Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-16-2011, 08:03 PM

Default Trans rebuild

I am about to attempt my first trans rebuild. What is the best rebuid kit for the th350 that will have everything needed for a complete rebuild? Thanks.

Mel

Old 07-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There just isn't any kit out there that will have everything. Some kits are much more complete than others, but I ALWAYS have to add items to them, even the higher end complete "high performance" kits that are available.

The most complete I've seen, is the TCI kit. B & M makes a similiar kit with a few less items. Neither will have a full bushing set, and thrust washer set with selectives, no sprags either. What is does have are steels, frictions, band, modulator, shift kit (piss poor instructions barely legible), filter, gaskets, seals, and sealing rings.

We usually piece together custom kits here in our shop for each transmission. On occassion, as just happened a few weeks ago, the customer may drop off a transmission and has already purchased a kit. The TH350 we did recently had the worst instructions in it I've ever seen. The copies weren't even legible, couldn't make out check ball locations, or really much of anything else.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[Race Section] The best way (that I know) to rebuild a TH350 is to get a TH400 core and TH400 rebuild kit, and go from there.

Otherwise, yea your still at Post #2.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TH350's can be set up to handle big power, but it costs big money.

For anything past about 500hp, we install the 36 element front sprag assembly, hardened sprag race, 4L60 bolt in center support assembly/larger low sprag, hardened input shaft/fwd drum, machine the direct for 5 frictions, 5 low/rev, 4 fwd, 3 intermediate, full set of bushings, thrust washers, gaskets, seals, shift improvments, etc.

I have one unit in particular that has survived two engines and 10 years drag racing only, currently behind a 505 making 725hp pushing a 3400lb car to 9.90's at 135mph. Zero issues with it anyplace, looked at it once between engine changes and put a couple of direct steels and frictions in it, nothing else anyplace.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

@ Cliff, great post in support of the TH350 build.
@ Mel You're at Post #4, or Post #3....your choice huh.