Old 01-31-2023, 01:36 PM

Default 1967 GTO Factory 8 Track Player

Working on my winter "To Do" list, I finally got up the nerve to try my factory 8 track player. I was surprised to hear it work!

It needs a head adjustment, however. I hear "crosstalk", which I've learned is the tech term for when 2 tracks are playing at the same time. I consulted with "The Google" and see that there is an adjustment on most players to fix this issue.

Does anyone here have experience with making this adjustment? Also, if I run into other issues, can someone recommend a service that does a good job on these units?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,
Don

Old 01-31-2023, 07:19 PM

Congratulations on entering the exciting world of 8 tracks!
I would first try another 8 track cartridge in the player to confirm that the crosstalk is really a misalignment and not a poorly manufactured or distorted tape. Also, switch to the other tracks and confirm it's still there. I have a Doobie Brother's tape that has the crosstalk on only one track.

Also, be aware that the splicing tape adhesive is dried out after many years and will break and clog the player. The solution is to apply a fresh splice and if needed, the foam that presses the tape onto the head. Kate's Track Shack is one supplier.

The 67-68 vehicles used a T200 tape chassis. I've attached the alignment procedures. A calibration tape or a known good quality commercial tape is used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Summary.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	606425   Click image for larger version

Name:	img008.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	606426   Click image for larger version

Name:	img009.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	606427   Click image for larger version

Name:	img010.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	606428  

The Following User Says Thank You to gto4ben For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 02:43 PM

Thanks much for the info, gto4ben. I will look at it after trying another tape.

The story is that I hadn't had the courage to try and play the tape as I was afraid the player would eat the tape and make a mess. I really don't need it but then again, I can't have a feature on this car that doesn't work. I had the dash out to replace the heater fan switch and resistor, as well as the gauge lenses and when I re-installed the tape player, I unknowingly pushed the tape all the way in. I didn't know that until I turned the key and heard it play. What's in the player now is a $3 tape that I bought just to show what the player actually is when the car is shown. I bought a copy of Sgt. Peppers, so I'll try that too.

Stay tuned (pun totally intended).

Regards,
Don

Old 02-01-2023, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don,

I tried getting by with the simple belt replacement myself like I've gotten a few 69-72 8 tracks going but sound quality was junk on it. I had my 67 8 track rebuilt by a gentleman named Howard Foulds in New Jersey back in 2018. No idea if he's still in business. his email was mrgrandprix@att.net Back then his basic service was $165. I've got an email in my kept folder from then that entails all included in the basic service and then spot costs of additional needs but again, it's from 2018 so no idea if he's still doing it or if his prices have changed. I can't remember how I got turned on to him but he was very helpful chasing through the cut wiring harness I was also dealing with at the time.

disclaimer: I still haven't installed it because I haven't had the time and something else always gets in the way, I can't believe 4 years have gone by on this already! anyways, he was very professional to deal with. I can find and forward that email to you if you're interested.

Hope you get yours going without needing to spend more on it!

Later,
Dennis

Old 02-02-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
Don,

I tried getting by with the simple belt replacement myself like I've gotten a few 69-72 8 tracks going but sound quality was junk on it. I had my 67 8 track rebuilt by a gentleman named Howard Foulds in New Jersey back in 2018. No idea if he's still in business. his email was mrgrandprix@att.net Back then his basic service was $165. I've got an email in my kept folder from then that entails all included in the basic service and then spot costs of additional needs but again, it's from 2018 so no idea if he's still doing it or if his prices have changed. I can't remember how I got turned on to him but he was very helpful chasing through the cut wiring harness I was also dealing with at the time.

disclaimer: I still haven't installed it because I haven't had the time and something else always gets in the way, I can't believe 4 years have gone by on this already! anyways, he was very professional to deal with. I can find and forward that email to you if you're interested.

Hope you get yours going without needing to spend more on it!

Later,
Dennis
Thanks Dennis. I have a bit of travel ahead of me, and then I'll get back into the tape player. Hopefully, I won't need to send it out but if I do, I'll reach back out to you.

Thanks again!

Old 02-03-2023, 06:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Howard it top notch! He was still doing work as of last year, I had him do a radio and reverb for me. He is also a member here on the forum, goes by Mr Grand Prix here on the forum.