THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:38 PM

Default BOMB CYCLONE!!!

South Dakota travel completely shut down. Who else here is hunkered down and where?

Old 12-22-2022, 09:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Houston isn’t shut down but it’s damn cold for us! House full of kids spending the night

Old 12-22-2022, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Every time I hear that term, "Bomb Cyclone" I think it must be a really slow news day. Everything has to be sensationalized in the media.

It's going to be cold, and you might get some snow, and wind, big deal. When I was a kid, we had the same weather, it's called "winter". We bundled up, and if it was too cold, we stayed inside until it warmed up some. The same logic still works today.

The only thing I did to prepare was to get some gas for my generator, in case the power would go out. Tonight I checked all the antifreeze in my 5 vehicles because we're supposed to have -5 degree temps, don't want anything to freeze solid over the next few days. As I suspected, everything is at least good to -25 degrees, cheaper to make sure, than to have to fix damage caused by too little antifreeze.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 09:51 PM

-19 degrees this morning, wind 40 mph gusts (-50+/- degrees wind chill) with light snow creating ground blizzard conditions. Currently -14 degrees with continuing strong winds into Saturday morning. Guess it's time to start wearing my winter coat and gloves!

The Following User Says Thank You to 433lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 10:06 PM

"Every time I hear that term, "Bomb Cyclone" I think it must be a really slow news day. Everything has to be sensationalized in the media."
Agree!
In my quite a bit younger days I recall -30 to -35 temps, rare as they were tho, and lots of snow, LOTS of SNOW. They weren't "bomb cyclones". But with my advanced age I do respect the importance of staying put in this kind of weather.

The Following User Says Thank You to 433lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433lemans View Post
-19 degrees this morning, wind 40 mph gusts (-50+/- degrees wind chill) with light snow creating ground blizzard conditions. Currently -14 degrees with continuing strong winds into Saturday morning. Guess it's time to start wearing my winter coat and gloves!
Wow!!!
Actual temp, here in central Oklahoma was 3 degrees at 8 am, today...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-22-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Wow!!!
Actual temp, here in central Oklahoma was 3 degrees at 8 am, today...
Hooded sweatshirt weather! Lol.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mid U.S. has waterline, engine block and heatercore woes. We're Still in the mid 40s in No AL. Raining now!! 6 F by 6 AM.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:01 PM
Boost Engineer

40 DEGREES RIGHT NOW AND RAIN. Supposed to be 7 degrees by morning.
Michigan typical weather. The 12" of snow days are the ones to be watching for here.
I could handle -45 degrees in Bemidji MN years ago for work so -5 is a cake walk.

Tom V.

see photo #2 A darn good idea for the workers. Snow Blower Picture
https://www.axios.com/2022/12/23/win...olidays-photos

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 12-22-2022 at 11:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Every time I hear that term, "Bomb Cyclone" I think it must be a really slow news day. Everything has to be sensationalized in the media.

It's going to be cold, and you might get some snow, and wind, big deal. When I was a kid, we had the same weather, it's called "winter". We bundled up, and if it was too cold, we stayed inside until it warmed up some. The same logic still works today.

The only thing I did to prepare was to get some gas for my generator, in case the power would go out. Tonight I checked all the antifreeze in my 5 vehicles because we're supposed to have -5 degree temps, don't want anything to freeze solid over the next few days. As I suspected, everything is at least good to -25 degrees, cheaper to make sure, than to have to fix damage caused by too little antifreeze.
X 2, Brad. I swear people are getting “soft”. The ONLY preparations I made before heading down to the farm were making sure all the vehicles anti-freeze was in range(-35 F or lower), resetting the heat pump to “emergency heat”, leaving the cabinet doors open under the kitchen sink and the bathroom vanities and leaving a small trickle of water running in each sink. Here at the farm I made sure all the air leaks in the basement were sealed. Tonight, I’ll open the cabinet doors in the kitchen and the bathroom and leave a trickle of water on. Nearly all of us in the Midwest remember the winter of 1977-1978. This storm is NOTHING when compared to that winter.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-22-2022, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeap, I think I’m gonna have to break out the long pants. 😁

The Following User Says Thank You to Murf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
I hope that you AND I can attend the Great Bend event, this coming year!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 03:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They talk about polar vortexes and atmospheres rivers here in Washington. Definitely like to fluff it up with tag lines. Colder than normal here in the NW, 6* when I got up Thursday morning 0* if you factor the wind chill. No thanks I'll take 45* and rain all winter.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our Alabama porch is at 5F this AM. Johnstown PA is more than 35F warmer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60474B84-0ACE-4D1F-A283-D80F158874D8.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	603946  

Old 12-23-2022, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

-8° when I left for work at 5:45 this morn. Wind chill was a blustery -33°. Brrrrrr
And yes, I made sure to get my brass monkeys in last night! LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to tempest1964 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought this post was about a comet cyclone. We are getting high winds now. Seems about 20-30mph. Still 30s.minimal snow. It's coming I guess. Take one step at a time. I remember as a kid we had cold weather,the local Loyalhanna creek that had all kinds of businesses dumping liquids in(Rolling Rock was one)and sulfur from mines. Water would freeze solid so we rode are sleds on the ice. Outside here in country the drifts would be 4to 5 ft deep. Local excavator used his John Deere crawler to open roads as state and townships didnt have enough plows. Those were winters. We never had 4wd,just lucky if you had posi, installing chains was common.Now to me it seems media sensationalism,to buy something. Oops,I better run and get more toilet paper.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I just can't imagine what its like to live through those temperatures year after year

If it gets down to freezing (0 centigrade), which might happen just once or twice every winter here, it sure makes the news headlines.

Actually, I'd like to have a white Christmas once in my lifetime. I think that would be very enjoyable but NOT every year.

Christmas Day here will have a low temp of 11 and the high will be 31. Centigrade.

Anyway, I hope you all have a safe and enjoyable Christmas.

Cheers from Australia

Old 12-23-2022, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

10 degrees here in Ennis TX this morning,,,,, grateful for a hot shower this morning and the new central HVAC upgrade from last Summer

69 Firebird 400 Burgandy/Black
70 Olds Rallye 350 F85 4 speed 3.91's
70 Olds Cutlass Cruiser Red Wagon 350 101k miles 15 sec 1/4 12 sec w 455
74 Cheyenne Super C10 LWB Gen 6 454 w ZZ502 cam 3.07gear 13.1 1/4, 8.3 1/8
2020 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4 5.7 A8 Hemi
2007 Hummer H3 3.7 liter turd
2019 Chevy Spark petrol car 38 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to PONTIAC LARRY For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well we are getting the snow now, sideways. They are saying heavy at times,then 1 to 3 inches. That's not heavy.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live in the same general area as Sirrotica, within a 50 mile radius. Yes it's cold outside. It is 2 days before Christmas in the Midwest. Bomb Cyclone has, an ominous sound to it. Up until a few years ago, it was just called winter weather. -7 degrees right now, verified by the digital temp readout on my 22 year old Jeep. We have 1-2 inches of snow on the ground blowing around with a coating of ice under it. The interstates, I 75 and I70 have maybe 25% of the road surface snow/ice covered. Growing up 55 years ago in this same area, we would get 1-2 events like this every year. I had a morning paper route with about 75 weekly customers. I remember 1-2 times, my dad loading the papers in the back of his purple AMC Ambassador wagon and driving me on my route to deliver the papers when it was way below zero. If it was above 0-5 degrees F, it was my problem to get them delivered and they better not be late. Today I got an e-mail saying not to expect paper delivery for the next 2-3 days. Wimps. It's a motor route. Yes, I still like reading an actual paper!