Old 05-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Core Support Mods Needed - Repro Core Support in '68?

Fellas -

Replacing the crusty core support in my 68 Lemans with a reproduction. I've heard that there are some mods necessary to make it work, but haven't seen any details. Does anyone have any info to offer?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

68-70 Repo Support
PY Cat. listing says -

68 - trim bumper hooks at front top edge - trim top ridge where fan shroud attaches

69 - trim bumper hooks at front top edge

70 - none

You'll be able to see the differences real fast when you have them near each other.
(original and repo)

You "could" use a 69-72 shroud if wanted to.
68 uses the shroud with open top - and a large metal guard over the top.

i have 2 original 68 fan shrouds i'm fixing to list for sale if you need one.
(1) Minty = $150
(2) Good Condition - but needs a paint job due to some discoloring/fading $75
also have another option that is very similar for cheap $35

and should have 1 or 2 of the metal guards - good clean used

Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
68-70 Repo Support
PY Cat. listing says -

68 - trim bumper hooks at front top edge - trim top ridge where fan shroud attaches

69 - trim bumper hooks at front top edge

70 - none

You'll be able to see the differences real fast when you have them near each other.
(original and repo)

You "could" use a 69-72 shroud if wanted to.
68 uses the shroud with open top - and a large metal guard over the top.

i have 2 original 68 fan shrouds i'm fixing to list for sale if you need one.
(1) Minty = $150
(2) Good Condition - but needs a paint job due to some discoloring/fading $75
also have another option that is very similar for cheap $35

and should have 1 or 2 of the metal guards - good clean used
Thanks, BVZ. I have a mint 68 shroud (actually came off my roundport '70) and a metal guard, too. I'll eyeball the bumper hooks and top ridge on my old core support to see what I need to trim.

Scott

Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott or anyone,
what would you guesstimate a really nice original 68 shroud should be worth at a fair deal price ? Repop is $125

Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Fellas -

Replacing the crusty core support in my 68 Lemans with a reproduction. I've heard that there are some mods necessary to make it work, but haven't seen any details. Does anyone have any info to offer?

Thanks,

Scott
Yes, there are.

In addition to the shroud work needed, you might be in store for a little tweaking and fabbing, especially if you plan to use the 69^ shroud.

I have a repop support from PY, got 3 or so years ago, so my input is based on that item. There was speculation two different manufacturers were putting them out, but nothing was ever conclusive on that, at least as far as I can recall.

The problem is, near as I can tell, is the bottom plate/channel is welded at the wrong angle. I noticed an issue when attempted to test fit the shroud ( both an original and the newer Ames repop ), and it didn't. If the top of the shroud was bolted in right, the bottom stuck out a couple inches. Ditto if the bottom two bolts were in, there was no way to bolt the top of it. Well, there was, but that would have made a one piece shroud a two piece.

In addition to the shroud problem, the angle made the fenders not fit right back at the cowl.

Some suggestions for fix were to drill out the spotwelds and separate the lower channel from the rest, make corrective metalwork, then re-weld in the channel at the proper angle.

Another suggestion was to simply bolt the support to the frame then use a little manpower ( pushing the top of it towards the cowl ) until it's in the right position. I'm not too keen on pushing and pulling and hoping I get it right w/o boogering something, but I'm also not too hip to cutting out all the welds, LOL, a catch 222...

Again, this was about three years ago, the supports may have changed, or it might have been concluded there is in fact two suppliers and PY uses the one with wrong angle and vendors X, Y or Z may carry the non-screwy.

GL

Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a really nice looking, original to my car, 68 fan shrould ...although...it's broken cleanly apart in two places ....breaks are very clean... is there any plastic welding process that would be worth a try to fix this shroud?
Thanks,
JohnnyB

Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM

This stuff is pretty good, I used it to attach a tab back to the grill.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXC032

Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

or..just use a simple wood burning kit...ive used it many times, dirt cheap, works well...just take a blade and shave a piece of the shroud thats hidden for a rod...i push and turn thru the parts to get it bonded, and then use it just like a welder..i am to the point i can make it look like a weld bead from a tig....

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 05-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks much for the ideas. I'll practice on a smilar but worthless shroud.
JohnnyB

Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Scott or anyone,
what would you guesstimate a really nice original 68 shroud should be worth at a fair deal price ? Repop is $125
I would say $150-$175 would be a good deal.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
or..just use a simple wood burning kit...ive used it many times, dirt cheap, works well...just take a blade and shave a piece of the shroud thats hidden for a rod...i push and turn thru the parts to get it bonded, and then use it just like a welder..i am to the point i can make it look like a weld bead from a tig....

Yep, i usd a Weller gun and trigger happy to regulated the heat; welded the original " unnotched" 1970 Shroud to an impressive result. Smear the weldbead repair for a smooth result. Followed by 0000 steel wool for finish. Can hardly tell it was reworked; even if you study the repair the preailing opinion is it was worth repairing for the overall effect of original part and condition.

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Zappa's 68

What is the issue with the top bumper hooks if left in place? Do they interfere with something.....grills maybe? Mine are still attached and wondering if I need to bother removing them.