Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Default Crane Cams valve springs

Has anyone used the valve springs with part# 11310? If so do they require any machining on the head? Thanks.
Mel

Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That part number is for the Crane kit with the retainers and such.

The springs in that kit are the #99838-16 springs.

As I recall they dont require machine work on stock heads.

Their catalog info does'nt suggest they need such either.

So I'm fairly confident that they dont need any machine work,at least not beyond the fact that they typically install @ 1.650" vs. the OE 1.600",but that's nothing some + height retainers or locks cant take care of,also if you paln to leave out the OE spring shields (when using PC valve stem seals),that's an easy .030" of IH right there as well.

And seeing that kit includes the retainers as well,that deal may already be taken care of AFAIK.

HTH

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

don't use the stock oil splash shields with those springs. i has several of them crack and had chunks break out of them, this was on a mild street engine, also i remember being told on here that those Crane Springs were basically junk, so i changed to a set of Crower springs and scrapped the oil shields!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63 tempest pics 346.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	229689  

Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto here on not using the splash shields with those springs. They will crack. In that respect, they may require machining of the head so you can use PC seals instead of the stock umbrella valve stem seals.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont406
don't use the stock oil splash shields with those springs. i has several of them crack and had chunks break out of them, this was on a mild street engine, also i remember being told on here that those Crane Springs were basically junk, so i changed to a set of Crower springs and scrapped the oil shields!
Your refering specifically to the Crane single w/damper springs #99840-16,and yes that specific spring is indeed what I often refer to as complete junk.

But the Crane #99838-16 dual springs are fine for the most part,except for the OE oil shield issue that has been mentioned,the reason for that OE spring shield issue is mostly because the OD for both those Crane springs are like 1.460"/1.465" OD,which is ever-so-slighty too large an OD for the OE oil shields,typially the springs need to be a bit smaller than that,take the Crower springs for instance here,they are 1.400"/1.405" so they work fine with the OE oil shields.

IIRC the OE springs are like 1.437" OD,so the 1.460"ish OD Crane springs are just that tiny bit too big for those OE oil shields ID,and as such they tend to crack those oil shields as SOP.

Big difference between those two specific Crane springs though,the #99840-16 single w/dampers have a slew of other issues that have been discussed here in the past.

The #99840-16 springs also tend to walk around on the seats alot,and as such that tends to lead to cracked/broken springs on a regular basis as well.

The #99838-16 double springs dont have that issue AFAIK.

I'd use the #99838-16 dual springs no sweat,but you could'nt force me to use the #99840-16 single w/damper springs even if you stuck a gun to my head and threatened to shoot me.

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief View Post
Your refering specifically to the Crane single w/damper springs #99840-16,and yes that specific spring is indeed what I often refer to as complete junk.

But the Crane #99838-16 dual springs are fine for the most part,except for the OE oil shield issue that has been mentioned,the reason for that OE spring shield issue is mostly because the OD for both those Crane springs are like 1.460"/1.465" OD,which is ever-so-slighty too large an OD for the OE oil shields,typially the springs need to be a bit smaller than that,take the Crower springs for instance here,they are 1.400"/1.405" so they work fine with the OE oil shields.

IIRC the OE springs are like 1.437" OD,so the 1.460"ish OD Crane springs are just that tiny bit too big for those OE oil shields ID,and as such they tend to crack those oil shields as SOP.

Big difference between those two specific Crane springs though,the #99840-16 single w/dampers have a slew of other issues that have been discussed here in the past.

The #99840-16 springs also tend to walk around on the seats alot,and as such that tends to lead to cracked/broken springs on a regular basis as well.

The #99838-16 double springs dont have that issue AFAIK.

I'd use the #99838-16 dual springs no sweat,but you could'nt force me to use the #99840-16 single w/damper springs even if you stuck a gun to my head and threatened to shoot me.

FWIW

Bret P.
DoH! My bad Bret, got my part# mixed up !