THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:18 PM
Exhaust Guru

Default Reissue of Jim Hand's 2003 "How to Build Max Performance Pontiac V8s"

Jim Hand’s first book, "How to Build Max Performance Pontiac V8s", was published from 2003 till about 2012 by CarTech. It was one of the first “entirely digital” books published by CarTech and they asked that its content be photographed in black and white. Late in the book’s distribution life, CarTech considered rereleasing the book, although this time in full color. Unfortunately, as originally requested, (photos in black and white), there were no color digital images to use as substitutes so it was discontinued. Fortunately, Rocky Rotella, a well-known Pontiac enthusiast, builder, writer and historian, was able to provide text and photos to enable CarTech to offer an updated and different version of the book under the same name in late 2012.

We noted that shortly after discontinuing the original version of the "How to Build Max Performance Pontiac V8s", a limited demand for it started to appear. Fortunately, in 2021, the publisher very graciously allowed us (the copyright owners) to have the rights to the original book’s content. With this, we were permitted to release the original information and photos in another book, under another title.

NO information was intentionally changed or updated in this new version. In fact, it looks and reads pretty much the same. All of the recommendations and manufacturer’s names were left as listed and part specifications were not changed or updated. And, in all cases where photo rights were owned, the original photos were reused. Basically, nothing technical changed. However, based on previous consumer and enthusiast comments and suggestions, information about Dad's Wagon was added in a new Appendix. And, using current technology, various QR codes are spread throughout the new version of the book to enable a smart phone to be used so readers can hear the wagon's exhaust, listen to the engine, and see the Wagon running at the KCIR strip.

You will note the cover is all new and this book has a new title. It has a new cover engine photo that is the correct color. The rear cover has Mark Ervin's fabulous drawing. And, it is printed in the United States of America.

I have a very limited amount being printed. The cost will be close to the typical book price today (around $30 or so) and I will have them in a few weeks. I will ship them from here in the KC area and Media Mail may be around $5 and I bet the Priority Mail will be around $10. And, I'll donate a part of the money received from folks on this site to the PY forum for allowing me to announce this new book here.

Thank you all so much. You can send me a private Message and I'll contact you after I get them here and ready to send out.

Tom Hand. February 2023
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 6.13.57 PM copy.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	608110  

Old 02-28-2023, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had that book till very recently; well written and informative.

That said, the info is 2 decades old; a lot has happened to the Pontiac aftermarket since!

Is there a legal issue that it cannot be updated?

Old 02-28-2023, 08:34 PM
Exhaust Guru

Thanks Scarebird!
No legal issue but there are now other books and writers out with recent info.

Sadly, losing our strip put us out of the testing arena so we could no longer verify things like we used to.

My interest in redoing it was to provide a copy to those who never had a chance to get one, or those who tore theirs up, or those who wanted one to tear up.

It took a year and half to do it but it looks good and reads well.
Tom

Old 02-28-2023, 11:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I paid some ridiculous amount for mine, so great to see the price gauging come to an end.

Old 03-01-2023, 07:51 PM

This is so cool. I have one of the originals with Jim's signature on it but I'd still be interested in acquiring one of the revised ones. Thanks, Tom

Old 03-02-2023, 07:08 PM
Exhaust Guru

Thanks to all who responded. As soon as I get copies in my hands, I'll let you know, give you my addresses, provide the final cost for book, envelope, and shipping, and then make it happen (after I hear back from you).
Thank you so much.
Tom

Old 03-02-2023, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom - I still have my original I acquired from Jim so many years ago, but would like another, autographed if possible. Let me know when its ready, and where to send the check.

Thanks so much for making this happen.

Jon Hardgrove

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2023, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, please put me down for 2 and as Jon says, autographed by Jim would be a great bonus! I will send you a PM for it so you have my info.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:24 PM
Exhaust Guru

Getting close. First batch is here and getting them signed tonight. Depending on Mr. Mailman, the rest should be here tomorrow and I'll send out info to all those who have shared their emails with me.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:54 PM
Exhaust Guru

I will have 75 by Friday and so far around 60 are spoken for. I'll email all of you (that sent me your email address in a private message) and it will have the info you need. I'm tied up at a robotics competition from Wednesday till Saturday this week but Dad is signing the first 12 tonight. The rest will be here tomorrow I hope and I'll get them to him so he can start signing them. I'll start sending them out once I get all your info and of course, the funds, needed to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70164847150__A5D008C4-F24F-48AC-A6B9-B6DCBE6F97FA Medium.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	609863  

Old 03-28-2023, 07:01 AM

And since we're all friends here, if paying by PayPal, I would suggest choosing the "Friends & Family" option, otherwise Tom will incur additional fees.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:01 AM

Looking forward to get a new copy. The old one is very much used. It has been my main information on the Pontiac V8 engine.

From S.F. in Sweden.

The Following User Says Thank You to S.F. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 03:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Roofy

Definitely interested in a copy! Do I need tob PM you ?

Old 03-29-2023, 05:02 PM
Senior Chief

Sent payment this morning for mine.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:31 AM
Exhaust Guru

Good day to all! I am shipping them now. If you have not heard from me via email or private message, send me private message with your email address so I can send you the instructions you need. Thank you all so very much! Tom Hand

Old 03-30-2023, 09:25 AM

Hi Tom. PM sent. I sent an email on 3/12 to the address you provided but did not receive a response. Thanks

Old 03-30-2023, 10:45 AM
Senior Chief

PM sent

Old 03-30-2023, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Email sent

Old 03-30-2023, 09:51 PM
Exhaust Guru

JLBill, f you have not gotten a note from me already, please send me a private message. Thank you so much. Tom

Old 03-30-2023, 09:52 PM
Exhaust Guru

Please do so Roofy if you have not already. Tom