Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Default How about Hughes Converters?

Ok, I know the converter thing has been beat to death but I am looking for some real world experience with the Hughes Competition converter. I have a 467 stroker with a Crower solid cam 264-274 @.050 and about .590 lift with the 1.6 rockers. Heads are #62 with just some clean up on the runners n gasket matched to Fel-Pro 1233, about 11.5 to 1. Edelbrock Performer RPM with Holley HP 1000 carb. The car is a 1980 Grand Am with race wt. of about 3400, I havent weighed since I put the 9" rear in place of the 7.5 ten bolt. Anyway the 9" has 4.56 gears and a spool and stock suspension other than Moroso Trick springs up front with adjustable shocks and all stock rear with boxed factory control arms and adjustable shocks. I am going to put adjustable uppers n relocate the lowers later. Since I changed to the 9" I sold my 10" Redneck converter, which performed flawlessly for 5 years behind my 406. I borrowed two different TCI units which were awful. The latter being a 3500 that went to over 5000 out of the hole with a 1.55 60'., with poor traction on old tires.The mph was way down from where it should be though and my factory tach only goes to 6000 and my shift light came on @ 5800 and remained on thru the speed trap. I was running 7.20's in 1/8 at 93 MPH and I should be 7.0's with a 1.55 60'. I am looking for someone who has some actual track experience with a big inch motor in similar wt. car with the Hughes 4000 Competition unit. The car seems to like the high stall but I think 5000 is too much, although it did leave very hard. I have the engine down for fresh bearings and gaskets. I am in Germany and have been here since February and I will be going home at the end of August and I can't wait to get back to the good ol USA!!! I would like to have all my parts waiting on me when i get home so I can go racing. I know the custom converters are the way to go and I may do that but a Hughes Competition 40 is a good priced converter and I would like to get some real track experience advice on this converter if there's any here before I purchase. I would like to get the car to 7.0 to run the Outlaw 7.0 Heads up. I would sure appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks.

Mel

Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a Contental 10" converter and get it to stall at 4200. You got a big cam but no airflow. Get those heads ported and you will make a bunch more power.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry - I know its not what your asking for but I absolutely love and swear by my ATI 8" MRT Treemaster. Just tell them your specs and let them figure the rest. Gained 2 tenths in the 1/8th over my custom 10".

A off-the-shelf converter wont even compare to a well built custom unit.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels80ga View Post
Ok, I know the converter thing has been beat to death but I am looking for some real world experience with the Hughes Competition converter. I have a 467 stroker with a Crower solid cam 264-274 @.050 and about .590 lift with the 1.6 rockers. Heads are #62 with just some clean up on the runners n gasket matched to Fel-Pro 1233, about 11.5 to 1. Edelbrock Performer RPM with Holley HP 1000 carb. The car is a 1980 Grand Am with race wt. of about 3400, I havent weighed since I put the 9" rear in place of the 7.5 ten bolt. Anyway the 9" has 4.56 gears and a spool and stock suspension other than Moroso Trick springs up front with adjustable shocks and all stock rear with boxed factory control arms and adjustable shocks. I am going to put adjustable uppers n relocate the lowers later. Since I changed to the 9" I sold my 10" Redneck converter, which performed flawlessly for 5 years behind my 406. I borrowed two different TCI units which were awful. The latter being a 3500 that went to over 5000 out of the hole with a 1.55 60'., with poor traction on old tires.The mph was way down from where it should be though and my factory tach only goes to 6000 and my shift light came on @ 5800 and remained on thru the speed trap. I was running 7.20's in 1/8 at 93 MPH and I should be 7.0's with a 1.55 60'. I am looking for someone who has some actual track experience with a big inch motor in similar wt. car with the Hughes 4000 Competition unit. The car seems to like the high stall but I think 5000 is too much, although it did leave very hard. I have the engine down for fresh bearings and gaskets. I am in Germany and have been here since February and I will be going home at the end of August and I can't wait to get back to the good ol USA!!! I would like to have all my parts waiting on me when i get home so I can go racing. I know the custom converters are the way to go and I may do that but a Hughes Competition 40 is a good priced converter and I would like to get some real track experience advice on this converter if there's any here before I purchase. I would like to get the car to 7.0 to run the Outlaw 7.0 Heads up. I would sure appreciate any advice you guys can give me. Thanks.

Mel
My Hughes converter worked perfect right of the bat and the customer service was great. But I agree an off the shelf unit will not perform up to the potential of the car. The only problem with that is the price.

Tom Syron

Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm running a similar combo but less cam and a little less head flow. My converter flashes to 3800 and that is probably a little low with the new cam in. 4200 would probably be spot on for your combo. I read a bunch about the Hughes unit being a pretty good piece. I agree it will probably be o.k. but not up to what a custom converter will do. Buy it once, do it right and it will cost less in the long run.