Old 03-23-2023, 01:21 PM

Default Easiest/best way to reset Brake switch proportioning valve

So I rebuilt rear calipers a while back and when I stepped on brake pedal it tripped brake light. I was going to bleed brakes but wife wanted me to move car and I forgot to do it. Anyway now brake light is on and need to reset proportioning valve switch. Any advice on getting switch to reset? One person told me to just open bleeder on one of the front calipers and slowly push on pedal till light goes out. It is starting to get warmer here in CO and this is on my list of things to do. I just like to get prepared before I attempt this and not be working on this all day.
Thanks

Old 03-23-2023, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

You'll need some sort of small diameter punch, scribe, poke etc. Unscrew the brake light switch from the combination valve, then use the aforementioned tool to re-center the shuttle in the valve between the front and rear ports.

Now, bleed your system with the combination valve bleeding tool, like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Combination-P...s%2C160&sr=8-5

That will keep the shuttle centered while you bleed the system. Once bled, remove the tool and rethread the brake light switch.

You can try the advice you were given, but if the switch already tripped to the rear brakes, it's blocking flow to those calipers/drums and there's not likely enough pressure differential to get the shuttle to move forward.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:23 PM

Okay thanks for that will give it a try

Old 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

No worries. Worst case, if it's tripped towards the rear brakes, you can disassemble the proportioning section at the back of the combination valve and push the shuttle back in to place.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Master Power Brakes used to have a plastic screw in plug with a stem on it that screwed in in place of your original one. You then pumped the brakes a few times resetting the switch for the light. Remove their plug and reinstall yours and you are done. They may still have them. I still have mine and use it every once in a while.