Old 03-06-2023, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1965 Bonneville Safari Wagon

Was at the Dr. George Show in La Quinta, CA a couple weeks ago and there was a 1965 Bonneville wagon there that had a third seat and a window sticker that had some interesting options, and I'm trying to figure out whether it was the real deal or not. Could you order the third seat on a Bonneville? Owner had the hood down and I couldn't get a look at the engine bay or data plate. Some of the options on the window sticker I wasn't aware of but that really doesn't mean much since I'm not up to what was available for 1965. Is there a listing of options similar to the accessory option list I found for '67 GTO's for the '65 Pontiacs?

Here is a photo of the window sticker. Looks aged but I know there are companies that will age them. The seller said the typed-in last item on the sticker was the third seat option. I also thought that the boxed '65 frames didn't need or offer a heavy duty option above that, and where would the listed frame X-member go?

The owner had the roof rack re-chromed and it was perfect, then he told us what it cost and I will just continue to clean mine up with chrome polish every so often.

I would suspect this is a pretty rare wagon if it is correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Sticker 65 Bonne Wagon.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	608479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari Wagon.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	608480  

Old 03-07-2023, 01:44 AM

I know three seat Bonneville wagons were available in 1966, I'm not sure about 1965.

edit: According to John Gunnell's book 75 Years of Pontiac-Oakland, nine passenger Bonneville wagons started in 1966. So, it appears the Bonneville wagon was only available in a six passenger configuration in 1965.

Since Bonneville and Catalina wagons shared the same wheelbase, it would be straightforward to mix and match parts to build a nine passenger Bonneville wagon.

Last edited by Stuart; 03-07-2023 at 01:55 AM.