Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-21-2023, 04:33 PM

Default The Ugly Truth About Your Engines Oil Filter THEY Don't Want You To Know

Saw this clip from Uncle Tony's Garage on YouTube. I'm not an expert in this area but his theory may have some credibility. What say you? Time for an oil bypass setup on our rigs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwwG_su6R_Y

Old 04-21-2023, 05:17 PM

As always, the real story is in the comment section.

"And the one thing you can say about Capitalism is that, although it produces inequality-which it absolutely does-it also produces wealth, and all the other systems DON’T. They just produce inequality." Dr. Jordan Peterson
The Following User Says Thank You to LM93 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2023, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once you know about the stock Pontiac set up and how it bypasses unfiltered oil into the motor whenever there is more then a 15 psi difference seen at the filter mount, it really makes you see how when things go off the rails that motors get chewed up so fast once chit starts getting into the oil .

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2023, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Once you know about the stock Pontiac set up and how it bypasses unfiltered oil into the motor whenever there is more then a 15 psi difference seen at the filter mount, it really makes you see how when things go off the rails that motors get chewed up so fast once chit starts getting into the oil .

Its to late for any oil system then, not a Pontiac flaw

Oil systems in mass produced engines are designed to keep things good that are already good, the warranty period scoops up the rest, and no manufacture should bare the brunt of crappy maintenance and all out abuse or a crap build 50 years later

Last edited by Formulas; 04-21-2023 at 06:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2023, 06:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM93 View Post
As always, the real story is in the comment section.
Yep. Uncle Tony is misleading his followers.

The Following User Says Thank You to promptcritical For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2023, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face Just wait...

Hide your rolls of TP

Old 04-22-2023, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I constantly tell my wife about YouTube .... that's just some guy with a camera. That's ALL you need to be on YouTube .. a camera, not knowledge, not expertise, not a license, not a degree, not a profession .... just a camera.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Meanwhile, a lot of engines out there with 200,000 plus miles on them.

I`m thinking back on that 455 I just sold with it`s 80# pump. That thing was built in the late 80`s and was run hard. Still ran great in 2022 when I sold it. I believe the dude`s running 12`s with it still at 3700`ish pounds with highway gears. Hmmm.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not saying it’s a flaw.

Of course it’s far better to have dirty oil flowing then no oil at all and many other manufacturers do the same thing either by means of bypass systems like Pontiac uses, or ones built into the oil filter.

All I am saying is for example if you have a motor with good oil pressure chewing up a cam then that cast iron grit is going thru the whole motor.

I still have a piston from a rebuild motor I got from a junk yard that failed two cam lobes and lifters.
The reason I save this junk piston was due to how much cast iron got imbedded in to the skirts.

The cylinder wall looked like it was vertically sand blasted.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-22-2023, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Like I constantly tell my wife about YouTube .... that's just some guy with a camera. That's ALL you need to be on YouTube .. a camera, not knowledge, not expertise, not a license, not a degree, not a profession .... just a camera.
Agree,
Youtube, to me, is for entertainment purposes, not tutorials from some guy I don't know.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2023, 11:37 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Agree,
Youtube, to me, is for entertainment purposes, not tutorials from some guy I don't know.
X2 except for the Richard Holdener Website.

Richard has a good handle on engine building and Boost over a 40 year period.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2023, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh god, not oil filters.

This thread should go well

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2023, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It takes a lot to kill a stock Pontiac engine can’t tell you how many engines I have pulled from running cars 100,000+ miles and when you disassemble it and it has so much sludge in it I’m amazed it even ran with most of the oil return holes plugged and a quart of old oil stuck in top end forever. Without the oil bypass none of them would have survived.

The Following User Says Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2023, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Agree,
To be fair I have learned how to do a ton of individual tasks from youtube, forums, and even FB.

I somewhat agree with you on abstract things like engine power theory, then you need to be careful who you take advice from. I want someone like Holdner or Brule with some credability. But when I am simply trying to find a visual example of some task I need done, its been really handy. If that fails, I get on here a picture of their car so I can see how something comes apart of goes together.

I could not for the life of me figure out how to change the needle and seat in a 4165 carb the other day. Found a yourube video doing it and they pointed out an E clip I wasnt noticing. Saved me scratching my head for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2023, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old engines including the Pontiac L6 & L8 had no oil filters. They depended on non detergent oil to let the crud drop into the bottom of the pan. No wonder they were done by 60,000 miles.

Old 04-22-2023, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Don't forget the totally unrelated thumb nail of a chest blessed woman.

To be fair not all the vids are BS. I can pretty much tell within a few seconds if I'm watching someone missing a few marbles or if it's legit good info. I made a vid on a whim about a mystery oil leak on a 2000 Camry and it got 127K views. I was shocked.

I think UTG lets his love of all things MOPAR kind of influences his vids. I think oil filters have a bypass in them so the companies don't get sued for new engines by people who think every 10,000 miles is a good oil change.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-22-2023, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Agree,
David Freaking Vizard is on U Tube. Take his info to the bank.
https://www.youtube.com/@DavidVizard

Scotty Kilmer . New car/truck expert. Reminds me of my auto shop teacher. And we think alike as far as vehicles. His favorites, Toyota, Honda and the best Euro car, Volvo. I own all 3.
https://www.youtube.com/@scottykilmer
I found out how to get the starter off my Tundra from U Tube without pulling half the engine. If you are trying to take something apart/fix a component on a newer car you can always watch several videos of people doing it so you know what you are getting into.
Big time saver.
Sandboxx, if you are into military aviation/hardware like me.
https://www.youtube.com/@SandboxxApp

Garand Thumb if you are into guns.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0R...EQbcahZWkmzeTQ

Your appliance goes bad, you can fix it and know what brands not to buy.
https://www.youtube.com/@bensappliancesandjunk

Lots of good stuff on U Tube. Just don't look for anything controversial or you will get a lot of censored one viewpoint garbage.
I like to watch vids of animal/human reunions, animals helping others. Plents of heart warming stuff.
And I listen to a lot of music videos there. Every artist you can think of. Good sound (if your computer has a good sound card) and once you do a few searches U Tubes algorithm will line up a bunch of the music you might like and they will make several "mix" videos for you on your homepage.
Its great for that. In fact, time to work on my car so I am going to the garage listening to music while I wrench right now.

Oh, adds ? Download the Brave Browser. Watch U Tube there and you will not see one add, EVER !!
https://brave.com/
Note, their search engine sux but add blocker is fantastic so U Tube is all I use it for.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scotty Kilmer is an insufferable idiot

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2023, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I find great car repair videos on Youtube all the time. Some of them are absolute crap and scary. Some are dangerous. But many are really useful and big time savers. Like the 45 minute heater core replacement on a Jeep Caliber that is nearly a 14 hour job normally. Followed the video, worked like a charm. Certain large channels have consistent good content. A1 Auto is good, South Main Auto LLC is very sharp, many others. Uncle Tony is really good at explaining the obvious and he does love his Mopars that have the same "flaws" he is always pointing out on the Pontiacs.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Common sense applies here fella's.

Understanding the flow path and "resistance to flow" are the key elements involved here. What's even more important is that at this point in my life and learning curve I'm certainly NOT going to start worrying about much of anything, especially something that has served me very well on nearly every engine I've owned dating back to the early 1970's.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: