, i should have used cork, but i'll also try to do it with an engine on the stand and not laying on my back under the car
Yes, the one I found was on Butler site for $64 . Wish I would have planned better as I would have liked to try out a one piece. I'm glad to hear all the positives on the cork main cap gasket as I buttoned it up last night using the cork.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:03 PM
Suspended

I hear the cork one is good for no leaks and a tenth..

Old 03-31-2022, 01:16 PM
Senior Chief

I like the 1 piece rubber one no leaks yet.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
I hear the cork one is good for no leaks and a tenth..
Hot damn!

Old 03-31-2022, 01:37 PM

Here's another 1-piece that is not by BOP but costs twice as much @ $134.00 on Summit.

It is by SCE. Anyone use them?

https://www.scegaskets.com/store/pon...number-228090/

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ord=SCE-228090

Old 03-31-2022, 03:41 PM
Boost Engineer

Factory pan gaskets with cork at the front and rear mains.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the BOP oil pan gasket on our 505 IA2 block and no leaks. I did make a metal spacer for the front section. I also used the right stuff on the back of the main bearing to rubber gasket and at the front spacer. I have used the cork at the back with great success also. I have lots here is you want a piece. Just shipping.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With a four piece set, I like Fel-Pro or Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal. I use the cork rear seal if the cap has a groove. If the cap does not have the groove, I just use Black RTV and at the corners of the timing case to block. The little rear corner reinforcement pieces seem to help.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what I use here, stock Felpro for the side rails, cork for the timing cover and custom made thick/wide cork for the rear of the pan. Never had one drop of oil get by this set-up.......

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	587720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	587721  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 11:12 AM

Thank you everyone on the replies. This is exactly what I was hoping for ie learning from others. I want to know more about the custom cork gasket and if it is running on a rear main cap that has the groove for a much narrower than pictured custom cork gasket. My rear main cap has a groove and I do not recall if all years/modes/etc rear main cap came with the gasket groove or are some just flat with no groove? The width on the custom cork gasket looks good. What type/config of cork stock do you start with and is it spanning a groove on the cap side?

Old 04-01-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
With a four piece set, I like Fel-Pro or Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal. I use the cork rear seal if the cap has a groove. If the cap does not have the groove, I just use Black RTV and at the corners of the timing case to block. The little rear corner reinforcement pieces seem to help.
Just got one question from my last post answered .. Thanks, I must read more thoroughly. I was liking Cliff Rs wide cork setup which caused me to wonder about the groove in the cap. Mine has a groove. So on a flat cap you just run silicone only with no gasket ...correct?

Old 04-01-2022, 01:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBAILEY View Post
Just got one question from my last post answered .. Thanks, I must read more thoroughly. I was liking Cliff Rs wide cork setup which caused me to wonder about the groove in the cap. Mine has a groove. So on a flat cap you just run silicone only with no gasket ...correct?
I run a bead of silicone (Honda Bond) whether there is a groove or not.
Not all pans & blocks/caps fit perfect so fitment of the cork can be a pita.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The wide custom cork seal replaces the rubber "tit" variety. They are cut wide as shown, no silicone needed on the seal. I just use a small amount where it meets the pan rail gaskets......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),