Old 12-08-2022, 10:39 AM

Default Powerglide Transmission Won't Upshift

The Powerglide transmission in my 1962 Tempest Safari shifts into reverse and low but won't upshift to drive. The usual causes for this could be a stripped governor nylon gear, low on trans fluid, throttle kickdown lever or rear oil pump not working. After being unsuccessful at determining the cause I recently removed the transaxle so that I could open up the transmission and have a look. As I lifted the planetary gear unit out I heard something drop. There are 2 pins on this that drive the rear oil pump and both had come out because the holes were beat up and oblong.

I brought the planetary gear unit to a local machine shop and had them drill 2 new holes for the pump drive pins. I was able to re-use original pins and they now fit snug in their new holes.

Now I am waiting for clutch plates from ebay and gaskets, o-rings and bushings from Clark's Corvair. I will be re-assembling the transmission during the next week.

A few years ago I bought Kent-Moore tools needed to work on the automatic trans and differential. All tools shown are illustrated in the 1962 Tempest workshop manual.
I painted the transmission housing with Eastwoods Alumablast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00724.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	603228   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00748.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	603229   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00751.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	603230   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00752.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	603232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00764.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	603233  

Old 12-08-2022, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

www.autotran.us has all the parts that you need.
I have had prefect looking governors cause a no upshift condition on these transmissions.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
www.autotran.us has all the parts that you need.
I have had prefect looking governors cause a no upshift condition on these transmissions.
Hi Steve, Thanks for the link! Does this guy have a governor should I need one? I was wondering if other things could go wrong with the governor besides the nylon gear. I'm hoping that the keys that drive rear oil pump are what went wrong.
I should be receiving all the parts needed for the transmission today and tomorrow.

Old 12-09-2022, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveweld View Post
Hi Steve, Thanks for the link! Does this guy have a governor should I need one? I was wondering if other things could go wrong with the governor besides the nylon gear. I'm hoping that the keys that drive rear oil pump are what went wrong.
I should be receiving all the parts needed for the transmission today and tomorrow.
Dave should have the governor. If you get the car going 30 MPH and shut it off in Drive and turn the key back on while you are coasting, it should fire right back up if the rear pump is working.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Dave should have the governor. If you get the car going 30 MPH and shut it off in Drive and turn the key back on while you are coasting, it should fire right back up if the rear pump is working.
A couple months ago I tried that procedure a couple times to check rear pump and engine did not start. That's why I finally decided I had to open transmission up and have a look.

I found some worn out bushings and will be replacing. The low sun gear bushing was the worst. I have a full set of Kent-Moore bushing installer tools to make the job easier. I probably won't get the other bushings I ordered till Monday. I found NOS clutch drive plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00785.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	603329   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00780.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	603330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00787.jpg
Views:	93