Old 05-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Default 68 GTO Fuel Gauge Problem

When I put the car away for winter storage it had about 1/2 tank of gas in it and everything was working fine. When I put the battery in it and fired it up to bring it home I noticed that the red line in the fuel gauge had disappeared completely. The next day I wiggled some wires around under the dash and presto!! the gauge went to 1/2 tank. Congratulating myself on being an electrical genius, I drove it to the gas station and filled it up. The gauge promptly moved to Full, where it has been ever since even though I have put more than 100 miles on the car. So something is obviously wrong.

I read somewhere in another post that if the gauge stays on Full that it's a ground problem. Where does the Fuel gauge get it's ground from? I recall a wire going from the sending unit to ground, and it's possible that the connection has corroded, but before I go dropping the tank I thought I would ask the experts in this forum. Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Look down about 10 posts below yours, Under 68 gto gas tank. If i remember right it may be somewhere around the trunk lach or near the tag light.

Last edited by cuz68; 05-09-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ground for the fuel tank is on the front of the trunk brace, you can see the brass terminal and the wire in the pic if you squint.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM

You may not have to drop the tank. Crawl under there and feel around the front passenger side on the top for the sending unit and try to find the wire. I have always heard if you are going to store a car for the winter, tank should be either completely full or completely empty. Half full supposedly will collect condensation.