Old 07-07-2022, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

Default Convertible Tonneau Question

Can anyone please explain how the leading edge of a '63 convertible tonneau cover is supposed to attach to the upper edge of the rear seat back cushion? Someone had tried gluing Velcro to mine, but it's not holding and has left a sticky mess. Thank you!

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 07-07-2022, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory used a formed metal "channel" that was attached to the rear facing upper edge of the vertical back seat frame.

Into that the soft vinyl boot has a long riveted piece of black plastic that slides (sideways) into the channel. The first part of putting the boot on is to slide this all the way into the channel.

There is a ton of wind action in that area (at speeds) and the channel connection prevents the boot from ever lifting out away off of the back edge of the rear seat.

If you need photos let me know I will photo my boot and the metal channel in case works don't make sense here.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:07 PM
Senior Chief

Peter - pictures would be most helpful! The cover does have a piece of black vinyl (fairly soft) sewn into the front edge, and there is a piece of metal attached to the seat back, but the metal bracket is basically a 90 degree angle iron and I cannot see how the two would attach to each other.

The wind issue is exactly why I'm seeking this information, because it definitely does start flapping around because it's not attached.

Thank you!

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 07-08-2022, 01:04 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Merely trivia-
It's usually called a "top boot". A tonneau cover typically covers all but the front seat, or all but the driver's seat of some sports cars.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you for that - I'm a fan of precise wording.

I'm told the cover was originally marketed as a replacement for a '63 Buick Special, but all snaps and seams align perfectly. I suppose the front edge might not attach the same way the Pontiacs did, but that seems unlikely.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could you post a couple of photos of your tonneau cover? I have never seen one of those before for a '63. On your original post I thought you were asking about the boot that covers the top when it's in the down position.

Does your tonneau cover use a wooden (arched) bow in-behind the front seats to keep it from sagging?

A '63 Buick Special/Skylark convertible is a similar body to the Tempest/Lemans however the floor pan and the drive train are completely different. I think the folding top assy. would be very similar between those 2 cars if not identical. GM offered a manual as well as a power assisted top on those two cars.

Old 07-11-2022, 01:07 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Peter - I was indeed asking about the convertible top boot that I was incorrectly referring to as a tonneau cover. I just need to see how the leading edge of it attaches to the rear seat back to prevent it from catching air underneath and flapping. My car has a piece of angle iron attached to the seat back with velcro (loop) on it and a corresponding piece of velcro (hook) glued to the boot. It does not work well, and I would like to put the correct pieces on to fix the problem. Perhaps what I am calling angle-iron is the actual correct piece, but if it is, I cannot find a channel into which the black strip on the cover could slide. My car has a manual top. In fact, I have a feeling that my car does not have a single factory option on it. Does PHS cover these cars?

Old 07-11-2022, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 63 Lemans top boot

Here is a the front edge of my new blue top boot. There is a black vinyl "bead" sewn into the boot. That is what holds it onto the back edge of the rear seat.

The bead slides (side to side) into a metal channel which I will go & photo that for the next post.

The way that GM made these parts to fit one another; I do not think it would be possible for high wind speeds to ever "peel" the boot off of the car on the freeway!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans_New top boot_PYs.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	594107   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans_New top boot_PYs~1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	594108   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans_New top boot_PYs~2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	594109  

Old 07-11-2022, 01:40 PM
Senior Chief

Well, that's good news! My cover looks identical that that. Worst case is that the metal bracket is not correct, and I will need to find one. Looking forward to the next set of pictures. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 63 Lemans top boot/ part 2

Here is the metal channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans_New top boot_PYs~3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	594111   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans_New top boot_PYs~4.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	594112   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans_New top boot_PYs~5.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	594113   Click image for larger version

Name:	63Lemans_New top boot_PYs~6.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	594114  

Old 07-11-2022, 03:08 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you very much! I definitely do not have that bracket, but simply a piece of angle there. I will start looking for the correct one. Do you know if all '61-'63 are the same, or does it need to be from a '63?

Old 07-11-2022, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

One last request if you don't mind? Can you measure the distance from the top of the rear seat-back down to the screws on the bracket? I don't want to assume that this bracket that someone put on my car, is mounted in the correct location. Thank you!