Old 01-04-2023, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1964 GP 4 speed

I can get everything necessary to convert my 1964 GP from the Turbo 350 in it now to a factory 4 speed manual for free. Is there any increase in value? Is it worth the trouble? The car drives great with the T350.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Worth the trouble.Did my 62 GP and my 63 GP.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2023, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I can get everything necessary to convert my 1964 GP from the Turbo 350 in it now to a factory 4 speed manual for free. Is there any increase in value? Is it worth the trouble? The car drives great with the T350.
DO IT!

Old 01-05-2023, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Its not worth it. There big and clumsy, there nothing like a GTO. That car is a cruiser and to heavy for a stick. I've driven so many of them and owned a few. My favorite stick was my 65 Catalina 421 four barrel with a three on the tree, that wasn't too bad. The last one was a 66 Grand Prix with a tri power 389. I sold it in 1980 and that was the last of them.
The best transmission is a th-400 with a Hurst Autostick I shifter bolted to it. Use a 13" L-88 converter with a 2.73-3.08 rear end to give that stator something to dig into to multiply torque.

The hurst auto stick shifter feels just like a stick but without the hassle of some nit wit pulling up on your rear bumper at a red light on a steep hill. Having to heel/toe one of those big cruisers isn't something I think of as fun.. Dude, get yourself a custom built turbo 400 and a Hurst Autostick I shifter. There so worth it.

The last stick big Pontiac I drove was a 64 Grand Prix with a 421 and a five speed. This car was built right, everything was perfect. But that chassie and long hood just couldn't get out of its own way. Then you have to deal with that overly sensitive rear steering linkage. By the way, the GTO and every other GM A body has front steer linkage, which is what they still use today and so much more enjoyable to drive. Next time you push your garbage can out push it from the rear, then pull it and notice which way it felt more controlable.

Your making a big, expensive mistake. Why not just sell what you have and buy a stick. There's always someone selling one.

I just put an autostick in my 69 el Camino. It has a 427 with a 2.73. What a blast to drive. I ride around shifting up and down without a clutch. You know your allowed to downshift a TH-400 by the way..lol

Peluso, you trying to drum up money on here touting for your transmission buddys.. You Daigos never quit.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior Red shifter ball..jpg
Views:	100
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	604631  

Old 01-05-2023, 07:40 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
Its not worth it. There big and clumsy, there nothing like a GTO. That car is a cruiser and to heavy for a stick. I've driven so many of them and owned a few. My favorite stick was my 65 Catalina 421 four barrel with a three on the tree, that wasn't too bad. The last one was a 66 Grand Prix with a tri power 389. I sold it in 1980 and that was the last of them.
The best transmission is a th-400 with a Hurst Autostick I shifter bolted to it. Use a 13" L-88 converter with a 2.73-3.08 rear end to give that stator something to dig into to multiply torque.

The hurst auto stick shifter feels just like a stick but without the hassle of some nit wit pulling up on your rear bumper at a red light on a steep hill. Having to heel/toe one of those big cruisers isn't something I think of as fun.. Dude, get yourself a custom built turbo 400 and a Hurst Autostick I shifter. There so worth it.

The last stick big Pontiac I drove was a 64 Grand Prix with a 421 and a five speed. This car was built right, everything was perfect. But that chassie and long hood just couldn't get out of its own way. Then you have to deal with that overly sensitive rear steering linkage. By the way, the GTO and every other GM A body has front steer linkage, which is what they still use today and so much more enjoyable to drive. Next time you push your garbage can out push it from the rear, then pull it and notice which way it felt more controlable.

Your making a big, expensive mistake. Why not just sell what you have and buy a stick. There's always someone selling one.

I just put an autostick in my 69 el Camino. It has a 427 with a 2.73. What a blast to drive. I ride around shifting up and down without a clutch. You know your allowed to downshift a TH-400 by the way..lol

Peluso, you trying to drum up money on here touting for your transmission buddys.. You Daigos never quit.....
389 = PITTSBURGH 64 - back yet again under another username after being banned.....calling out one of our respected members no less. You do realize we suspend members permanently for creating new usernames while they’re on suspension just so you know.....

Old 01-05-2023, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Steve, I respect you! Full size stick cars rock!

Old 01-05-2023, 10:04 PM

Amen to that!

Manual shift big wagons absolutely rule!

James Q

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 01-05-2023, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

389 it already has a late auto trans so why would I want to change to another? As for selling the car it is a California rust free car that has everything new or rebuilt (including the 421 engine). I was asking if it would add value to the car. The car is as reliable as possible. It was driven from NH to Gettysburg in some of the hottest weather I can remember with no problem. Why would I want to sell it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2023, 12:33 PM
Senior Chief

I wouldn't pay the slightest bit of attention to anything what 389 had to say. For one thing No One EVER said "Oh Cool - an Automatic" and as far as driving a BIG car with a stick - very enjoyable! It's also clearly obvious that 389 Can't drive a stick vehicle. Funny thing I noticed, most people that say they can drive a stick - actually can't. Put them on a hill in San Francisco or Seattle with a car 2" off their back bumper & they go into panic mode. I learned to drive a stick in the bay area of Commiefornia there is no such place as a flat spot in the bay area. As a side note my daily driver commute car from 02 to 19 was a stick car - I put 314,000 miles on it and it still had the original Clutch, Pressure Plate & Throw Out Bearing in it when I gave it to my son in law after I retired. I've Never had an automatic go that long without being rebuilt.
Since you're getting EVERYTHING from a driving donor car it would be a straight drop in. The only thing I'm not sure about is where the Z bar pivot bracket bolts to the frame. On my 62 Catalina the holes were there in the frame for the bolts but I did need to install the 3/8-16 threaded nutserts of Rivet Nuts to bolt my frame mounting bracket. You might also have to do the same near the steering box where the clutch return spring goes off the Z bar. On my 62 Cat I used a modified 63/64 setup and I just drilled & tapped my frame for the return spring. Again this on a 62, I honestly don't know about the 63/64 setups.

Old 01-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only downside I can see in converting to a manual is since Brad retired from Fabcraft the necessary bits and pieces he was manufacturing are becoming scarce. You have a donor car, so you should be OK unless something is worn out or damaged. I am slowly getting rid of all our manual transmission equipped vehicles. I’m having too many issues with both legs since my last spinal surgery( 2016). I just don’t have the dexterity in my legs that I used to have. The only one left is my ‘03 Silverado. My advice: DO IT and have a blast jamming through the gears!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-06-2023, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks T.Weber. I learned to drive on a stick but even back then hills scared the crap out of me. This will be a double swap. Everything that comes out of my car will have to go back into the other car and work. I don't mind driving a standard trans car for fun but now days I wouldn't want to drive one in traffic every day. I just hope the added "cool" factor will over come the work to install it.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am continually fighting the urge to convert my '63 to a manual.

The only thing(s) keeping me from jumping:

1 - it came as a 389 4 bbl auto, so part of me wants to preserve that.

2 - driving a stick in traffic, like the Woodward Dream Cruise - gets old fast. An auto is nice for that application.

But, it's a constant battle.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2023, 03:19 PM
Senior Chief

Do it! Would kill to have my 66 2+2 4speed back, one of my biggest regrets. That cars was a blast to drive

The Following User Says Thank You to Sloan66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2023, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to assume your car will be for fun, not for basic transportation. As such, a manual transmission is the only way top go IMO. The 62 Catalina I have was already converted to a 4-speed manual from a Slim Jim when I bought it. It was done very nicely and shifts and drives good. I doubt I would have bought it as an automatic trans car. These old cars are supposed to be for fun. What's more fun than shifting your own gears? I have owned a few Slim Jim cars. I know there are a few "Slim Jim defenders" here. Everyone I have owned or been in was just awful. Terrible shift timing and not having a torque converter makes them extremely rough feeling. Have fun with your cool stick wagon.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2023, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do it. I have a '63 Catalina I converted from an auto to a 4 speed and will never regret it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2023, 07:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Post 4 speed swap

Steve has the right advise..............DO IT!

My newest project is a 66 Catalina 2dr ht.
It was built with a 421 356hp tri-powered 4 speed.
Unfortunately that motor and transmission were gone when I got it, but I have have a 68 428 4 bolt. with a 66 tri-power to replace it
I can't wait to drive it, hopefully by this spring.

I had a 66 Bonneville convertible with a base 389 WE 4 speed.
Superstorm Sandy wiped that car out, but I kept everything I could salvage.

Driving a big car 4 speed is soooo much fun.

My current car is a project, but I can't wait to drive it.

AS Steve replied, not very many people who go to car shows look into the interior of any older full-size classic car and comment ....
"WOW, look, it's an automatic"

You will love driving it!

Semper Fi
Old 01-08-2023, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
389 = PITTSBURGH 64 - back yet again under another username after being banned.....calling out one of our respected members no less. You do realize we suspend members permanently for creating new usernames while they’re on suspension just so you know.....
Bart, Jeff K and I are friends and that was a JOKE!

Old 01-08-2023, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan66 View Post
Do it! Would kill to have my 66 2+2 4speed back, one of my biggest regrets. That cars was a blast to drive
I know what you mean because I just bought my 66 421HO 2+2 back after 20 years but I also have another B body stick car that was an auto and I converted it back in 1991.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:40 PM

As others have said, Do It! I have a 64 GP that was an original 389 4 speed.
It now has a 463 with Kauffman Aluminum Heads and a Hydraulic Roller,
TKX 5 Speed and 4.10 rear gears. A blast to drive except the 4.10 gear is
TOO MUCH for this combo. The TKX has a 2.87 first gear and just blows the
drag radials away. A LOT OF FUN to drive. Moving to a 3.64 gear soon.
Just my 2 cents

Mad Dog 1 3/4 Headers, TKX 5 Speed, Center Force DF Clutch, 4:10 Posi.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Hey Steve, I respect you! Full size stick cars rock!
Bob, Well I do have 2 of them. 1 real one and 1 that I converted in 1991