Old 04-09-2023, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default should i buy it

looking at a 1980 trans am 4.9 one owner car mint , only thing not a big fan of the 4.9 engine . what is the opinion on this car and engine

Old 04-09-2023, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hard to find a mint anything these days and they quit making them.

You Won't win any races but maybe the beauty of the ball...

Old 04-10-2023, 01:58 AM
Suspended

If you aren't a fan, then it will unlikely change after a drive and never feel happy with it. The mint part is good, if indeed you would be happy with a mint 4.9, and a 1980.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My opinion is that it still looks fast going down the road. In todays world a new Camry can beat a stock 400 4 speed TA in a drag race. If you like it, roll with it and enjoy it for what it is.

I went through this with my third gen. It’s a 350 TPI car but nothing in a world of LS, LT, coyotes and hellcats. I decided just to leave it alone and enjoy it as the time capsule it is.

You would likely put on aftermarket exhaust and ditch the cat which will make it much more fun to drive and sound better.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is mint? I think that means in perfect condition, check the oil, put gas in and drive. For the right price I would be all over it. Like mentioned those types of cars are getting harder to find. Keeping it original will keep the value up. Maybe because I am not a racer, I do not understand the need for excessive h/p and speed. If that car runs good and will keep up with traffic I would be perfectly happy. So what if a new camry can outrun it! I took my 77 trans am out sat evening for a run to the auto part store (to get parts for something else) then stopped for a pizza pickup. I wasnt and never look for accolades, but the guy in the auto parts started to freak out. He didnt know it was my car but started with the 'did you see that trans am in the parking lot?' I got 2 thumbs up, and a hard stare at a traffic light. A guy turned his vehicle around and followed me back into the pizza place, got out of his truck and proceeded to compliment the car and tell me of his memories with them in the past.
How many camry owners can say this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2023, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy it! I bought mine thirty five years ago and have had nothing but enjoyment and great memories. It started out as an all original 80 TA with a 301 and no A/C. The original engine ran great and responded well to dual exhaust, 1.65 rocker arms and 3:08 gears. I originally purchased this as a winter car to preserve my two 74 Firebirds. Over the years it's morphed into a ten second pump gas street driven car we take to local drive nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181018_172704.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	610653  

Old 04-13-2023, 03:12 AM
Suspended

If you have to ask because you already aren't sure....then...maybe your should !