THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No new car has the "character" or feel of a 60s era GTO but the GTO is a primitive car compared to the new ones. Boils down to whatever floats your boat.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chances are that you have a newer car, so you have the best of both worlds. That being said, I wish that I could get an old GTO (or maybe a LeMans or Tempest) and do the full blown restomod with the fabricated frame, updated suspension with independent rear and everything. I'd like nothing better than to surprise a few people.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was at the Classic Car Museum in St. Augustine several weeks ago during the grand opening. Saw a picture/poster of a mid 60s Vette with the caption underneath, " They don't write songs about Volvos". Or whoever else you might want to name other than Vettes, GTOs, 409s, Lincolns, and a few others.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads,Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.72 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All I can say is "Planned obsolescence" Most of our classics are 50+ years old. Comparing them to modern day cars just isn't fair. It's like comparing them to cars made in the 20's Very crude. Do you think in 50 years anybody will be restoring and driving a 50 YO electric car? Nope, Hell even getting parts for cars made in the 80's is near impossible. I wouldn't mind owning a Chevy Volt at least it can't die in the middle of the road with a dead battery. I fully believe at least for now an electric car needs power redundancy for dependability.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 06-22-2020, 04:35 PM

In the link I posted earlier to the Jay Leno video, I think he makes a good point - he says that while electric may become mainstream for general transportation, internal combustion cars are always going to be around.

Like SRR said above, comparing classic cars to current day electric vehicles is kind of apples and oranges - just because an EV is faster it isn't going to change the experience of driving your classic.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If i wanted to spend the cash, I'd love to have a Tesla. I'd have another car for the longer trips. i really don't need another car.

george

Old 06-22-2020, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this discussion has largely been about Tesla as cars and their attributes, I just want to introduce the idea that you consider Tesla as an investment. There is some evidence that Tesla is one of those companies that will be a 10X or 20X investment over the next ten years. There is one analyst with a $7500 price target on the stock. (Its currently at $1000).

FWIW

Old 06-22-2020, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Frankie, I just posted a comment on the YouTube link Stuart posted. I want to see the comments on that. I didn't anything pertaining to your post on the fatalities from the fire. Keep track of the comments too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why not have both? And they were both built in the same plant in Fremont. Long trips are not a problem. We have gone from So Cal to Dallas a couple time. Just have to stop 3 time a day. 20 minutes in the morning, 1 hour for lunch and 20 minutes in the afternoon.

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:38 AM

Default One million cars later

It's not a negative spin, but a paradigm shift that places vehicles in their proper context. With a few drag-racing exceptions, like White Zombie, before Tesla, electric cars were pretty much a joke, performance and range-wise.

We are privileged to live in an age where you can experience a Tesla and still enjoy the classics. Each vehicle from every era should be appreciated within its context and not diminished by newer standards of performance.

But for some of us that strongly associate Pontiacs with strong acceleration, Tesla realigns that perspective and the negativity you feel is the sadness of knowing that our beloved Pontiacs are no longer the king of the hill. But that's OK, because Pontiac, as a manufacturer is no more and the American car company, Tesla, has surpassed one million cars of production. Respect.

I love my 455 TA, but am not so deluded as to challenge a Tesla especially from a dig, and appreciate the advance of technology and performance. That in no way diminishes what I feel when I drive it.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:06 PM
Senior Chief

THEN GO ON A 300 MILE TRIP WITH YOUR tESLA and have someone drive your GTO,, GTO gets there in 5-6 hours,tesla gets there in 17-19 hours with battery recharge YEP thats the way!!!!

Old 06-24-2020, 12:36 PM

I'm not arguing for or against Tesla. But your friend is wrong (and obviously doesn't work with electric cars or current battery technology). Going with the facts, Tesla has a lower rate of fires, fatalities, and crashes. The fuel fire percentage rate for gas cars is actually greater than electric cars. You can find horror stories of any car, as well as good ones like below.

https://interestingengineering.com/t...0leg%20injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
You'll want to be far away from one if it gets into a good wreck...

"We do not have the battery technology to support an electric car safely and cost efficiently"... A retired engineer from Westinghouse who worked on the electric sky way system told this to me. He is a customer of mine..

The Following User Says Thank You to mback12000 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 01:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

as said lots of new cars smoke 'fast' old ones. it you want stop light to stop light you cant win unless you have one or two turbos, and then you have to set the suspension up right: $$$$

i guess the tesla is so quick because it weighs so much. over 6000 lbs? that's a lot of traction for that engine to really get to the pavement. you'ld have to be on street outlaws to compete with that.

my cousin gave me a ride in his v-6 whatever it was luxery car a few years back and snapped my head like i remember my high school buds 66 396 did. just took off. bone stock. depressed me too so i feel your pain. and here i have a stockish 400 engine sitting on a stand, realizing it wont be good for any kind of a drag race. just a putter.

there is a trade of btwn electric and fossil fuels. cant have electric w/o the biomass it takes to mine it, mfg it etc. but there is at least one company that is recycling these batteries. if anyone needs to know just pm me. sb

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting . . ,

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...nge-california

Old 06-24-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
THEN GO ON A 300 MILE TRIP WITH YOUR tESLA and have someone drive your GTO,, GTO gets there in 5-6 hours,tesla gets there in 17-19 hours with battery recharge YEP thats the way!!!!
Since Teslas have a range of nearly 400 miles these days, a 300 mile trip should be no problem. If for some reason a person did have to stop for a recharge, the Tesla Supercharger stations can recharge a car in around 75 minutes or less.

I would imagine the number of registrations of all cars fell during those months. As far as that goes, there's another news story from a couple weeks ago that says the Model 3 was the best selling car in the UK for the second month in a row.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 PM

Good point, Tesla isn't right for everyone. Just like my hot rod isn't either. Not sure how often you are driving your GTO 300 miles without stopping, I hope you do get to enjoy that often. But 90% of Americans drive less than 30 miles a day.
BTW, no offense, but your range and charge time to go 300 miles is not correct.

All I'm saying is just because it isn't for you... well you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post

Old 06-24-2020, 02:37 PM

Do you define performance on the basis of a stopwatch? If so, 50 year old technology cannot compete with today's technology...that must be called progress.

I think performance is defined more subjectively...it is the feeling, the experience, the emotion in a driving experience.

Does anyone really NEED a car to go from 0-60 in 3 seconds? I sure don't. And quite honestly if it went from 0-60 in 3sec or 0-60 in 4sec I probably would not feel a thing different. But it sure does feel good when I go fast...and loud...and with a car with my own blood, sweat, and tears put into it.

So have a car just for that kind of experience and nothing else...my GOAT does that. Maybe a Tesla does that for another kind of person that thinks money can buy that experience. Then have another car just to get you from A to B with ease...my $10K Chevy Cruise does that .

Old 06-24-2020, 03:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
No new car has the "character" or feel of a 60s era GTO but the GTO is a primitive car compared to the new ones. Boils down to whatever floats your boat.
Boils down to whether or not you want to work on your car or not.
I would hate to be at the mercy of someone else or someone else's technology.
For cars to do a decent job ( comfort, air conditioned, performance-handling, simplicity, decent mileage, cars don't need to be that complex.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Since Teslas have a range of nearly 400 miles these days, a 300 mile trip should be no problem..
Only the new long range Model S has a "claimed" 400 mile range.

The standard range model 3 has a "claimed" range of 220 miles.

The reason I said "claimed" is that in real world testing, Tesla has proven to not be able to get their "claimed" range. The following is copied from Inside EV's - a respected EV site - most manufacturers are exceeding their claimed range - but NOT Tesla.

The list is as follows:

1. Hyundai Kona Electric, 259 miles (258 EPA miles)

2. Jaguar I-Pace, 253 miles (234 EPA miles)

2. Kia Niro EV, 253 miles (239 EPA miles)

4. Tesla Model 3 Performance, 239 miles (299 EPA miles)

5. Tesla Model X P100D, 233 miles (289 EPA miles)

6. Nissan LEAF e+, 217 miles (226 EPA miles)

7. Mercedes-Benz EQC, 208 miles (259 WLTP miles - anticipated 220 EPA miles)

8. Tesla Model S 75kWh, 204 miles (259 EPA miles)

9. Audi e-tron, 196 miles (204 EPA miles)

10. Renault ZOE R135, 192 miles (238 WLTP miles)

11. Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus, 181 miles (250 EPA miles)

12. BMW i3 120Ah, 165 miles (153 EPA miles)

As to Tesla superchargers - they aren't everywhere - and there have been many cases on holiday travel weekends of waiting hours just to get the opportunity to hookup to start charging.

Last Thanksgiving weekend between LA and SF in CA...

Quote:
One Facebook clip shows a line measuring roughly a quarter mile in length, consisting of 50-odd Teslas waiting at a Supercharger in Kettleman City, California....
This was in CA - where most of the Tesla superchargers are located. Around here, they are few and far between outside of the Twin Cities. The other EV chargers take much longer than 75 minutes to get a charge.

I don't care if it's a holiday weekend or not, I don't have to wait 5 minutes to get gas on whatever station I pick to fill up right off the interstate.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:27 PM
Senior Chief

Electric cars have always felt fast. The EV1 from the 1990's will smoke the tires. They make a lot of torque form Zero. Tesla is a nice car but it is out of my price range. It seems as Tesla is not about advancing electric cars for everyone as their charger is only good for their car. They and all of the others should adopt an SAE standard charger so any electric car can use any charger around the country. It would make more sense.

Closed Thread