Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Default Anyone ever had this happen?

I finally got off my lazy butt and pulled my trans and repaired it. After replacing the broken rear from last year with an all new 9" Ford I was ready to go racing . When I backed out of the garage I found out I had no forward gears, bummer. As I said I pulled the trans and fixed it this weekend. The output shaft was twisted into as clean as if you had cut it. It broke right behind the front splines where it tapers. Luckily I had donor trans to use, also used the forward clutch pack pressure plate because the other one was scored pretty bad. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this. This all came about after my rear let go at 95 mph last year. Hopefully I'll get to race for the first time this year Sat. I can't wait to see what the 4.56 gears will do for me! The Beat the Heat guys will be at our track Thur, Fri, and Sat.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I gotta assume it was a TH350,as I can't imagine a TH400 output shaft failing like described.

Now a TH350 output shaft,yeah I guess I could see that happening due to a serious driveline failure like you describe.

Far more common for the input shafts to fail,but they're typically way smaller than the output shafts are.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a bog standard '76 T/A for spares a couple of years back,it had a smogger 400 and a TH350,the splines on the output shaft were twisted about 90 degrees. It suprised me how something with such little power and street tyres could twist that shaft.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it'll back up, then direct and low/rev is working. Put it in manual low and see if it'll go anywhere. I'd suspect the VB or the FWD clutch/sealing rings. The FWD clutch is required in all FWD ranges. If you've got some tranny test gauges that'll help narrow it down.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25