Old 02-13-2023, 03:29 PM

Default How to use factory air filter housing from Carter AFB on an Edelbrock carb

I’m swapping out my original Carter AFB on my ‘64 Grand Prix. The current air horn is 4 1/4” and the new Edelbrock is 5 1/4”. I want to retain the factor filter housing. Any recommendations on how to solve this?

Old 02-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This might not be what you like to hear, but i recommend restoring the original AFB and sell the E-clone to some Ch*vy-owner for which engines these poor exuse for a carb was intended.

JMHO

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 02-13-2023, 05:48 PM
Senior Chief

Sometimes swapping carbs is the best solution and the newer Edelbrock's work very well and super simple to tune. I'm not a purist, if I want to keep the original look, I'll buy a used or repop air cleaner that I can cut up and store the original. I'll also buy an aftermarket air cleaner for just the base that has a similar drop base shape and weld the carb mount area to the stock air cleaner. Only you will know.

Old 02-13-2023, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2XKenth

Old 02-13-2023, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I Have bought 2 cars with Ecarb's and replaced them with Pontiac AFB's The original type carb is reasonably inexpensive, easy to rebuild and if it came off a Pontiac will run fine as is. I was tired of Mickey Mousing the linkage and air filter and having the fuel line in the wrong place. I didn't want to have to fool with the after market carb just to get it to run as well as the original.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:09 AM

Thanks for your comments. I’ll give the Edelbrock a try but of course I’ll keep the AFB. I’ll retain the original filter housing in case I decide to go back.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your edelbrock carb has a mechanical secondary air valve instead of the vacuum flapper just switch out the airhorn with your original afb. The carb and your engine will never know the difference and you will be able to use the original air cleaner. The carb base will be shiny of course while the top will be dull aluminum but you can't see that with the air cleaner installed.

As others have said though the original afb is the better carb and the linkage and everything else fits as is.

Old 02-16-2023, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rebuild your original AFB. You will not be sorry.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-27-2023, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What Kenth and Dick said. Those Edelbrock carbs are junk. Rebuild the AFB, you can't go wrong with it.

I have a Carter built buy Weber and it's the best carb I've used.... manual choke too. I do have another that has the electric choke just for a spare. I'd even sell it for the "right" price. Mind you tho it won't be cheap.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.