Old 02-10-2023, 12:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Sealing well plugs

The small lead(I think) plugs at the bottom of the float bowls on Tripower carbs seem to frequently be the source of leaking/weeping fuel onto the intake below. What is the most effective way to seal these so they don’t leak? I’ve read a lot about using two part epoxy, but not much info on exactly which product to use and I read lots of comments that this doesn’t last for long, fails to seal from the get go, etc. I’ve tried the epoxy sold via GM parts departments specifically intended for this purpose, but it did not work for me. What have you guys used with success?

Old 02-11-2023, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found fuel leaks with Rochester 2G carbs are usually from the fuel line fitting or overflow leaking through the airhorn gasket. Rember, the two lead plugs in the bottom are at the lowest portion of the float bowl. Fuel that leaks anywhere on the carb body ends up collecting from the area directly below the main jets. In the rare occasion when I have a leaking lead plug at the bottom of the float bowl. I fix it as follows:

First, the factory lead plug needs to be drilled out. The hole size is approx. .144". Ideally, a piece of round lead approximately .150" diameter could be used to plug the hole, but I use a piece of 1/8" OD solid 50/50 solder, cut to about 3/16" long. Making sure the ends are square and flat, I tap one end gently on a solid surface. The OD of the solder expands with each tap. While you're doing this, test the fit into the float bowl hole until you find it is slightly oversized. Then, apply RED LOCTITE to the hole and the plug you made. Tap the plug into the hole until the end is flush.

I have not had leaks using this method of repair.

Another method would be to tap holes to 10-32 and insert a threaded rod or 10-32 set screw, coated with a liberal amount of fuel-proof pipe dope such as Permatex Silcon-based liquid. You can then apply epoxy over the head or end of the screw if you chose.

I have had good luck with JB Weld for any area exposed to fuel. I've used JB Weld to repaiar small holes in the float bowl with 100% success. Marine-Tex is another epoxy used by some.

All of the above also applies to the lead plug below the accelerator pump. Occasionally, after bead blasting, I find this plug missing. This is a more common source of leakage, even if the plug is in place. than the two holes below the jets.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-16-2023, 01:29 AM

Spammer was banned and their post deleted.

When you see a spammer, don't respond to their post - just report them. That's the fastest way for us to find and delete them.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Cliff's method, similar to the above......drill and tap for suitable screw and install with an epoxy like Marine-Tex.

George