Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:37 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
I fill my filters. The chances of bearing damage, from momentary oil starvation, are much higher than from contamination in new oil. That's where I'm "placing my chips".

How does everyone feel about blocking the oil filter bypass valve? LOL!
In some applications the mod has benefits, perhaps one being racing as
the HO Guys recommended that mod years ago.

That being said the bypass is there for a couple of reasons:

Filter plugged or very cold start-up conditions where the oil needs a path
to the oil galleries vs shearing the oil pump shaft.

That is why the OEMs test at -40 degrees F in Canada.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After reading a bunch of oil threads in here I've come to this conclusion.

1) No one here is interested in adding a by-pass filter.

2) No one even cares enough to run an oil analysis to see if the oil is even doing the job they think it is.

3) This tells me that most here aren't the least bit worried about the slight possibility that they may introduce a microscopic piece of dirt while pre filling their oil filter.

I seriously doubt something like that is going to warrant a complete overhaul in our lifetimes. Most of us will be dead and gone before then.

I think when you reach a certain age, you have to pick and choose your battles. Most of us have other things to worry about.

Interesting discussion though.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never going to get a consensus on this one. Just like, "Which brand of oil is best" I can say with confidence the following: 1. most new cars do not have an oil filter you can pre-fill because they are mounted in a way that you just can't do it. Most new cars have canister type filters, not spin on type. Can't pre-fill them. 2. new oil sold in bulk and distributed through a buildings plumbing system has a greater opportunity for dirt to be in the delivery system. 3. New oil is not as "clean" as you might like to think. 4. Never understood what exactly pre-filling was supposed to do?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Most new cars have canister type filters, not spin on type. Can't pre-fill them.
Really?? New cars have now went back to the old canister filters like we had in the 50's and 60's?? Wow that seems like a step back. Interesting.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dry new filter: i shake it for rattles, then finger wipe the center hole, then decide to fill it.

New Torque Converters can fail the shake rattle test...from weld balls.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Really?? New cars have now went back to the old canister filters like we had in the 50's and 60's?? Wow that seems like a step back. Interesting.
I'm guessing it is to conserve materials ... much less metal to produce. Perhaps to help prevent problems with less than high quality spin-on filter casings, seals, threads etc.

Old 10-11-2022, 11:39 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
After reading a bunch of oil threads in here I've come to this conclusion.

1) No one here is interested in adding a by-pass filter.

2) No one even cares enough to run an oil analysis to see if the oil is even doing the job they think it is.

3) This tells me that most here aren't the least bit worried about the slight possibility that they may introduce a microscopic piece of dirt while pre filling their oil filter.

I seriously doubt something like that is going to warrant a complete overhaul in our lifetimes. Most of us will be dead and gone before then.

I think when you reach a certain age, you have to pick and choose your battles. Most of us have other things to worry about.

Interesting discussion though.
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! THANK YOU BROTHER FJ

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Times 2 on post 43.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 10-11-2022, 12:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
You can take care of the by pass by using a K&P filter without by pass. It flows so much the PMD by pass will never open. or, plug the PMD by pass and run a K&P filter with a by pass built it.
Again, the filter flows so much there is little chance of the by pass ever opening but its still there in case of a emergency.
Yes , but K& P filters for Pontiacs are a difficult find up here., so I replaced the filter housing with a plate and hoses to a remote dual housing and run two large Ford filters with internal filtered bypass. Not popular on this board, but my take on the issue,. I like Sirrotica’s solution better, but I set this up 35yrs ago. I may upgrade once the car is on the road again.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like Rainmans vids. He's a good mechanic, and pretty damn smart with his diagnostic work. That said, I always prefill my filters. Have engines with 200k+ miles on them, and every change I prefilled the filter. No abnormal engine wear, no bearing material in the filter, no lifter noises, etc.

If you dont wanna prefill it, knock yourself out. I'll continue to do it.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's hard for me to take this guy seriously. He replaced bearings (rod knock) in car. That doesn't sound like something a two-micron-is-death guy would EVER do. And pointing at what the industrial sector does for justification?

I say Unleaded fuel is evil, because airports have Low Lead.
Two stroke road bikes should come back, because logging.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you say no one is interested, you can't see how many people contact me via PMs to ask about the filters. You'd be surprised who already owns them, and they're asking me about parts and supplies, but for whatever reason won't subject themselves to all the critiquing on the board.

Let me say there are some prominent, respected people on this board that own, and use by pass filters, so the assessment that no one is interested is not at all true. I do see resistance by the same people that are set in their ways, and will never change, funny thing is, I used to be that guy that didn't think I could improve on what Detroit gave us, or didn't care to invest in one.

The discussion always comes back to aesthetics on old cars, so if you don't have one and don't want one, that's fine. Thing is, I drive Pontiacs 100% of the time, they are my daily drivers 100% of the time, I don't drive a Honda, chevy Buick, etc. car, nor would I own one. For daily drivers it does make sense to use a by pass filter so I'm really not addressing the hobby cars for the most part. Although my hobby car will have one, clean oil is never a bad thing.

I have noticed some of the performance shows on TV paying a bit of attention to by pass filters in the last 5 years or so, so I don't think everyone that owns a performance car won't use one because of aesthetics.

When I see some pictures of engines that have failed shortly after a build, and see bearings torn up for no apparent reason, you know that there was something run through them. Could those engines been saved, maybe, maybe not, each circumstance is different. It sure wouldn't hurt though to have another line of defense that makes a full flow filter look about as efficient as a piece of window screen. Did someone put a filter on that had foreign material in it, did they contaminate it unknowingly?

Mike G has posted as I have, that just because you have a new container of oil, doesn't mean that it isn't contaminated, and is pure and clean. Quaker State had clear containers for a short period of time, and then did away with them. It's a possibility someone looked at something in the container that wasn't supposed to be in there. I've seen some questionable stuff at the bottom of oil bottles in the last 55 years. Remember where crude oil comes from, it's buried in the ground, and sometimes the ground gets into the finished product, along with corrosion, and sediment in the processing equipment.

Flame on.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-11-2022, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now I’m scared to pour oil in the valve cover much less the filter I’m going to start using a paint funnel before I pour it in. ��

Old 10-11-2022, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Now I’m scared to pour oil in the valve cover much less the filter I’m going to start using a paint funnel before I pour it in. ��
It probably needs to go through a by-pass filter before it hits that funnel

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It probably needs to go through a by-pass filter before it hits that funnel
What if the funnel is dirty?! I'm just going to stop putting oil in my engine to keep it clean.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
What if the funnel is dirty?! I'm just going to stop putting oil in my engine to keep it clean.
LOL you guys are killin me

Old 10-11-2022, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
In some applications the mod has benefits, perhaps one being racing as
the HO Guys recommended that mod years ago.

That being said the bypass is there for a couple of reasons:

Filter plugged or very cold start-up conditions where the oil needs a path
to the oil galleries vs shearing the oil pump shaft.

That is why the OEMs test at -40 degrees F in Canada.

Tom V.
Yes but they recommended using a Lee filter with a internal by pass that is not even available anymore.
I am not even sure if we have available paper filters with a built in by pass these days. Maybe we do but I am no fan of blocking the PMD by pass.
Dirty oil is better than no oil.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wix filters state they have a bypass valve. Some filter companies just call it a differential pressure relief valve. It's there in case the filter gets clogged.

So I did a quick search to see if others pop up and surprisingly enough it's stated in several articles that most of your paper spin on filters now incorporate a bypass valve. I know the Wix does because I cut those open on a semi regular basis. I haven't cut open any other brand in a long time so can't say for sure.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yep. My wife’s Camaro has a canister type oil filter.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Closed Thread