THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Gardening 2023

Was late in placing seed order a couple of years ago, so now trying to almost stay up with the seed companies.

We order from two companies; placed our orders last week.

Both companies are sold out of about 20 percent of their varieties!!!

Additionally, prices are UP!

Tomato plants are $7. each!!!

Been several years since we started out own plants from seed, but will do so this year (how many tomatoes does one have to harvest from one plant to be worth $7.00)? We quit as I never was smart enough to second-guess the weather; I always started the plants too early. Will try to better this year, but also have a better place to start the plants.

Ordered small peat pots plus all our seed.

This is meant as an alert to those who plan to garden, to get your seed on order.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Was late in placing seed order a couple of years ago, so now trying to almost stay up with the seed companies.

We order from two companies; placed our orders last week.

Both companies are sold out of about 20 percent of their varieties!!!

Additionally, prices are UP!

Tomato plants are $7. each!!!

Been several years since we started out own plants from seed, but will do so this year (how many tomatoes does one have to harvest from one plant to be worth $7.00)? We quit as I never was smart enough to second-guess the weather; I always started the plants too early. Will try to better this year, but also have a better place to start the plants.

Ordered small peat pots plus all our seed.

This is meant as an alert to those who plan to garden, to get your seed on order.

Jon.
Everything used in gardening is WAY UP! Haven’t received my 2023 Baker Creek catalog yet, but I’m expecting a 20-25% increase in prices. It’s one of the reasons why I harvest seeds from a few of the largest tomatoes, beans, corn, etc.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-19-2022, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We always start our cherry tomato plants from seed inside the house, with about 50% extra in case there is a germination problem. So far great results. We are in upstate NY on a mountain so if we don't start them inside it would be a big delay before harvest.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Started seeds last week-end. Started tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. Got fertilizer on the garden last fall, and tilled it in, so will have a chance to even in intensity.

Local stores that sell seeds have a good selection (don't need any, but still look), but prices are up from last year.

Gardening supply prices are scary, until one looks at vegetable prices at the grocery stores.

Plan to make some seed tapes if I have time. Commercially available tapes are ridiculous in price (about 75 cents/foot). Just need to find some spare time to make the tapes.

Has anyone started carrot seeds and then transplanted the plants? Have always had problems with the weeds growing faster than the carrots when seeds are planted in the garden.

Still need to fertilize the blueberries.

Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2023, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Started roughy 100 various types of broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage inside in early February. Plan on putting them out under row covers in a week or so. Starting the rest of the various veggie seeds mid month indoors. Onions and garlic went in the beds last fall

Old 03-14-2023, 02:35 PM

Planted 138 cells of Peppers and Tomatoes last weekend. Several varieities are yet to be planted - waiting on Bakers creek order. Looking at expanding the raised beds to accomodate more onions, shallots and garlic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cerberus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2023, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ordered exotic stuff thru Etsy; 20 diff seeds, 14 diff sellers and a $147 total, all arrived. most planted.

Hops rhizomes planted, Still got to plant the Tea tree seeds, and tomatoes.

Used to buy from Bakers, and others.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Planting in Alabama?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-15-2023, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Planting in Alabama?
Yea, soil is in no ways any good compared to PA black topsoil.

But seeds do sprout good enough, plants grow but no flavor without compost enrichment.
Chicken poop + food scraps put to garden, aged, then extra aged over winter, with fire pit ash makes a garden grow and tasty.

Old 03-15-2023, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use aged cow manure from a farm, if there are any around. Get it by the pickup load for a good-sized garden. Spread it and use a rototiller to mix it up.

Or bagged manure from Lowes or Home Depot. Works great too for vegetable and flower gardens. But it is on the expensive side now.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Last night's freeze took out our 2 basil plants, and the pomegranite tree budding leaves.

Old 03-16-2023, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Started seeds last week-end. Started tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. Got fertilizer on the garden last fall, and tilled it in, so will have a chance to even in intensity.

Local stores that sell seeds have a good selection (don't need any, but still look), but prices are up from last year.

Gardening supply prices are scary, until one looks at vegetable prices at the grocery stores.

Plan to make some seed tapes if I have time. Commercially available tapes are ridiculous in price (about 75 cents/foot). Just need to find some spare time to make the tapes.

Has anyone started carrot seeds and then transplanted the plants? Have always had problems with the weeds growing faster than the carrots when seeds are planted in the garden.

Still need to fertilize the blueberries.

Jon.
Got all my tomato seeds late last week; Giant Pink Belgium, Super Sauce hybrid( a hybrid of the Amish Paste tomato), Steak House hybrid( a cross between Red Brandywine and the Big Boy) and my favorite, Pink Brandywine. I still follow Dad’s planting calendar; nothing before Derby Day. I’ll start all the tomato seed early next week. This should have them at a transplantable size by the first Saturday in May. Still have to get down to the farm to till up the garden plot(30’x50’) and till in composted manure, purchase the deer netting(7’ tall) and procure the other plants for this year( Flat Dutch cabbage, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower) and the rest of the seeds (okra-Clemson Spineless, Blue Lake Bush green beans). I don’t grow corn; too many farmers here and at the farm grow acres of sweet corn every summer. It’s reasonably priced ( actually cheaper than growing your own) and I only freeze corn.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Temps got into the lower teens here in Central Oklahoma. NOT good for some tender plants. I hope Gardners were spared, last night!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Garden (so far) this year is one of the best in memory!

First time we have grown more chard than we can eat as it is picked, and had to freeze 10 pints.

Turnips are growing like crazy, surprising because of the really hot weather. Found the "strong" taste from the hot weather may be mitigated by soaking the turnips in rice vinegar.

Beets are terrific, canned 30 pints on the first planting alone.

Green beans also terrific, canned 28 pints on first planting, and there will be one more picking.

Zucchini fair, vines are growing, blooming like crazy, but fruit is slow. We are harvesting some, but not like some years.

Tomatoes were set out about a month late due to wet weather in the spring. Loads of green tomatoes, but no red ones yet.

Peppers are producing better than I can remember.

Blueberries about average.

Central Missouri is currently listed as being in a "severe drought", so watering every other day.

So far, Bambi and friends have not solved the electric fence, but the rabbits have solved it. Funny how one sometimes hears a "poof" and a rabbit seemingly has a heart attack

Have second and third plantings of beans, beets, and turnips coming on.

Pawpaw trees are loaded, but I cannot compete with the squirrels; probably will harvest no pawpaws.

Jon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Garden (so far) this year is one of the best in memory!

First time we have grown more chard than we can eat as it is picked, and had to freeze 10 pints.

Turnips are growing like crazy, surprising because of the really hot weather. Found the "strong" taste from the hot weather may be mitigated by soaking the turnips in rice vinegar.

Beets are terrific, canned 30 pints on the first planting alone.

Green beans also terrific, canned 28 pints on first planting, and there will be one more picking.

Zucchini fair, vines are growing, blooming like crazy, but fruit is slow. We are harvesting some, but not like some years.

Tomatoes were set out about a month late due to wet weather in the spring. Loads of green tomatoes, but no red ones yet.

Peppers are producing better than I can remember.

Blueberries about average.

Central Missouri is currently listed as being in a "severe drought", so watering every other day.

So far, Bambi and friends have not solved the electric fence, but the rabbits have solved it. Funny how one sometimes hears a "poof" and a rabbit seemingly has a heart attack

Have second and third plantings of beans, beets, and turnips coming on.

Pawpaw trees are loaded, but I cannot compete with the squirrels; probably will harvest no pawpaws.

Jon
The deer and squirrels destroyed my tomato plants before I could get them in to ground. Couldn’t find anyone to till up the garden at the farm, so this year I’ll be purchasing green beans, tomatoes and peaches to can. Found really good cabbage at a local you pick farm at a decent price, so I got enough to make sauerkraut. I told my wife that by next garden season I WILL have a tractor and a tiller attachment. Considering how much of a grade the driveway at farm has and the amount of rain we’ve had this month a tractor with a six foot blade will come in handy.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So far it is looking like a banner crop...even with the squirrels and deer!

Old 06-30-2023, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Soinds like you had a good April, whereas the weather hurt our starts and seedlings. Even May was harsh. Overall our garden is weak, so another year needed to build the soil with compost and ash. All the lettuce types and bok choy bolted early.

Successes: Corn looks real good, green beans, tomatoes look promising, melons look promising. Herbs are doing it; Collards, Basil, dill, arugula, Rosemary and oregano.

neighbor got lots of potatoes so he insisted we go get some. That was nice, and the potatoes are real good.