Old 10-12-2022, 04:23 PM
Senior Chief

Default 65 gto hood/ cowl weather strip question

Could that rubber strip that seals the rear of the hood at the top of the fire wall in front of the cowl vent contribute to increased operating temperatures ?

Old 10-12-2022, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I doubt very much whether it would make any difference one way or another. What it may do is help keep engine odors out of the passenger compartment.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
Could that rubber strip that seals the rear of the hood at the top of the fire wall in front of the cowl vent contribute to increased operating temperatures ?

I would say yes. Anytime you can remove heat from the engine compartment your gonna help reduce temp. Now we can say the engine will run at whatever temp the thermostat will open and close which would be right. The more heat is in the engine compartment the longer the thermostat will stay open. Also, the hotter every other part in the engine compartment will be. The same way when towing. You have to remove heat by way of air movement. We don't want to run a winter front in the summer or the engine would probably overheat. Same principal in winter when very cold. We want the heat to stay in the engine compartment to heat things up. I would have to say we need air movement to cool an automobile, or were dead in the water. Having said all that, I don't run hood insulation, I hate it, and I don't run the rubber strip on the cowl. I think it also looks ugly. I think the engineers designed it with the rubber cowl strip to force the air in the engine compartment down across the bottom of the vehicle. With what were doing with most of our vehicle is driving in warm to hot summer months. Gotta remember these older vehicles were meant at one time to be driven year round. Now we have taking them and put a 600 H/P engine in them. We want to remove as much heat as possible, so engine is efficient. I don't need my engine running at 200+F when it does just fine at 160 *F. Just my take on things.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
I would say yes. Anytime you can remove heat from the engine compartment your gonna help reduce temp. Now we can say the engine will run at whatever temp the thermostat will open and close which would be right. The more heat is in the engine compartment the longer the thermostat will stay open. Also, the hotter every other part in the engine compartment will be. The same way when towing. You have to remove heat by way of air movement. We don't want to run a winter front in the summer or the engine would probably overheat. Same principal in winter when very cold. We want the heat to stay in the engine compartment to heat things up. I would have to say we need air movement to cool an automobile, or were dead in the water. Having said all that, I don't run hood insulation, I hate it, and I don't run the rubber strip on the cowl. I think it also looks ugly. I think the engineers designed it with the rubber cowl strip to force the air in the engine compartment down across the bottom of the vehicle. With what were doing with most of our vehicle is driving in warm to hot summer months. Gotta remember these older vehicles were meant at one time to be driven year round. Now we have taking them and put a 600 H/P engine in them. We want to remove as much heat as possible, so engine is efficient. I don't need my engine running at 200+F when it does just fine at 160 *F. Just my take on things.
Summary - probably directionally correct but not measureable.

Recall that guys used to raise the rear of their hood in order to let hot air escape.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926