THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Timmermans View Post
Hey , guys
a couple of days ago I drove my bosses Performance Tesla 3.

Ever since that time I'm kinda wondering what the h#ll I'm doing with the GTO.
I've bought that car 20 years ago because of the performance possibilities it presents when building it yourself as a hobby.

Performance wise I'm no competition for a Tesla , it will leaf you burning rubber without any sound or drama.
And I have to say I really love that and respect the tecnology behind it.
Because they don't blow hugh amounts of unburned fuel into the air , leak oil everywhere and need very little maintenance.
Only thing is the batteries , don't know about the future implications of those .

It just kinda put a negative spin on my hobby.

Just venting.
I've been driving first gen GTO's every day , to and from work, to the store, cross country, etc. for the past 45 years. So not a 'hobby' for me.
Electric cars are fast, impractical appliances, nothing more. If that appeals to you, great. Sell the old GTO and buy a nice new appliance. In 20 years, guess which one will be recycled into washing machines and toasters and guess which one will gain in value? LOL....

Old 02-18-2023, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I've been driving first gen GTO's every day , to and from work, to the store, cross country, etc. for the past 45 years. So not a 'hobby' for me.
Electric cars are fast, impractical appliances, nothing more. If that appeals to you, great. Sell the old GTO and buy a nice new appliance. In 20 years, guess which one will be recycled into washing machines and toasters and guess which one will gain in value? LOL....
Bingo!!! I wouldnt take 2 teslas for my gto. I feel something when Im out on the road with my gto which I could never get out of one these battery cars,,,no matter how fast they are.

The Following User Says Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 05:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default co-founder going swinging...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/02/18/...aker-s-future/

The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2023, 05:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default good ting self driving...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/08/...s-falling-off/

Old 03-08-2023, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

Tesla's seem like nice cars but I think they are ugly. I don't care for the look at all. I would not trade my 1976 "plain Jane" Firebird for one. I love the sound of my car; it makes me smile every time I start it up. I do not like the sound of the whirring of the electric drivetrain. One of the Toyota SUV's, I am not sure which one, sounds like a dragging brake caliper when it is driving slowly. It sounds terrible. I thought it was something wrong until the owner said it was supposed to sound that way. I am not a fan of all of the technology in these cars. It makes the driver less capable thinking that the car will take care of everything. You hear about crashes all of the time with these self-driving features.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ya but removable steering wheel...c'mon

Old 03-08-2023, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought about re-bodying a GTO or T/A onto the TESLA chassis, but lost interest on the Charging vs Gasoline infrastructure.

Old 03-08-2023, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Why are they impractical? I can tell you mine will smoke your GTO at the track with 1020 HP , out handle it , carry my kids skis and all their stuff, carry 6 passengers, get 330 mile range on a charge, is all wheel drive in the snow , what’s impractical about it?

I love your enthusiasm for Pontiacs guys I really do but I own a turbocharged )9 bird that makes 960 hp and a real RAIV bird . They are great but the Tesla plaid destroys them in all around competition on almost any one of their attributes. With the exception of rarity on my IV car.

There’s just no comparison these cars destroy almost anything else on the road anyone who says otherwise hasn’t owned one . My buddy has lambos and I wouldn’t swap him because my Tesla plaid does everything better. Best car I’ve ever driven or owned by a power of 10! And I’ve had some nasty freaking cars .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!

Last edited by turbo69bird; 03-08-2023 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If EVs get to500 mile range I would entertain one but not 1000 HP anything.Tom

Old 03-08-2023, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
If EVs get to500 mile range I would entertain one but not 1000 HP anything.Tom
Some are over 500 mile range

Don’t get me wrong here guys I still love my classsics because they are classics but don’t fool yourselves into thinking they are the better cars. They aren’t It’s just not factual. It can be a feeling you have but compared side by side in testing the Teslas come out far far ahead .
They have changed the game.

I can drive my Tesla anywhere in comfort with 6 people, and run faster than any stock Pontiac even an engineering mule could ever dream. If pontiac were around today I’m sure they’d give ‘em a run for thier money but it’s just embarrassing to even try to compare an old pontiac side by side w a Tesla plaid. Or any other classic really . Anyone who knows and has owned a Tesla plaid knows it’s not even a comparison . It’s like comparing a bicycle to a car . It’s just NOT in the same ballpark. Anyone doubts me come for a
Ride in my Tesla plaid .

It’s a little like having a cr500 dirt bike it’s awesome it’s amazing it’s fast, but it’s not gonna be what a RAIV GTO or firebird is , it’s just different . That’s how our old Pontiacs are compared to a Tesla plaid . Just different.

Last edited by turbo69bird; 03-08-2023 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Next week I will be driving 1050 miles round trip from Dayton, OH to Norcross, GA for training. My school has a bunch of electric cars and trucks including 4 Tesla's. I can drive anything I want. I wanted to drive the most high tech thing we had in the fleet to really test it out on the trip. Turns out, it's just too complicated and too much drama to make it any fun. Have to plan on a minimum of 3 charging stops, probably 4. That's a substantial time waster. Plus the general anxiety of finding an open charger when I have someplace I have to get to on time. Just decided it was too much aggravation and advanced planning for my taste. Decided to drive our Cadillac with Super Cruise so I can get used to semi-autonomous driving that will be fun. I can stop one time each way at one of a zillion gas stations for a 5 minute fill up. I enjoy driving the Tesla's. The one we have with the largest battery available and ludicrous mode software is very quick 0-100 MPH. But they are ugly and have no sound. Somewhat of a drawback aside from playing "Where's Waldo" looking for an open charger.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Next week I will be driving 1050 miles round trip from Dayton, OH to Norcross, GA for training. My school has a bunch of electric cars and trucks including 4 Tesla's. I can drive anything I want. I wanted to drive the most high tech thing we had in the fleet to really test it out on the trip. Turns out, it's just too complicated and too much drama to make it any fun. Have to plan on a minimum of 3 charging stops, probably 4. That's a substantial time waster. Plus the general anxiety of finding an open charger when I have someplace I have to get to on time. Just decided it was too much aggravation and advanced planning for my taste. Decided to drive our Cadillac with Super Cruise so I can get used to semi-autonomous driving that will be fun. I can stop one time each way at one of a zillion gas stations for a 5 minute fill up. I enjoy driving the Tesla's. The one we have with the largest battery available and ludicrous mode software is very quick 0-100 MPH. But they are ugly and have no sound. Somewhat of a drawback aside from playing "Where's Waldo" looking for an open charger.

Idk maybe it’s differnt where you guys are but in the north east it’s a non issue. You plug it into the GPS super charger it says where there’s one conditions the battery you stop and charge quick and go . And charge for $40 Vs $139 in my diesel. Every time I read an anti Tesla post I think what are these guys talking about. But it’s never anyone who has spent any time in a Tesla. .

I hated teslas before I owned one, even when a freind of mine let me drive his model 3 a few times still hated them. . Couldn’t argue w the stats though. I bought my hellcat before the Tesla x plaid. No way I’d have bought a hellcat Vs the plaid especially a model S plaid. Runs a 9.17 stock inthe 1/4 mile !!!!! . Even at 710 HP it’s like a chevette compared to the plaid . The torque just isn’t there like the electric . They DO have a sound it’s just a different sound more like a turbo. I probably wouldn’t buy a lower model if you’re gonna buy one buy a plaid. I know everyone wants me to lie to them but this is the truth . This guy built the most amazing car ever, it could be improved as can any car but it’s the whole package.

In my opinion it is what the GTO was when it came out a game changer . Same w the pony car . It’s. A game changer. It’s hated by the right because it’s electric and the greenies started that .
It’s hated by the left because he said people should vote right this time around and he bought Twitter . So everyone hates the guy I get that. But the cars stand on thier own and destroy everything else.

Last edited by turbo69bird; 03-09-2023 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Idk maybe it’s differnt where you guys are but in the north east it’s a non issue. You plug it into the GPS super charger it says where there’s one conditions the battery you stop and charge quick and go . And charge for $40 Vs $139 in my diesel.
In most of the country, it is an issue.

As was posted, mgarblik was making over a 1000 mile trip. You can fill up an empty ICE in less than 5 minutes (and that includes the time to get off and back on the road).

Can't do that with an 'empty' EV. How far off your route do you have to go to find a charger? Is there a charger available at that location? How long does it take to 'fill' an empty EV? And I want the time for all the different levels of chargers...

Your comparison of paying for $40 vs $139 is lacking one key piece of information - how much range was added for the price difference? I'd be willing to bet that you can drive a lot farther before having to refuel the diesel.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like anything else, it depends...in mgarblik's case, Dayton to Norcross is about 500 miles one way, all along I-75. I checked an EV route planner and there is a plethora of charging stations along the way. Assuming the car is a Tesla it should be able to go 250 miles on a charge. So, if it's fully charged at the start of the trip, it may only require one charging stop midway, then a charge while he's in Norcross, then one more charging stop on the way home. That means an ~30 minute stop in the middle of each drive. Every person has different stamina on road trips, but personally I wouldn't mind the chance to get out and stretch my legs after 250 miles and I could plan around the additional time required to get there.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
$131,000 dollars for a T Plaid, that's half the price of my home (bought in 2022), is that a drawback? For me it sure is.............

I live about 40 minutes from Mike Garblik, off of I-70, Between Columbus, to Dayton, there isn't one charging station between our houses that I'm aware of.

So I looked at an EV charging station map, and put in my zip code, here's the response I got:

Quote:
We can’t find chargers near Ohio 54, Catawba, OH 43044, USA.

That could be a problem in my neck of the woods...........

Last truck I bought, (March 2022), cost me $3000, gets about 10 MPG, came with a snowplow to clear snow. Will haul 2 ton in the bed, and haul a 12,000 lb trailer. 0-100 I could time it with a sundial.

I can buy about 43,500 gallons of gasoline at the current price (or just over 5 tanker loads of fuel) for the difference in price of the two vehicles. That's what is practical to me. I can have fuel for the rest of my life with the difference in price.

My 05 GTO gets twice the mileage of the truck, cost $100,000 less than the Tesla when it was brand new. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, smiles per gallon is what I'm after.

I seldom carry a cell phone with me, so I'm technologically challenged.

As far as Tesla, it might take me longer to figure out how to drive it, than it takes to find a charging station around here.

Heard 120 years ago you heard from the old timers, "Those horseless carriages will never replace my horse"....

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Saw a picture of a EV car with a trailer hitch and a bracket on it for a generator to charge his car.Tom

Old 03-09-2023, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Saw a picture of a EV car with a trailer hitch and a bracket on it for a generator to charge his car.Tom
Were Frieburger and Finnegan driving it?

Old 03-09-2023, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would wager 97% of the time trips taken in a vehicle are less than 20 miles and for pedestrian tasks; commuting to work, grocery shopping, etc.

A Nissan Leaf or equivalent would more than suffice here.

Old 03-09-2023, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are times when an electric vehicle makes sense and there are times when they don't. Some areas out West, where you often have to drive long distances, have very minimal charging stations at this point in time. It would be interesting to see (real world) how the range is impacted during the middle of winter with extreme cold temperatures or during the summer during extreme hot weather. 250/300 mile range is just not acceptable to me.....consistent 500-600 would probably work. Keep in mind that as the country moves to this technology (and it will) the government WILL find a way to make up for the loss in gas tax revenue!

Old 03-09-2023, 03:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All I know is that my DD vehicles are affordable to own, operate and maintain. They are extraordinarily reliable and I never need to plan trips around refueling. Also, I don't need my DD to do a 9 sec 1/4.

I've actually been thinking about my next DD. I have been considering getting something like a early 70s Suburban. Doing it as a resto mod with modern interior and instruments and BB chevy motor with a Qjet.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Closed Thread