Old 03-09-2023, 08:26 AM

Default ‘78 W72 4 speed header installation tips?

Hello all.

I have a 1978 W72 four-speed car that has Hedman headers on it. I have developed a header leak and decided to go ahead and replace the headers since they are not ceramic coated. The old headers fit fine but are old and I figured it was time.

I decided that replacing them with the exact same headers was the easiest way to go. I am looking for any tips that you all have for installation. I do have access to a lift.
Fastener recommendations? Gasket recommendations? Tips on how to get them in place etc?.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

With enough front end height, my drivers side can be removed after removing the starter. For my passenger side the engine must be lifted some to remove. For bolt access extensions and a swivel are my friends along with a shorty wrench for the center-rear bolts. Not sure if other header designs but mine are a royal pain with those bolts.

Brian
Old 03-09-2023, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just from my experience
look at ARP 5/16" header fasteners, so much easier. i also bought two snap on wrenches that are oddly shapped (one for lack of description is like almost U shaped) and made it so much easier, i also used my 1/4 wratchet, piece of cake
get a good gasket, personally never had issues using the high end felpros
I've used Doubs Dport an Oport 1 7/8 headers on my TA
i do have a mini starter
if i am not mistaken the gaskets can go on after the two end bolts are in place, but it's been a very long time since i've done this
i also use felpro collector gaskets and haven't had an issue
your sealing problem could be to warpage in the head or headers, or just gasket age
i've split the tubes on headers too, only drawback was it was a little pain to get the bolts started, but they were new headers and was warned to possibly expect that
you may/may not have to remove oil filter/oil filter housing, but it certainly might help
i just know when i put the round port dougs on, OMG, i thought it was as easy if not easier than the C6 vette headers i put on my wifes car, and that... without a doubt was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy (once the car was in the air)

Old 03-09-2023, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have the hedman 28150 headers on my 78 W72 4 speed... been on for 13+ yeras now using the original supplied fibre gaskets with no leaks at all, but i retorque the bolts after a few heat cycles & check/snug them every season or 2.

easiest way to install them is from underneath like the instructions show, jack the front & rear of the car up as much as you can. remove the oil filter housing, starter, clutch Z bar, & motor mount bolts. with a helper up top, guide them in from underneath, slightly lift one side of the engine if/as needed for added clearance. install the center bolt in the head to "hang" the headers from the center slot when putting in place & starting the other bolts. many bolts can be reached from underneath with a small 1/4-3/8 ratchet & long extension, the others can be reached from the top with a small wrench, will only get 1/8 turn each time but is doable once you get used to the wrench position needed. tighten the bolts evenly from the center out.

for bolts i use the summit brand stainless header bolts with the smaller head for easier access with the wrench, & they have serrations under the head to hold in place better. they are cheap priced & work great.

for gaskets, i used the supplied paper gaskets that have had a very long life, but there are better gaskets, i use the felpro steel core graphite coated on another car with big super comp O-port headers that work great & are priced decent. you shouldnt need the expensive gaskets or copper etc. if the flanges are flat, which hedmans usually are, & you retorque the bolts after a few heat cycles then check periodically they should last a long time. some use no gaskets & just high temp RTV. either way will work if the bolts are kept tight.

also, if your current headers are in decent shape, you can have them ceramic coated by a local shop that will bead blast them clean, will be a lot cheaper than buying new headers, & from what ive seen the factory applied coatings on headers isnt that good & most will rust through after not too long.

some absolutely hate headers and claim they all leak or are a nightmare to install, ive never had any problems installing or with leaks using the steps i described above... & ive installed or reinstalled them at least 10 times on these 2nd gen firebirds.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:28 PM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i have the hedman 28150 headers on my 78 W72 4 speed... been on for 13+ yeras now using the original supplied fibre gaskets with no leaks at all, but i retorque the bolts after a few heat cycles & check/snug them every season or 2.

easiest way to install them is from underneath like the instructions show, jack the front & rear of the car up as much as you can. remove the oil filter housing, starter, clutch Z bar, & motor mount bolts. with a helper up top, guide them in from underneath, slightly lift one side of the engine if/as needed for added clearance. install the center bolt in the head to "hang" the headers from the center slot when putting in place & starting the other bolts. many bolts can be reached from underneath with a small 1/4-3/8 ratchet & long extension, the others can be reached from the top with a small wrench, will only get 1/8 turn each time but is doable once you get used to the wrench position needed. tighten the bolts evenly from the center out.

for bolts i use the summit brand stainless header bolts with the smaller head for easier access with the wrench, & they have serrations under the head to hold in place better. they are cheap priced & work great.

for gaskets, i used the supplied paper gaskets that have had a very long life, but there are better gaskets, i use the felpro steel core graphite coated on another car with big super comp O-port headers that work great & are priced decent. you shouldnt need the expensive gaskets or copper etc. if the flanges are flat, which hedmans usually are, & you retorque the bolts after a few heat cycles then check periodically they should last a long time. some use no gaskets & just high temp RTV. either way will work if the bolts are kept tight.

also, if your current headers are in decent shape, you can have them ceramic coated by a local shop that will bead blast them clean, will be a lot cheaper than buying new headers, & from what ive seen the factory applied coatings on headers isnt that good & most will rust through after not too long.

some absolutely hate headers and claim they all leak or are a nightmare to install, ive never had any problems installing or with leaks using the steps i described above... & ive installed or reinstalled them at least 10 times on these 2nd gen firebirds.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:33 AM

78W72, Do you have a Summit part number for these header bolts? Thanks!

Old 03-12-2023, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway star View Post

78W72, Do you have a Summit part number for these header bolts? Thanks!
sure. the ones i use come in qty of 12 but they sell 16 for a few bucks more. i have these on some big 2" round port super comp headers, headers have been on/off 3 times in the last 7 years, the locking serrations are still holding strong.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1490

looks like summit now also has a "split-lock" header bolt with a locking set pin/bolt to expand the threads & lock the bolt, they are priced good & might be a nice option for locking header bolts... if you can get to the set pin with a wrench on pontiacs?

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...r=header+bolts