Old 02-16-2023, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1958 Treadlvac interchange? Super clean!

I picked up this '58 TV and am thinking about having it restored for my '57.
The vacuum can is the same but the master portion is quite different and I suspect that it is too tall to fit under the column.
It is the cleanest one I have ever seen but I thought these were normally painted.
This is clearly bare plating, maybe it was a service replacement or a reman...
Any experts out there?
The original plan was to find a '58 guy who would like it but it will be tough to let it go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1014179.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	607310  

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-16-2023, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac used two different suppliers for master cylinders and brake boosters, Bendix and Moraine. I'm not familiar with 1957-1958 parts specifically but I know in 1961 the parts from the two manufacturers looked different from each other, in particular the booster was painted from one manufacturer but plated from the other. Maybe this is one brand and the one in your car is the other?

I looked at the 1960 master parts catalog over at http://www.pontiacsafari.com/MPC/ and it appears to say that Bendix power brakes were interchangeable from 1957 to 1958, but then it also appears to say that Moraine power brakes were interchangeable from 1955 to 1957 with a different part number for 1958...that doesn't make sense to me, but hopefully someone else can provide more insight.

Old 02-16-2023, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most TreadleVacs we have seen fit on the firewall under the pedal; they were 1:1 ratio as the rod nested behind the actual pedal.

Those were angled somewhat unlike what you have here -

Old 02-17-2023, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
I picked up this '58 TV and am thinking about having it restored for my '57.
The vacuum can is the same but the master portion is quite different and I suspect that it is too tall to fit under the column.
It is the cleanest one I have ever seen but I thought these were normally painted.
This is clearly bare plating, maybe it was a service replacement or a reman...
Any experts out there?
The original plan was to find a '58 guy who would like it but it will be tough to let it go!
That is a Delco Moraine unit since it has a cast iron master cylinder.
The Bendix has an aluminum master cylinder. They do interchange but I'm not sure is a 57 interchanges with a 58

Old 02-17-2023, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent point Scarebird, the cover will be on an angle and likely leak. I bet a '55-'57 master could be fit to this assembly...
And thanks Stuart, Thinking that '58 was the last year for the T.V.

7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-19-2023, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Update:
Just picked up a really clean '57 Olds unit. Same thing as '57 Pontiac but it has a little filler tube. I could rebuild this one & leave the tube for convenience of just swap on my cover
Lots of time before spring

7th Firebird
57 Starchief