THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 05:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/14/...ete-buttigieg/

Last edited by Stuart; 03-14-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default A Tesla plain walked into a bar with a Ferrari and Lamborghini...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/13/...i-lamborghini/

Old 03-15-2023, 09:34 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Then: "My dad's 'vette is faster than your dad's Jag!"

Now: "My mom's minivan is faster than your dad's Lamborghini!"

Old 03-15-2023, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

take me back to then...

Old 03-20-2023, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How green is a car if it has to be totaled after a minor accident?

'Scratched EV battery? Your insurer may have to junk the whole car'

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ar-2023-03-20/

'LONDON/DETROIT, March 20 (Reuters) - For many electric vehicles, there is no way to repair or assess even slightly damaged battery packs after accidents, forcing insurance companies to write off cars with few miles - leading to higher premiums and undercutting gains from going electric.

Battery packs can cost tens of thousands of dollars and represent up to 50% of an EV's price tag, often making it uneconomical to replace them.'

One of the worst offenders of this designed in obsolescence is Tesla. Many of their batteries are 'stuctural' and have little chance of being repaired or replaced.

'Lauterwasser noted EV battery production emits far more CO2 than fossil-fuel models, meaning EVs must be driven for thousands of miles before they offset those extra emissions.'

"If you throw away the vehicle at an early stage, you've lost pretty much all advantage in terms of CO2 emissions," he said.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You could shoehorn a 350 in there but it still be ugly duckling...lol

Old 04-06-2023, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tesla workers shared sensitive images recorded by customer cars

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/04/06/...customer-cars/

At least they weren't with their gal in there...lol

Old 04-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My oldest son bought a new Model Y a few months ago. He's a controls engineer and travels to sell and install DeShazo automated overhead cranes. To this point he's run up a bit over 9000 miles on it and has traveled all over the southeast in it.
Electric cars are not for me, but he LOVES it.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t care for them, won’t one one; but I’ve made killing on their stock.

You always used to hear “what if we run out of oil” . Well what if you run of lithium?

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 04-07-2023, 07:45 PM

About 12 years ago I had an "encounter" with a Tesla. I was driving to Hot August Nights in my 1967 Firebird. We were in the Blue Mountains in Eastern Oregon. Many years before that I had bought most of the suspension components that were in the VSE catalogue ( remember Herb Adams ? ) and installed them on the car. It was and is a very fun car in the corners and I was enjoying the drive when a Tesla started coming up in the other lane. I mentally shrugged my shoulders and decided to see how I would do. As you expect....not so well lol. I'm sure that he told his buddies how he walked away from my old iron on the twisty mountain road and I don't care. I expected to have the outcome that we had. I seriously doubt that I will ever buy an EV but if someone wants one I feel that they should be able to...I would just like to have the same consideration in my choice of vehicles. As a side note I have approximately 40k in mine since I bought it in 1977 for 100.00 the Tesla owner paid around 100k at the time IIRC....Sorry for the ramble. This thread just resurrected a fun memory for me

Old 04-10-2023, 04:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default NHTSA investigates Tesla that failed to stop for school bus, struck teen

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/04/10/...ng-school-bus/

Old 04-10-2023, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
I have been watching the EV debate for some time. I do not think that they would be practical for me. I live in the Appalachian foothills in Eastern Ohio. Today I made a trip to the grocery store, 18 miles one way. I used my GPS and got the major elevation changes in that trip. There are many minor changes that I did not list. Here are my elevation based on sea level by the GPS. At the garage 1028, top of the driveway 1161, at the road 1063. I will not list the other measurement locations but here are the big changes. 992, 1266, 1066, 1130, 962, 1066, 1130, 962, 908, 1145, 1158, 1024, 1136, 806, 920, 1111, 822.
OK add about 1000 pounds to the vehicle weight and drag it up and down those elevation changes. Also note that you will need to do those changes in the reverse order on the way back home.
Oh man I love reading this thread sometimes , usually well
Informed guy being completely uninformed about this topic is hysterical. Idk what the heck elevation changes have to do with an EV? I live in CT and I am I. Areas with pretty big hills and elevation changes there’s nothing my Tesla plaid can’t do better than a ICE car.
As with anything there’s differences . If you run out of gas you can’t put gas in it. ?

Yeah if your ICE car I
Runs out of gas you can’t put a charge in it , LOL

It really just infrastructure change . Many areas have guys with batteries on trailers that will come out and hit your car with a charge for you W AAA

Chevy BOLT? What a POS I’m sorry but if you’re gonna buy a EV buy a Tesla not some half Witt idea of an EV.

There’s a reason most EVs on the road are teslas. .

I wish I could take all of you in my Tesla model X plaid . You’d be blown away. There is not a Pontiac built that can compare ever . Not my RAIV not My RAV . Love my Pontiacs but this car trounces them in every way It’s just NOT on the same ballpark. Again love the nostalgia of my ponchos like crazy!!! But it’s like brining a rock to a gun fight.

I just want you guys to understand because you kind of sound ridiculous. If I didn’t tell you it was an EV driving unit you wouldn’t know. Except it was more torque and way more HP
It’s usable like a Catalina wagon but fast as a RAV pro stocker . . Gas stations? Haven’t seen one I. A long time, I charge it at night while I sleep most times and it goes 330 miles on that .
It costs me $40 to do so

I really don’t loses any sleep over people not “Getting it” but I read these statements and think how could people be soooooo misinformed . Those who know me know I’m NOT a freebie by any stretch of the imagination. FAR from it. I want a clean world but that’s not why I own one . I own one because it’s a better car. It’s better than anything I’ve ever owned. In 90 percent of circumstances .

I would t want to TOW heavy things like skid steers and boats , cars w it. And I wouldn’t want to be in areas without options for charging unless I had short drives like 75 miles or less . But everything else It is BETTER .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 04-10-2023, 05:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Deteriorating parking lots could collapse under the weight of heavy EVs

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/04/09/...rking-garages/

Old 04-10-2023, 06:29 PM
Senior Chief

I get it you love your Tesla. I still would never own one. It is still ugly. It may be faster, handle better and cost a whole lot more, but my Firebird will always look better than a Tesla. The whole notion of saving the planet by everyone buying electric cars is unrealistic. Until the electric grid is upgraded, the electric car will not be adopted by everyone. The Chevrolet Bolt is not as good as a Tesla but at a half or third of the price, I would try one of those first.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
I get it you love your Tesla. I still would never own one. It is still ugly. It may be faster, handle better and cost a whole lot more, but my Firebird will always look better than a Tesla. The whole notion of saving the planet by everyone buying electric cars is unrealistic. Until the electric grid is upgraded, the electric car will not be adopted by everyone. The Chevrolet Bolt is not as good as a Tesla but at a half or third of the price, I would try one of those first.
It’s like a RAIV Vs a 6 cyl 1 barrel . Go for the RAIV.

I wouldn’t say it’s saving the planet . The carbon footprint that goes into building an EV takes 25 years to pay off Vs building and driving a ICE car.

I get compliments on the looks of my Tesla constantly. People love it. I get stopped at lights w people asking about it . So someone likes it. I just have to laugh at the negativity. It’s just funny. And yes a little pathetic . It’s just so petty , if you owned one you’d understand but you won’t until you do.

It’ll be funny to se ethos thread in 10 years. II guess it should be. A badge of honor when everyone is gunning for you and trying to knock you down and that’s definitely Tesla.

I’ve owned every generation of trans am and firebirds well known in the area as a firebird guy. I’d like to think that if Pontiac was around today they’d have built something like this but I know they wouldn’t have. Let’s face it Gm hasn’t made anything worth buying in a long long time .

Old 04-11-2023, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post

This is a perfect example . My Tesla plaid is 5300 lbs
My dodge ram -

The Dodge Ram 3500 has a curb weight range between 5408 and 8039 lbs.

My 2021 hellcat Durango which my model X plaid destroys at the track by 1.5 seconds!! BTW

This is a three-row SUV that weighs fifty-five hundred and twelve pounds on our scales, yet it will rip to 100 mph in 8.4 seconds.

So how is it so heavy compared to comparative vehicles?
Take a look at almost any SUV QX80 whatever. .
They. Just dint like elons policy and they try to destroy him for being honest about what he sees and how he feels has nothing to do with the cars

Old 04-11-2023, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Think about it like this , you buy a new Sd455 trans am and everyone is saying things like- (insert Karen’s voice here) I don’t like those cars they are loud. They are cheesy. They have that stupid ugly bird on the hood it’s disgusting. They don’t have that nice look the chevy cars have Blah blah blah. It’s really the same thing. . And you’re sitting back thinking - fools !

Cause these cars (teslas) are game changers. It’s fast like a lambo, has torque that would crush any pontiac torque monster ever built , can drive it comfortably anywhere in comfort (or drive you) yet click of 9s or 10s in the 1/4. While seating 6 , Cooke on , really what’s better than that . Ohh because it doesn’t rumble lmao. I just think this whole dogging hit heels in is so pathetic z. But hey to each his own some people are more open minded I guess .

things change boys.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Saw this 'article'...

https://www.newser.com/story/333835/fbi-dont-use-free-public-phone-charging-stations.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_c ampaign=rss_top

...and wondered if the same hacking/malware problem could somehow in the future extend to public EV charging stations? I realize EVs don't charge from a USB port, but got me thinking as to the risks with new technology not identified and ones we wouldn't immediately think of.

Excuse my ignorance, if this example is not possible. But...does the premise of risks not identified for EVs (vs. ICE) hold merit?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-11-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Saw this 'article'...

https://www.newser.com/story/333835/fbi-dont-use-free-public-phone-charging-stations.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_c ampaign=rss_top

...and wondered if the same hacking/malware problem could somehow in the future extend to public EV charging stations? I realize EVs don't charge from a USB port, but got me thinking as to the risks with new technology not identified and ones we wouldn't immediately think of.

Excuse my ignorance, if this example is not possible. But...does the premise of risks not identified for EVs (vs. ICE) hold merit?

I won't go into too much detail, but I spent the last decade of my life working for the government dealing with offensive and defensive cyber. Your concerns are warranted.

These problems though correspond across the board between all vehicles... regardless of being EV. It's the inclusion of wireless technology that we've introduced into vehicles that permits this.

Cars as early as the late 90s were "hackable" with the inclusion of things like OnStar, SOS, and anything that makes a "wireless" connection to the CAN bus... basically the BCM, which is connected to the ECM via a CAN bus network.

Even things like you'd least expect, such as the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, can allow an attacker to hack into your car and affect the systems.

The earliest "hack" was manipulating wireless key fobs. They used to be serialized (like the old garage doors), and then it became a rotating key, etc. But because these fobs are omni-directional, there are capture devices that allow you to capture the rolling key, and since it's a known standard, it can decode the encryption on even the newest models, and replicate the next code in the sequence. You can then in turn (within minutes) program a new FOB that you can use to unlock any car. These are devices you can literally buy online.... for like $40 bucks from AliExpress.

It gets worse... there's a device I have called the UberTooth One. I think I paid $39 for it? It's easily available, and you can use it to hack into the Bluetooth feature of your car's hands-free phone device. Early BlueTooth devices... like BT version 1 and even 2, use default passcodes of 0000 or 1234 (seriously), and these don't get changed. So this is insanely easy. But even BT 3 and now even 4, can be hacked with the Ubertooth One. If I was standing at the street corner, and you were stopped at the light, I could pair with your car if you have Bluetooth enabled, and then begin talking with you through your car's speakers. With things like Kali Linux (using specific modules from Metasploit), you could then exploit certain features of the CAN bus that would allow you access into other areas of the car.

Another concern are the minivans and other devices that have a built in "hot spot" ... basically an access point. In most cases, these cars also use this built in hot spot to perform firmware updates for everything from the radio to the ECM. So it's always on when the car is on. This is why if you've ever had a wireless scanner open as you're driving around, and you'll see Wifi hotspots coming from cars. These are so easy to hack it's not even funny. There are free programs like Kismet from Kali Linux that you could use to hack into a wireless router built into one of these Chrysler vans, and then you can get access to the router which you can then easily exploit and reveal the rest of the network which has the BCM and such.

I'm just speaking specifically about normal cars from the past 10-years. So there's probably more you can do with EVs.

Look... just saying... if the s**t hits the fan one day... I have a 1973 VW Bus with an air-cooled motor, mechanical advance distributor, and a mechanical fuel pump. There's nothing to hack on it... but God forbid I need to run from a group of zombies... I'll probably die trying to outrun them in my bus!!! haha...

EDIT: as far as EV's taking over... I'm not sure they'll take "over..." I think there's still too much reliance on the rare Earth elements that are needed for production, and I think we've gone too far too quickly, to the point that we'll likely see the pendulum swing the other way. I would like to see low-e renewables compliment the energy sector for combustion engines. I think better / more modern engines complimented with offerings of EVs is probably going to be what we end up with in 20 years when the dust settles. But all of that said... it's an eye-opener when a 4-door Tesla sedan with Plaid seats can easily overtake a race-prepped Z06 mid-engine Corvette... which is the pinnacle of Corvette development. I don't really know how I feel about this, because the nostalgia for me is the rumble of a big engine, but at the same time, I recognize how impressive these electric motors are. What I would like to see... are more EV kits being offered that allow us to upgrade a lot of these older cars with EV power. Battery technology will likely be the game-changer on deciding how things go. If we can half the size of the battery while doubling the charge capacity... then EVs will 100% be where everything goes. But as of right now... the infrastructure still doesn't exist to really make an electric vehicle feasible for anything other than city driving and getting back and forth to work every day.

Last edited by 82-T/A; 04-11-2023 at 10:03 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 82-T/A For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 11:22 AM
Senior Chief

Jim & the fridge ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach0.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	610583  

Closed Thread