Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-23-2022, 04:03 PM

Default boosting a 462, rocker arm question

So I'm converting my NA 462 to a E85 supecharged motor. I talked to butler about porting my heads and he said realistically due to the limitation of the torque storm chargers psi it wouldn't make sense to port my 72cc heads. I'm going to have butler custom cut pistons to drop the compression to around 9.5:1(right now its just under 12:1) and have a custom cam cut to there specs. I have flat tappets in there now and converting them to rollers lifters now. I under stand that supercharged can only push so much through the motor so a higher cfm just equates to lower intake pressure but since I'm redo my valve train does it make sense to upgrade to 1.65 rocker from my 1.5 harland sharp. My new cam is going to be have more lift than I have now and a more suitible lsa. Some of the specs of the motor are Torque Storm super charger, 1200HP FiTech fuel system, Tanks inc tanks with 450 lph fuel pump and 8an fuel lines, Torker II intake, 72cc performer rpm heads, .80" 9.3" push rods, childs and albert forged rods, 6 al programmable ignition and coil, msd billet dist. Hooker super comp headers 2" primary and 3" full exhaust with x pipe. This motor was built by by a pontiac builder 20yrs ago, Greg Merrick was the builder and its been great motor just making it quicker

old cam specs- Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 239/247, Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .507/.530 ;LSA/ICL: 110

new cam specs- Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 244/254 @050 .380/.380 at the lobe or @ .050 (Int/Exh): .570/.570, LSA 113

Old 12-23-2022, 06:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971formula400dave View Post
So I'm converting my NA 462 to a E85 supecharged motor. I talked to butler about porting my heads and he said realistically due to the limitation of the torque storm chargers psi it wouldn't make sense to port my 72cc heads.
Truth there, with that specific Supercharger. It looks cool but under capacity
(Flow wise) for any increased cylinder head flow adventures.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I wouldn't necessarily worry about the rocker arms here, for the same reason you wouldn't necessarily worry about head porting.

The supercharger is the limiting factor here and at it's maximum flow, it's going to support around 700hp, regardless of your head flow and what rockers are on top of it (within reason). If you have a good set of 1.5's on it right now, I'd run them.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:04 PM

I’m hoping to be able to get close to 700hp. At least 650 to the wheels. It was putting down around 450hp to the wheels when we first got it together. The ProCharger kits are some $$$. I’d love a F1 but I’m pretty sure I saw one with a 7-8k tag which at this point is to much and I really want to do a T56 in the car so there go’s a bunch of dollars there. Thanks for the reply’s guy

Old 12-23-2022, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You won't hit 650 to the tire with a torque storm. At least not the single charger unit. Depending on the drivetrain behind the engine you're realistically looking at around 540-575 at the tire. I've seen a couple graphs of these things on Pontiac engines and you'll reach that power by around 4800-5000 rpm at which point the hp curve will flatten.

If your power goal is above that, save until you can purchase a Procharger setup. Butler I'm sure has a nice setup but they aren't the only game in town either. The Supercharger Store has kits based on the D1 that are priced nicely between the entry level TorqStorm and Butler's kit. There's also Pontiac Dude Online, but I have never heard anything about this company.

https://thesuperchargerstore.com/ag-...c-326-455.html

https://pontiacdudeonline.tripod.com...gerpricing.htm

One thing to also consider is your fuel injection. The 1200PA FiTech is good, but if your intent is to run E85, on a boosted application you're out of injector at around 800 crank hp. That being said, if you're running a modern aluminum head with modern combustion chambers, you likely don't need E85 at 9.5:1 compression until you're seeing boost pressures above 10-12 psi. A stock head at 9.5:1, I'd definitely want to run E85.

If you already have the parts listed on the car, I think the Torque Storm is the way to go. No, it doesn't really get you to your power goal at the tires, but it sits nicely in the setup you already have. If you don't currently have those parts, I would recommend a 4500 flange Northwind intake and grab one of the new FiTech Nemesis fuel injection systems when they are released later in the year. That will give you headroom up to about 1100 hp with E85 and allow you to then run a larger ProCharger capable of getting you to, or beyond your power goals.

Last edited by JLMounce; 12-23-2022 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:43 AM

[QUOTE=One thing to also consider is your fuel injection. The 1200PA FiTech is good, but if your intent is to run E85, on a boosted application you're out of injector at around 800 crank hp. That being said, if you're running a modern aluminum head with modern combustion chambers, you likely don't need E85 at 9.5:1 compression until you're seeing boost pressures above 10-12 psi. A stock head at 9.5:1, I'd definitely want to run E85.

If you already have the parts listed on the car, I think the Torque Storm is the way to go. No, it doesn't really get you to your power goal at the tires, but it sits nicely in the setup you already have. If you don't currently have those parts, I would recommend a 4500 flange Northwind intake and grab one of the new FiTech Nemesis fuel injection systems when they are released later in the year. That will give you headroom up to about 1100 hp with E85 and allow you to then run a larger ProCharger capable of getting you to, or beyond your power goals.[/QUOTE]

I know the FiTech is limited at E85 and the reason I was going E85 was that I was goin to keep the original 11.5:1 compression but decided to drop new pistons in it. I want to be able to run the factory ram air hood so I’m stuck with Torker. I had a perform rpm and that is to tall. I’m a VP dealer so I can alway 1/2 it with pump gas but that stuff is expensive!!! E85 is like $2 a gallon where we are. I’ll get it all together and see where it’s at. It’s going to be mostly a street car that I’m going to beat the piss out of it looking for a 9 second car but 10’s would be good. It ran a 12 flat with a 2.9 60ft at around 125 so hoping to get it high 10’s and not have the tranny explode with a healthier tire

Old 12-24-2022, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're stuck with a 4150 flange, you can change the injectors in the 1200PA. It's not terribly difficult to do. You wouldn't need to with the torque storm, but if you decided to step up to a D1 or larger that can support power levels above 750-800 hp, it's certainly an option.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
If you're stuck with a 4150 flange, you can change the injectors in the 1200PA. It's not terribly difficult to do. You wouldn't need to with the torque storm, but if you decided to step up to a D1 or larger that can support power levels above 750-800 hp, it's certainly an option.
That’s cool didn’t know you can do that on that particular setup. Are they FiTech or other branded injectors?

Old 12-24-2022, 10:20 AM
Boost Engineer

Even the much older Basic "S-Trim" Vortech Supercharger put out more HP vs the current TS units. But the TS looks cool for people who know little about superchargers at the car shows and sometimes the TS is perfect for the Entry Lever car show guy.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971formula400dave View Post
That’s cool didn’t know you can do that on that particular setup. Are they FiTech or other branded injectors?
I'd have to go back and look at some of my notes, but you would buy genuine Bosche PICO style injectors. This is a modification to the unit so it does void it's warranty. You're using better parts than supplied by FiTech though.

You have to make a few changes to get the injectors to fit under the unit cover for the fuel rails, but it's relatively simple. From there you can change the injector flow rates that the software uses within the Pro Tuning section of the handheld controller.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Even the much older Basic "S-Trim" Vortech Supercharger put out more HP vs the current TS units. But the TS looks cool for people who know little about superchargers at the car shows and sometimes the TS is perfect for the Entry Lever car show guy.

Tom V.
The TS is definitely a cool factor item, not an all-in performance item, which is okay.

Some of the literature even talks about this, but they designed the system to look and sound cool. I haven't heard one in person, but from videos I've seen, they are probably the best sounding centri style supercharger I've heard. The thing makes the right noises, even if it can't exactly back it up.

A 550rwhp/600rwtq F body isn't going to be a slouch though, especially considering how much average power you're going to be seeing.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:31 PM

I should have just built a bigger NA motor! I was hoping for at least 600hp. If I only get 100hp with this bastard I’m going to be disappointed. Well at least you guys prepped me for it sucking. I’m not really a car shoe person and if this thing just makes a sc sound and don’t move out a little bit this thing is going on the chopping block. I don’t need over 800hp but was hoping 600+ at least. I’m going to slap probably a 2.9 pulley but that’s all they seem to handle. Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Time to sell a kidney for a real charger lol. Should have just went turbo!

Old 12-24-2022, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You probably still can go with a turbocharger. If you can do the hot/cold side fabrication you may even be able to do it nominally for the same cost as the torque storm.

I’d start with the pre-fabbed turbo manifolds that are available and look at a BorgWarner airworks series turbocharger. Something in the s470-480 range are typically sized appropriately for a 460ish in Pontiac. One of those things will give you the ability to make enough power to split the block.

Old 12-24-2022, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah seriously go with a turbo why waste your time w what Doesn’t do the job you’re looking to do . Can package a couple of China turbos and make good HP cheap if money is the issue. Although a single is always more efficient sounds like you’re looking for cool factor and people think twins are so DOPE .lol I’m more of a build it for performance and forget the DOPE / BLING BS kinda guy. But I understand that is important to some. I’m not gonna knock anyone for what they want to do but this contraption doesn’t sound like it’s gonna do what you want it to do and isn’t that the real goal.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 12-24-2022, 03:40 PM

What do you guys think of this? We have a tig welder do putting it together isn’t a complete issue

https://www.stainlessheaders.com/i-3...build-kit.html

Old 12-24-2022, 03:45 PM

I have played with turbos so it’s not completely foreign. I have a turbo bike, GSXR 750. It’s about 225hp and 450 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9DF1FF67-76E4-4E31-9CB9-563E04D26AA0.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	604016