Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-03-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Need advice for G body rear my little 10 bolt finally broke

I need some help from the guys with G body cars on a rear end. I want to make it strong enough for the 467, and I plan on more engine upgrades in the future. The 7.5 ten bolt lasted 5 years behing the 406, and about 60 passes behind the 467. I can't complain. I won 4 races this year with the new motor, so I had a decent year. I'm done for the year so I can concentrate on the rear end, what gears, and what converter to run. I will probably go with more gear so I can run a taller tire. Current set up is 3.73 with a 26" tire. I pulled a 1.63 60' three passes in a row, running 7.20's at 94 M.P.H. before it let go at the top end when I shifted to high gear. The guys at the starting line told me I was pulling the front tires pretty good. Anyway I would appreciate some help.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-Inc...Q5fCarQ5fParts

You can't go wrong with this deal! Ya know how it is, right now you have a mild 467, tomorrow you have a 467 with a better converter, next week you have a 467 with a good converter and a roller cam, the week after that you have a 467 with a good converter and roller cam and a set of good heads... Before long your trying to run 9's (low 6's high 5's in the 1/8th) and anything less than a 9" with good axles and third member won't cut it. This deal is what is going into my 79 LaMans S/W along with one of his third member deals... D. Miles

Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd go with a Strange 60. They seem to be the best value for the strength. ONly 25lbs heavier than a 12 bolt.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is impressive for a 7.5 inch rear. I have heard that with the right upgrades they can live a while. I just went through this dilemma and ended up buying a 8.5 GN rear that I plan on doing axles and a 30 spline eaton posi set up. My car is a street car. I think for your requirements, I would get one of those g body ford 9 inch housings and build it. That was my first choice until i found a GN axle for my GP.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
I'd go with a Strange 60. They seem to be the best value for the strength. ONly 25lbs heavier than a 12 bolt.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:51 PM

Dana 60.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
Absolutely!
Bolt in and comes with 35 spline axles std and you could opt for a detroit locker.(though at some point a spool will be a choice to make)

IMO the only thing the Ford has over it is gear ratio choices and some what easier gear swaps.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce-

Problem with a 9" is you can't get a good posi in the higher spline counts.

I do like the idea with 9" that you can run a spool with all gear ratios.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have seen those 9" rears in some Malibus that run 6.0's,I haven't seen the Dana in one yet. Where are they available? D. Miles you hit the nail on the head, always looking for more power that's why I want to do it right the first time and not have to worry about it. I would like to have a GN rear but they are few n far between. I think the 9" may be the most reasonable, but the 60 may be as well, just haven't seen one or priced one. Good winter project. Seems like I always have a "winter project" to hear my wife tell it. Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Call Strange direct. They are great to deal with.
I have a Moser bolt-in with Strange pro 9" center section in my 66 GTO. I think I bought the housing kit back in 96 and have no complaints. I would go with the 9"
Good luck, Tom

Old 10-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.strangeengineering.net/ Specialty ALL rear ends.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html info page 69,70,73 and page 74 GM applications/prices and bottom of page lists options/prices.

btw Ford or Dana you are going to need changes to your driveshaft. Strange can set you up with a good one. Great service, great products, reasonable pricing.

S60 15 lbs more than 9" ford 20-25 lbs more than 12 bolt

Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go with the 9" so I can buy in seperate pieces. That Dana is a bit pricey for me.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels80ga View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go with the 9" so I can buy in seperate pieces. That Dana is a bit pricey for me.
IMO good choice.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

And with the DANA, you'd most certainly have to ladder bar it right? as DANA's never came with the GM style upper control arm "ears" and the cast iron housing of the DANA wouldn't be able to be easily welded to... D. Miles