Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:24 PM

Default Blower gasket leak again

Thanks in advance
671 on top of my 455, only running 6-7lbs of boost and in this past week the gasket between the blower and intake in the back blew out, first on the right side now the left..when I pulled the blower off and reset it I did not check either the blower or intake for flatness. One reason was bc the first time earlier last week the back two studs nuts were loose ( overlooked), I fixed the first issue and Now I took it out for a cruise and I did nothing crazy just a little foot in it and noticed the whistle and sure enough another leak..had this setup for 6-7yrs never had issues…any help or recommendations sealant, o-ring manifold? I have to take blower back off and will be checking for flatness of both case and manifold, hard to believe this could be the issue but it could be.. the two leaks were on the opposite side of each other at diff times and were in the very back..thanks again

Old 04-05-2023, 01:26 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Strange. I never had a blower gasket leak in about 15 years of blown alky competition- with both factory-cast and home-brewed manifolds.
How much torque on the blower mounting stud nuts? I've always used the recommended 15 lb.ft.
I've always made sure of no tension on the drive belt, even with an aluminum engine up to temperature. How about you?

Old 04-05-2023, 06:30 AM

I’ve never tightened the blower gaskets to tight never had an issue until recent…I guess I’ll have to do more investigating..and I’m not using much boost maybe 6-7lbs…by the way this is jerseybird I was having trouble relogging in with that user name.. thanks for the reply

Old 04-05-2023, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had mine blow out on me once until I layed down a bead of blue form-A-gasket on both sides of the blower gasket and then let it set up over night.

Here's a warning though, if you do this then the next time you need to remove the gasket you will need to pop it free by leveraging a 2x4 under the blower snout.

This all being said I would check that your pop off plate is not hung up.

Old 04-05-2023, 12:35 PM

Funny you mentioned pop-off plate that is what I think cause the first blow out, when I went to check everything those bolt springs were moving around and I never used a sealant on the threads so they loosened up..this time I recalibrated the bolts and checked that gasket it was all good put it all back together and now this time the other side…Q, could the blower stud bolts have stretched they are aluminum and I’ve been running the same ones now for about 6yrs?

Old 04-05-2023, 01:15 PM

No more then 15lbs