THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:28 AM

I like my “W” engines myself!

My 32 and the injected 409 ( now a 480) is going in my 55 gasser.

Also added finished under hood pic of the bird.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6536A73A-6AD1-46B5-988E-8FD5FF760C50.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	610230   Click image for larger version

Name:	3AFE1400-B180-4E19-89FB-9F97023EC7BB.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	610231   Click image for larger version

Name:	3CF1DC02-1767-4443-9555-CDF62B160386.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	610235  

Last edited by Stan65; 04-05-2023 at 11:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan65 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
...Why paint an LS Pontiac blue and put Pontiac emblems on the valve covers?...
Can't speak to the Pontiac emblems but a painted surface is easier to wipe down when needed. Stan65's shows what it could have been and I regret not painting mine when the heads and oil pan were off.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think an LS is a great little engine for new things. I can see the point of installing one in an older vehicle but I'm personally not a fan of them in muscle cars or older hot rods. I enjoy tuning on a carburetor or multiple carburetors and adjusting the dwell on points. I stay brand and period specific on the engine in my muscle cars. I enjoy oddball engines in older hot rods.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG956222.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	610232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG956224.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	610233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG956223.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	610234  

The Following User Says Thank You to John Milner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433lemans View Post
When I walk up to your Pontiac at a car show, drag race, whatever, and see anything under the hood other than traditional Pontiac power, no matter how nice the rest of the car might be, I will give a "meh" and walk on without a further look. Yup, Pontiac MOTOR Division as was said.
I've been reading this thread but wasn't planning to post to it because I don't have super strong feelings about it. I like Pontiac engines in my Pontiac but you do what you want with yours.... But when I read this post by 433lemans it struck a chord because this just happened to me last Saturday at a cruise.
A guy pulled up in a 72 GTO convertible while another Pontiac friend of mine was standing there with me and we immediately walked over to it to engage the driver about his nice looking gto. Pepper greenish with saddle interior. As soon as he raised the hood I saw that LS sitting in there I just completely lost interest in it. He had removed about 50 to 60% of anything we might have wanted to talk to him about.
Neither one of us said anything about it and we were quite friendly with the fellow but later my friend told me he felt exactly the same way as soon as he saw the hood go up. Just wasn't that interesting anymore. Kind of like looking under the hood of a Suburban.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 12:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I feel the same way - It's just not the same....

Hopefully I'll be dead by the time folks shart doing electric swaps...lol

The Following User Says Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I've been reading this thread but wasn't planning to post to it because I don't have super strong feelings about it. I like Pontiac engines in my Pontiac but you do what you want with yours.... But when I read this post by 433lemans it struck a chord because this just happened to me last Saturday at a cruise.
A guy pulled up in a 72 GTO convertible while another Pontiac friend of mine was standing there with me and we immediately walked over to it to engage the driver about his nice looking gto. Pepper greenish with saddle interior. As soon as he raised the hood I saw that LS sitting in there I just completely lost interest in it. He had removed about 50 to 60% of anything we might have wanted to talk to him about.
Neither one of us said anything about it and we were quite friendly with the fellow but later my friend told me he felt exactly the same way as soon as he saw the hood go up. Just wasn't that interesting anymore. Kind of like looking under the hood of a Suburban.
I love that reaction when I open the hood on my 71. There's just something satisfying knowing I took the wind out of their sails without saying a word.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 04-05-2023, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol... Well, if that motivates you and makes you happy in the hobby, kudos.
Don't get me wrong... I wasn't upset about it, I wasn't "deflated" or even disappointed, it just didn't interest me anymore. Wasn't a practiced or expected reaction...it just happened.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 04-05-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Lol... Well, if that motivates you and makes you happy in the hobby, kudos.
Don't get me wrong... I wasn't upset about it, I wasn't "deflated" or even disappointed, it just didn't interest me anymore. Wasn't a practiced or expected reaction...it just happened.
It does make me happy in the hobby. It's become so tiring listening to the same old nonsense when it comes to modified cars, that I've begun to take enjoyment in others displeasure of how I build my vehicles.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 04-05-2023, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I'm not the one that's ever going to preach to anyone so you're not going to hear any 'nonsense' out of me about it. I really believe it's your car, put whatever you want in it.
I believe in the old Hank Williams adage: " If you mind your own business, you'll be busy ALL the time!"

Old 04-05-2023, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well, I'm not the one that's ever going to preach to anyone so you're not going to hear any 'nonsense' out of me about it. I really believe it's your car, put whatever you want in it.
I believe in the old Hank Williams adage: " If you mind your own business, you'll be busy ALL the time!"
We practice the same philosophy. Couldn't care less what others do to their cars, no matter the brand or how they build them.

Unfortunately, not everyone feels this way. That's when the enjoyment comes in for me.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
It does make me happy in the hobby. It's become so tiring listening to the same old nonsense when it comes to modified cars, that I've begun to take enjoyment in others displeasure of how I build my vehicles.
I see your point. I remember going to the POCI national meet in Sturbridge years ago and the first thing I heard as I pulled in with my 99 1/2 percent stock ‘66 GP was “ that’s not the original steering wheel”. It was a Grant wood wheel.
I don’t restore cars, I make them mine. Yes, I’ll always run a Pontiac engine but that’s just me. There are way too many over the top, always trailered, completely original restorations out there.
Remember……
It’s your car, build it your way.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just wait till the day I find a redeye engine you guys are really going to hate me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All makes of vehicles have certain characteristics. That's what makes them appealing to potential buyers and why one goes out and test drives a new car before purchasing. Pontiac engines were known for great throttle response and being fast on the street. They also seemed to handle well and be fun to drive. Remove the engine and that changes. I remember growing up the "hot set up" was to install a Big Block Chevy for "more power".... The quickest way to slow down a Pontiac and hurt it's handling.

I think a better question might be, why does one feel it's important to change brands of engines?

Old 04-05-2023, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
...Pontiac engines were known for great throttle response and being fast on the street. They also seemed to handle well and be fun to drive. Remove the engine and that changes...
For the better: 2-300 pounds off the front axle makes a huge difference. Delphi steering box, 1LE spindles, 1-1/4" hollow bar, composite leafs and top shelf shocks help too.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
For the better: 2-300 pounds off the front axle makes a huge difference. Delphi steering box, 1LE spindles, 1-1/4" hollow bar, composite leafs and top shelf shocks help too.
There are other ways to remove weight off the front end and leave a Pontiac engine in it.... You named a few of them.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:05 PM

The way I see it, there is a weapon for every battle, a seat for every ass, a spoon for every mouth, etc.

My bird in a drag race against a stock Pontiac powered bird? 660 ft you may get me if you have sticky tires. Any more I’m gonna drive past you.

Throw some curves in I will walk all over a stock car.

Judging at a concourse car show. I will fail miserably.

Gas mileage I win.

Power vs manners, I win this too. Idles like a caddy as the LT4 is offered in the Cadillac CTSV, but makes 650/650 at the crank stock and I knock down mid to upper 20’s for mpg.

Nostalgia, I lose.

You want to talk about weight? I have a carbon fiber nose, took the crash bars out of the doors, aluminum center section in my can you believe 9” Ford, aluminum drive shaft, aluminum radiator and intercooler, vintage air instead of the heavy stock AC. The list of weight savings goes on and on….

I grew up with my dad buying 2nd Gen birds new, and had these cars in the 80’s stock. I chose to rescue a discarded shell and build it my way. Everyone has their own opinion and that’s what makes the work go around.

I now have a new project, a 73 Buccaneer Red D-port, auto just like my dad had and sold to John Wallace in the late 80’s. If I could find the numbers matching 455 for my 73 I would restore it to a high standard, I may still do a non numbers 455. The best of both worlds, stock when I want to cruise and do a show or two in the 73, and when I want to rip on it it’s the 71 pro-touring car.

And after all that I would kill for a survivor numbers brewster 73.

Guess I’m one of the few that can appreciate each style for what it is and what it represents.

Stan.

Last edited by Stan65; 04-05-2023 at 05:38 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan65 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm for whatever it takes to get more classic Pontiacs on the road.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’d love to see a pic of the Studebaker with the Pontiac, that is the very definition of hot rodding. . A friend is putting a 413 Mopar in a similar Studebaker.

The 71 Formula with the LT4 looks like a masterpiece build. No way would I throw stones at someone efforts on a car like that. That will be quite a car when it’s done.

I can’t throw stones anyway, for the last 30 years we have had a 1970 W-34 455 Olds in our 71 Chevelle. Dad gave my brother and I the Olds as a Christmas present in 1991 too replace the very tired 307. I think you always paint the transplant the factory color (the Olds is painted chevy orange) unless you want more attention. Hood open at the pits people would walk by the Chevelle and ask if it is small block? Lol. It isn’t a big block, so…yep..455 small block……..Olds.

On another site one guys brother had a 75 factory 455 4 speed TA and swapped the 455 and 4 speed out for a turbo 5.3 auto set up. It was running in the low 12s when he did the swap, ran upper 10s low 11s with the turbo 5.3. He was raving about it and said he wished that was what he did, because he wasn’t getting the performance out of his 81 TA after he replaced the 301T with a 6x 455. Neither one were my car, so I don’t care about the 455 to 5.3 swap, but to me the swap to the 5.3 from the 12 second 455 4 speed was odd. I don’t know the back story, maybe he had trouble with it. Not something I would do.

If the car didn’t have a Pontiac anyway, like many late second gen Firebird’s, early 70’s Ventura’s, and those Canadian cars, too me, if there are nothing special for power plants, those make great candidates for LS swaps, but at least hide the coils and get them off the valve covers so it looks nice.

I guy near me is working on a 6.0 LS in a black tee top 78 TA. We visited about it, over the years he has had many 403 and SBC firebirds, so, no history with Pontiacs, going Pontiac doesn’t make his radar at all. No history with the original engine platform is a common ingredient for a LS swap in GM cars and Mopar late model Hemi swaps in older mopars. Same deal.

Richard Guido’s 65 GTO is still my poster child car when someone want’s to bring up their “superior LS, BBC or SBC” swap in a Pontiac. Well into the 8.0s with a stick, around 160 mph. Well over 20MPG on his long 3000 mile road trips for drag week and sick week. Not everyone gets to be Richard Guido!

Last edited by Jay S; 04-05-2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I’d love to see a pic of the Studebaker with the Pontiac, that is the very definition of hot rodding. . A friend is putting a 413 Mopar in a similar Studebaker.
Here is a picture of a Studebaker with a 389 tripower. It was owned by Bill Morgan, who used to post here quite a bit.

Here is a link to Bill’s write up about the car. Always enjoyed reading Bill’s posts.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ibaker.191972/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	508FA5D1-C603-4508-8ABC-5556E8CE7A04.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	610259   Click image for larger version

Name:	0DD4C22A-A59B-4A9C-96E5-AEAD861616C3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	610260  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Milner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2023, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433lemans View Post
When I walk up to your Pontiac at a car show, drag race, whatever, and see anything under the hood other than traditional Pontiac power, no matter how nice the rest of the car might be, I will give a "meh" and walk on without a further look. Yup, Pontiac MOTOR Division as was said.
I will add this disclaimer: when I see a traditional Pontiac engine in any other make of cars, I do pay attention and look closer. Am I hypocritical? So be it. lol