Old 04-23-2023, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

Default Water pump sleeves question

Quick question, I’m running an 11 bolt Flowkooler pump with a carefully measured .040 gap between the divider plate and the impeller. However, during the gap measuring/adjusting trial and error, I noticed that the two coolant sleeves are a bit of a loose fit behind the plate. I’d estimate about 1/8” of wiggle room for each sleeve. Is this normal or should the sleeves be butted against the plate with no wiggle? Can’t remember what it was on my last build. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-23-2023, 04:53 PM

The sleeves each should have a rubber seal that inserts into the sleeve and butts up against the steel divider plate to effect a seal.

Most complete engine gasket sets come with those two round rubber seals. The seals dry up and shrink, replacing these seals is often overlooked during a water pump change.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2023, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
The sleeves each should have a rubber seal that inserts into the sleeve and butts up against the steel divider plate to effect a seal.

Most complete engine gasket sets come with those two round rubber seals. The seals dry up and shrink, replacing these seals is often overlooked during a water pump change.

Gotcha, thanks B-man. I got the sleeves at Summit, they appear correct, have the rubber flange at the contact point and seem okay. The divider plate is also brand new and had been in one of my parts boxes for 14-15 years! Can’t remember the source, probably eBay. I’m delighted to finally get to use it, but its probably the culprit causing the issue.

I’ll pick up a couple of thick, 1” O rings, or better yet cut 1/8” rings from a foot of 1” ID heater hose. Slip them behind the shoulder of the sleeves. That’ll kick the sleeves out just far enough to contact the plate and solve the issue.

Old 04-23-2023, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know anything about the Flowcooler pump, never found the need for one. But the sleeves and seals need to fit in such a way that their is light compression between the rubber rings and the divider plate. Can't have leaks there. I have found it necessary to shim the sleeves on the back side to provide a proper fit. I used slightly modified valve spring shims to accomplish this. It's a rather easy repair. I will look for some pics of the process.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2023, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pics to help you accomplish the repair. Shims are .060" thick each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1096.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	611325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1097.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	611326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	611327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	611328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	611329  

Old 04-24-2023, 07:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Here are some pics to help you accomplish the repair. Shims are .060" thick each.

Excellent, thank you! Valve spring shims would be perfect and I don’t have to worry about them melting if the motor gets hot (which it better not ). I was thinking that some kind of metal washer would be great, but any typical washer with a 1.00” ID is going to be way too big on the OD. But valve spring shims, just perfect. Solutions like this are why I love this place, lol. Thanks again mgarblik.

Old 04-24-2023, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
Excellent, thank you! Valve spring shims would be perfect and I don’t have to worry about them melting if the motor gets hot (which it better not ). I was thinking that some kind of metal washer would be great, but any typical washer with a 1.00” ID is going to be way too big on the OD. But valve spring shims, just perfect. Solutions like this are why I love this place, lol. Thanks again mgarblik.

The shims I used, I had to open the ID just a little with a rotary file. If you can't find some to do the job, PM me and I can send some.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Who would have ever thought of that. That's a brilliant idea, Mike. I like the Stock cast iron impellers the best.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I have been using new pumps with the cast iron impeller. Last couple Pontiacs, I have been using a Chinese Pump. GNB brand. I have to admit, it's a very nice piece. New cast aluminum housing, cast iron impeller. Nice machining. They are around $70.00 on Amazon an available from multiple sources. One of the very few really nice Chinese parts I have come across.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Who would have ever thought of that. That's a brilliant idea, Mike. I like the Stock cast iron impellers the best.
Sealing that area is important. I am cheap and need to solve problems. So you just do it. I can say my 500 HP Catalina will not run over 180 degrees now, no matter what you do, no matter how hot outside and no matter how long it idles. I do run a clutch fan and a shroud. 62 model.