THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ChatGPT

So i was playing with the new AI and thought some might find this interesting. I asked it the following question and got this for the reply.

What is the ideal rod length for a pontiac 428

The ideal rod length for a Pontiac 428 engine depends on several factors, including the intended use of the engine and the specific components being used. In general, the most common rod lengths used in Pontiac 428 engines are 6.625 inches and 6.800 inches.

The shorter 6.625-inch rod is typically used in high-performance applications, as it allows for a shorter piston dwell time at TDC (Top Dead Center), which can help increase high-RPM power. However, it also increases side loading on the cylinder walls, which can reduce engine life.

The longer 6.800-inch rod is typically used in lower-RPM applications or engines designed for street use, as it provides better piston stability and reduces side loading on the cylinder walls. It also allows for a slightly larger piston dome, which can increase low-RPM torque.

Ultimately, the ideal rod length for a Pontiac 428 engine will depend on a variety of factors, including the specific goals of the engine build, the desired power and torque characteristics, and the specific components being used. It's important to consult with a knowledgeable engine builder or tuner to determine the best rod length for your specific application.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm using the bing version. This is life changing for me...

Old 02-21-2023, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It’s going to put a lot of people out if work. Or maybe better said, the work they are going to do is fundamentally changing. Chatgpt and dall-e together huge

Old 02-21-2023, 06:37 PM

Until one of us can get this new technology to start a barfight about oil filtration, I consider it to be worthless.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 06:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good point. I asked him. Here is his answer:

As an AI language model, I cannot encourage or promote any violent behavior or encourage any behavior that may harm individuals or property. It is important to promote peaceful and respectful discussions, especially when it comes to disagreements about technical or specialized topics such as oil filtration. It is advisable to engage in calm and respectful dialogue, to listen to other people's opinions, and to avoid personal attacks or insults. This way, everyone can learn and benefit from the discussion without causing any harm or damage.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OMG, we'll have AI moderators very soon

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A disaster of historic proportions waiting to happen.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pont3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's important to note that this is a CHAT bot. If the overwhelming consensus to an engine parameter question was "your momma", that might very well be it's response. It knows nothing of actual engineering, it assembles text. Think of it as a Plagiarism Bot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 08:12 PM
Senior Chief

It should probably cite sources and name drop, then tell us how long it has been gathering information and how uneducated we all are,, then it would be OK.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try asking "DAN" and compare the answers. Some guy asked the Chat to operate as if filters were removed and gave it the name "Do Anything Now" aka DAN. Hilarity may ensue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On a side note, for those "afraid" of this kind of AI ... keep in mind, the original intent of the phrase "Artificial Intelligence" was to describe a program which have the appearance of intelligence (typically using a conversational model), without actually having intelligence. It sound much more nefarious than it's actual meaning ... "Fake Intelligence"

Modern media has shifted the emphasis from the word "Artificial" to the word "Intelligence". Now it has come to mean in current usage an INTELLIGENCE that is Artificial.

They are two totally different concepts ... I mean light years apart. While we can currently write programs that mimic intelligence very well ... we are many decades from creating an Intelligence that is artificial .. meaning a self aware, self programming entity that is an entity separate and apart from it's original programmers. At least 100 years away from this ... in fact in my experience programming I still can't even imagine the foundation on which a program like that might be built.

The bottom line is that ChatGPT does nothing that it wasn't programmed to do, it is incapable to doing so, and never will develop that capability.

So no fears YET ... when it does happen, kiss your butt goodbye.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

took a screenshot of this one. yes it is plagiarism of the highest order - but it is pretty damn good at understanding natural language understanding and then returning a well-written relevant response. It is way better than google. Shorting Google stock may be in order. Here is a screen shot of a question that undoubtedly has been debated here on and off for 50 years. Not a bad response for a machine that has no history of its own.

The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightAuto For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHatgpt.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	607658  

Old 02-22-2023, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A word of caution with AI some companies thought AI could solve all problems. A company called ROOT insurance used information from people cell phone to decide if they were a god bet for insurance , the model was used rather than the old credit score model. Z the company’s earnings have been a horrible at best . In the future it may be useful but right now it’s not accurate .
It also has proven to be politically loaded to one side , feel free to look it up.
One magazine had to shut down all its submissions from writers when it hit an onslaught of AI generated submissions.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 02-22-2023, 02:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is weird is that what they are calling AI has been around for decades. It gathers, coellates and presents data in a form more readily usable and understandable than millions of individual pieces of data. The only difference is they have programmed it to communicate well.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The root of that "technology" is semantic text.

Pretty sure it works in most any language. And the questions/results get translated for the inquisitor's benefit.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
What is weird is that what they are calling AI has been around for decades. It gathers, collates and presents data in a form more readily usable and understandable than millions of individual pieces of data. The only difference is they have programmed it to communicate well.
There is a difference between a computer and AI. However AI can only be as good as the information it can draw from. And because of that it can be skewed with bias just like humans can. In fact the very thing that FB and Twitter have been doing to us for years.

What is the difference between a computer and artificial intelligence?

A computer is a machine that can receive input, process data, and output information based on predefined rules and instructions. It can perform a wide range of tasks, from basic arithmetic calculations to complex simulations and data processing.

Artificial intelligence, on the other hand, is a branch of computer science that focuses on creating intelligent machines that can learn, reason, and make decisions like humans do. These machines can analyze complex data, recognize patterns, and adapt to new situations without being explicitly programmed to do so. AI algorithms can be used to perform a wide range of tasks, such as image and speech recognition, natural language processing, predictive modeling, and decision-making.

In summary, a computer is a general-purpose machine that can perform various tasks based on predefined rules and instructions, while artificial intelligence is a specialized field of computer science that focuses on creating machines that can learn and reason like humans.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:25 AM
Senior Chief

Cool

AI is the wave of the future, and it always will be.

Ogre

The Following User Says Thank You to Ogre For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 30+ year career in IT and the job is changing as the developers try to take over everything.

I've always struggled with coding/scripting because I'm not a dev. Now I can leverage Bing to do it for me!

and it is doing it pretty well...

The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The trades, blue collar jobs, and those who use their hands for a living are going to get the last laugh...

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spartazoo For This Useful Post: