Old 03-21-2018, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Radiator Insulator Size?

Do I need to buy different/larger core support insulators?

I need a radiator, planning on ordering cold case because it is advertised as drop-in.

70 LeMans 350 Auto AC, but original radiator is long gone. Book says original code was BJ, but I don't know how the dimensions compare with the cold case. Shroud and fan are stock.

Is it safe to assume the original was smaller and I'll need larger insulators or do I need to call Ames and ask them which works better, their P120BT or P120BR?

Any other part changes needed to minimize installation grief? For example, are the cold case inlet and outlet diameters same as stock? Any issues with trans cooling lines?

Old 03-21-2018, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I read, It should be a drop in for your application. Call Ames to clarify all concerns. They should be able to help.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Two Forward, One Back

Thanks tjs72lemans

I ordered the radiator and discussed the insulators with Ames.

Turns out the cold case has large tanks, which requires the larger insulators, Ames P120BR.

I never confirmed whether the original LeMans radiator (BJ) had smaller tanks, but it is safe to assume it was either 2 or 3 core, which Ames says needs the smaller insulators.

The good news is I know which insulators work to make the cold case a "drop-in".

The bad news is Ames is out of stock and cannot predict availability.

Anyone know of another source for these parts?

Old 03-22-2018, 02:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ahh... I will also check out those insulators. My Champion 4 core doesn't fit my insulators properly.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Shiny, I believe the rubbers are the same, just the core gets wider if I remember correctly

Old 03-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

overall outside dimensions of the insulators are the same, the inside scalloped out area is what changes between the 2 to 4 cores. 3 and 4 core radiators used the big cut out on both sides because the tanks were big on both. on the smaller 2 core radiators, the drivers side insulator had a smaller cutout for the smaller left side tank to keep it from flopping around. the shrouds were one size fits all in the 70-72 where they were different size on the left cutout in 69 with extra material along that edge to take up the gap.

I can look tonight, pretty sure I've got a pile of insulators in one of the bins in the basement if someone didn't hook you up yet.

inline sells them for $20 shipped on a new set of 4. there's a few incorrect styles being sold on ebay too, these are the correct ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-72-GTO-J...9aoYym&vxp=mtr

Old 03-23-2018, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks all.

gto4evr - that makes perfect sense and thanks for pointing to inline tube. PM me if you have some decent originals you want to sell.

ponchjoe - I think you are saying the same thing about the external size being the same

Squidward - maybe pile on and explain the difference between the Champion and Cold Case mounting.. somebody else like me might search someday for the same info.. or not. But at least I'm curious...

Old 03-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shiny - sorry, I dug them out and came up with only three; and two of them are for the two core tank on the left so I must have already sold them and the alzheimers is fogging me up!

Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem, I appreciate you looking.

Inline knows my shipping address.

I read your post again, and it's possible I already have the larger insulators If they were used with 3 core radiators. I haven't looked.

A.C. cars are listed as different than without, so maybe they were 3 core instead of 2?

Old 02-04-2023, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Do Insulators Work?

I am finally installing the Cold Case and find the mounting pads/insulators don't fit great, even though they are the "long" version.

What have you done?

Cut the pads some way?

Just use them as-is and let the pads compress funny?

Here's the mounting rib on the radiator. The weld bead prevents the rib from fitting into the insulator, at least as intended:

Here's the insulator:

?????

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230204_113931.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	606656   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230204_113955.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	606657  

Old 02-05-2023, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same issue. I just used as is and let it compress and squish best it could.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjs72lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the reply and "shared acceptance" of what I hope is no big deal.

Onward!