Old 02-04-2023, 09:31 PM

Default 1966 Star Chief

Did they ever make a luggage rack/roof basket to go on top of the 1966 4 door Star Chief? I can only assume a Bonneville would be the same thing?

Old 02-27-2023, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think GM ever did. Aftermarket maybe. But I know one thing, I'd never put one on a classic Pontiac. That trunk should be big enough to hold most anything you need to carry. Try 4 teenagers in it that want to get into a drive-in movie.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Smile roof rack

"Try 4 teenagers in it that want to get into a drive-in movie."

I did exactly that in 1966.
We went to a drive in on a Friday night.
4 friends in the trunk and the spare tire sitting on the front passenger seat in my 58 Bonneville convertible.
The vinyl cover between the trunk and the back seat was torn, PERFECT.
When we pulled up to the ticket booth, the young girl looked at the tire, smiled and asked how many.
My friend Mike stuck his hand through the cover with one finger and shouted "One Please"
She laughed and sold us the one ticket.

One of those high school events I'll always smile and remember!

Semper Fi
Old 02-28-2023, 11:50 PM

There was a rooftop luggage carrier in the factory accessories brochure, one of those canvas things that you could put luggage inside and then zip it up. They also had a ski rack. http://oldcarbrochures.org/United%20...let/index.html However, chances are most people who wanted a luggage rack got one from the local parts store or the Sears catalog.