Old 02-07-2023, 02:03 AM

Default Hurst trim rings and lug nuts needed

I just recently picked up a full set of wheels that need to be restored.
They did not come with Trim rings or Lug nuts ( thick shank)

I'm willing to piece a set together while I restore the wheels

Also can the trim rings that require clips be used on clipless rims without a problem?

Thanks for any replies

Old 02-07-2023, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Joe, The wheels that take trim rings that "snap" on like a traditional beauty ring do not have undercut sides of the spokes at the base near the rivets and therefore the trim rings that require the spring clips will not fit your style wheels. The trim rings that require the spring clips are wider in the area that go between the spokes and actually slide under the edges of the spokes on both sides so it appears that the spoke has grown out of the trim ring, a very clever design. The "snap" on style trim ring are narrow (er) between the spokes and can be used on both styles of wheel. Your wheels can be altered to accept the spring clip design easy enough but the spring clip retention in another obstacle. I have machined up spring clip retention blocks in the past and tig welded them to the back side at each spoke location and converted your style wheel to accept the spring clip design. Lots to consider for balancing the wheel and must be done very methodically. One can also alter the spring clip design trim ring with some cutting and bending to make your own snap on style trim ring but they would need to be re-chromed afterwards to keep from rusting in the cut areas. I have also machined up 100 % accurate lug nuts thick and thin shank and if you would like to borrow a correct lug nut (to be returned back to me) and take to a local machine shop they can make you a set using mine as reference, then send them out to be chrome plated. Barry Martin at Sonic Motors may have trim rings for your style wheels.

My recommendation to you would be to restore the wheels as they are and paint the steel hoop section a nice Argent Silver, install and enjoy your very special wheels. The snap on style trim rings are not as common as the spring clip design so with that being said, install and enjoy without the trim rings.

Tim john---

Last edited by Tim john; 02-07-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:10 AM

Thanks Tim,
You Sir are one of the most knowledgeable Hurst wheel experts here as well as one of the most generous with your time and expertise.
I may take you up on the lug nut offer if I cant find any originals.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:18 AM

So I am still in the hunt for any original snap on trim rings for Hurst wheels thick shank

Lmk what you have

Thanks

Old 02-07-2023, 09:50 PM

Default Spring Clip Detail

My wheel showing spring clip installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95B965DB-E8C8-440F-AF82-08C3F5AB5E9B.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	606845  

Old 02-07-2023, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you try Tom Rubinate?He has ads in Smoke Signals.Tom

Old 02-08-2023, 06:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Tom Rubinate's phone number if you need it Joe. PM me if you would like it.

Tim

Old 02-08-2023, 09:50 PM

Talked to Tom today, no lug nuts or trim rings for sale

The hunt continues..........
Would like originals, seems like its easier to find wheels than lug nuts or trim rings!

Old 02-15-2023, 06:27 PM

Default Trim rings, lugs and caps

So I picked up my Hurst wheels from my friends storage
They are indeed thick shank clip on trim ring style and not the push on he told me.

So I am now searching for clip on trim rings in any quantity, 1,2 etc while building a full set
Same for center caps and thick shank lug nuts

Any condition is fine, just as long as they can be restored

Thanks for any replies

Old 03-18-2023, 04:24 PM

Looking for 1 more trim ring and/or thick shank lug nuts
Thanks