Old 05-20-2023, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Roofrail weatherstrip retainer channel

I'm assembling a '79 Y84 (non t-top), and wondering about the roof rail weatherstrip channels. It looks like they're made of galvanized steel and covered in thin black plastic, which is peeling off. How are you all restoring these, and how to finish them...satin black paint, Plasti Dip, something else?

Old 05-20-2023, 09:14 PM
Suspended

Don't sandblast them! They overheat and distort the shape badly. Depending how bad they are peeling, I'd get a replacement set.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
Don't sandblast them! They overheat and distort the shape badly. Depending how bad they are peeling, I'd get a replacement set.
They're not rusty at all, so easy enough to refinish them...just wondering what people are using to do this.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Suspended

That was my point. Mine weren't peeling or anything, I left them with a guy to look at for ideas who did various coatings. One of the young fellas thought he'd try to blast them off, and heat build up was hard going but he continued...where they used to be flat channel and screw to body, was now curved and the sides closed up, as well as the length had pulled right in too. I picked up replacements and simply repainted them.

Old 05-23-2023, 03:30 PM

Roof...rail...weatherstrip channels? Are you talking about the windshield trim moldings, or the drip rail on the side windows??

The windshield trim moldings are very flimsy and care must be taken when removing them. A lot of folks powdercoat them with good success, though they're just a little harder to install since the powdercoat adds substantial thickness. That black coating from the factory started flaking off within years of coming off the dealer lot, so that's nothing new.

The drip rails on the side windows were either plastic with a chrome mylar coating or anodized aluminum with a chrome coating depending on model year, and were standard on most T/As (option B80); though I think you could opt to delete them. Looks better deleted, honestly. They're not as common on early 2nd gens.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 05-23-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Roof...rail...weatherstrip channels? Are you talking about the windshield trim moldings, or the drip rail on the side windows??

The windshield trim moldings are very flimsy and care must be taken when removing them. A lot of folks powdercoat them with good success, though they're just a little harder to install since the powdercoat adds substantial thickness. That black coating from the factory started flaking off within years of coming off the dealer lot, so that's nothing new.

The drip rails on the side windows were either plastic with a chrome mylar coating or anodized aluminum with a chrome coating depending on model year, and were standard on most T/As (option B80); though I think you could opt to delete them. Looks better deleted, honestly. They're not as common on early 2nd gens.
I'm referring to the pieces that hold the roof rail weatherstrips in place (where the upper part of the side windows meet the roof.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6405.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	613101